Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why no Winter Prog festivals?

Have you looked out your windows today. SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The mellotrons tend to freeze up
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Just sitting here now with the realization the holidays are over and I need to face the Winter with no Live Prog to see/talk about.
    Are you in the Seattle/Tacoma area?

Clearly Beloved- Jan 16 @ Barboza (They are a great local prog/folk band with a bit of Avant thrown in)
    Mike Stern & Eric Johnson- Feb 8 @ The Triple Door

There are a number of local bands doing really interesting music in Seattle/Tacoma right now. Most are not in the Symph style though, if you're tied to that.

Autumn Electric (the most symph band on the list mixed with indie/folk)
    Moraine
    Clearly Beloved
    Mercury Tree (out of Portland, but they do play up here)
    Midday Veil
    Master Musicians of Bukkake (space-drone stuff)

There are a number more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

No festivals, but there are usually some pretty cool local shows in the winter months that will certainly cost less money than a plane ticket to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Mike Stern & Eric Johnson- Feb 8 @ The Triple Door
    I just saw Mike Stern Sunday evening in DC. First live show for Dennis Chambers since whatever happened to him last year. He was good but didn't have the over the top bombastic rolls that he usually has. I was talking with him and wouldn't even have recognized him in the mall.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Andrea noticed this over coffee this morning. Too bad we found out about it a day too late. Very bummed to have missed something like this that took place so close by.Winter Prog 001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Andrea noticed this over coffee this morning. Too bad we found out about it a day too late. Very bummed to have missed something like this that took place so close by.Winter Prog 001.jpg
    I wonder if it has ever been mentioned on this site. If it has I sure don't remember seeing anything about it. I know that if I was reading the newspaper while drinking my coffee and saw that I'd probably spit my coffee all over the paper because you very rarely see or hear prog mentioned off the internet.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Newears is having a one-day festival in Boston on January 17th.
    Looks like a good one, too. http://www.regenttheatre.com/details..._showcase_2015

Zombie Frog, a ProgDay alumnus, was to play, but they are out and Mindset X is in.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Looks like a good one, too. http://www.regenttheatre.com/details..._showcase_2015

Zombie Frog, a ProgDay alumnus, was to play, but they are out and Mindset X is in.
    Wow - when did that change happen? Oh well...
    <sig out of order>

I really wish we could get up there for this, but it just can't heppen. I'd be especially keen to see/hear Eccentric Orbit, but the whole thing looks good.

bummer about the Frogs!!

Holy crap, I didn't know anything about that either. I'm even closer than you are, Jon, so I would have tried to go. Oh well, maybe see you there at next year's, if they have one.

I've always wondered this too. I think something over President's Day weekend would make sense. Cold as hell but 3 days off so no rushing home Sunday night needed and 3 months away from other festivals on either side of the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Wow - when did that change happen? Oh well...
    It just happened earlier this week. We got a poster promoting the show with ZF on it, then a couple of days later got a revised one with Mindset X. I don't know any of the details, apparently one of the band members had some sort of issue.

I really wish we could get up there for this, but it just can't heppen. I'd be especially keen to see/hear Eccentric Orbit, but the whole thing looks good.
    Two days to go, we're looking forward to it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Two days to go, we're looking forward to it.

Bill
    Same here. I saw your show at the Magic Room 2 or 3 years ago and loved it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    It just happened earlier this week. We got a poster promoting the show with ZF on it, then a couple of days later got a revised one with Mindset X. I don't know any of the details, apparently one of the band members had some sort of issue.
    l
    Yeah, I went to the FB page for the festival and tracked it down. I'm sure we're going to have a good time.
    <sig out of order>

I'm psyched you guys are coming! We'll try not to disappoint.

We should be better than the Magic Room. Much as I loved playing there, we didn't have very good sound on the stage, so we struggled a lot at first. I think it got better as the show progressed. We'll have a good soundcheck before this gig, so I think it will be smoother.

Glad folks enjoyed the show anyway... it was a mixed bag for us.

Bill