Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 latency issues

^^^With all due respect, my take on name brand/off the shelf PCs is that they are usually cheaper than build your own machines. The single biggest cost savings being the Windows operating system. They also tend to use cheaper (inferior quality) parts than you would use if you were building your own machine.

FWIW, I have always built my own machines - for sound editing (LP transfers and clean ups many years ago) and for my professional stuff - enterprise Oracle databases. I am getting very near the end of my rope with Windows 7, and have no interest in 8 or 8.1. But I also fear that I won't have much more ease in doing my database stuff on a Mac. I figure I'll go Linux some day.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    It's like everything else- you can have something that's turn-key or something that costs less; generally not both. Either approach is valid, it just depends on what you need.
    But, the huge difference, IMO, is not cost. It's user experience and stability. Moreover, Macs are simply more intuitive for the average user.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Shoot! I'm still using Windows XP on a machine with nothing else running in the backround. It's kind of like a recording-only platform with Sonar and an Edirol UA-5. The latency is 3 ms. I don't even notice it!

If I had to get a new rig, I'd probably go the Mac route. However, it's waaay more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Moreover, Macs are simply more intuitive for the average user.
    Yes, to some degree perhaps (or perhaps more friendly to new computer users who haven't yet been exposed to the Windows experience for long periods of time), but once you start using DAW software I don't think there's a very large gap in terms of user-friendly-ness.
    <sig out of order>

Agreed. Both will run DAW software. (One will do it natively.)

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Shoot! I'm still using Windows XP on a machine with nothing else running in the backround.
    Treat it nice. Replacement hardware is unavailable and Microsoft is no longer supporting XP so the software is orphaned too. That was my favorite Windows version -- the best mix of capability, speed and minimum bloat. I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Treat it nice. Replacement hardware is unavailable and Microsoft is no longer supporting XP so the software is orphaned too. That was my favorite Windows version -- the best mix of capability, speed and minimum bloat. I miss it.
    So true - it was so successful that it hurt Microsft somewhat: People and businesses were so happy with it that subsequent versions of Windows weren't in demand when they came out and didnt sell as well (especially that horsehit called Vista)...Moreso, the "XP" designation didn't date itself by calling itself the year it was made like 95 or 2000...Kind of like a lightbulb company that makes a lightbulb with a lifetime filament: ya cant sell lightbulbs if the one you have never burns out

The computer I use to run sequences on stage with the working showband I play bass/sing/syn bass for is nine or ten years old and it has XP and it runs like a champ (which is also a tribute to Toshiba, who made the actual hardware)

Our primary machine for final mixes/mastering is an XP machine with an older version of Sound Forge on it. Runs like a tank.

Each new Windows version is announced as "Microsoft's suicide note" yet their embedded business base ensures the corpse continues staggering along.

Meanwhile, IT runs thirty 'emergency software security updates' every Tuesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klothos
    Kind of like a lightbulb company that makes a lightbulb with a lifetime filament
    Never understood why Microsoft wanted their products to be perishable, like fruit -- well, yes I do too. They only get a licensing fee upfront, at initial sale.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 01-01-2015 at 12:20 PM.