Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Progressive punk?

What Mr. Scrotum said, plus:

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

...and

Last edited by spacefreak; 12-25-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    What Mr. Scrotum said, plus:
    Aaarh, The Pop Group! One of the absolute greatest post-punk groups altogether!

My copy of For How Much Longer Will We Tolerate Mass Murder remains one of my most cherished assets from the days of collecting 80s UK music. Those newspaper inserts read together with the immense force of that soundtrack - damn, this was a different dimension to "rock power" all the same!

Did you hear Mark Stewart's first solo outing, Spyros? When the Veneer of Democracy Starts to Fade? This is arguably one of the most challenging and dense sound recordings released by a UK artist during that decade, almost inpenetrable - yet such a rewarding listen once you DO get to the bottom of it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Maybe Gang of Four... "Entertainment" comes to mind
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 12-25-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    Still alive and well...

The clash, Sandinista fits the bill somewhat
    Still alive and well...

yep... both of those are great 'progressive' minded Punk albums
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Did you hear Mark Stewart's first solo outing, Spyros? When the Veneer of Democracy Starts to Fade? This is arguably one of the most challenging and dense sound recordings released by a UK artist during that decade, almost inpenetrable - yet such a rewarding listen once you DO get to the bottom of it.
    Yes, I have this one from back at the times and I think it is among the very best albums Mute ever issued. Adrian Sherwood brinks that On-U Sound big soundsystems fat beat over an nightmarish industrial aesthetic. "The Resistance Of The Cell" is a track I used to overplay. The gateway to stuff like Cassandra Complex, Front Line Assembly, Atari Teenage Riot etc.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 12-25-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

My first two thoughts were The Stranglers and early XTC. But if anyone has seen Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School Of Medicine live know that some of his solo stuff crosses the border (and he is a prog fan).
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Skafish. They even used trons.

Melt banana?

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Melt banana?
    Yes, I mentioned them - and some 35 others. D'YA HEAR!!?

Great band, btw. Amazing live unit, also for people not usually into hard or grind.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Gang Of Four I really struggled with; I found them rather dry and didactic. I struggled with The Pop Group as well, for similar reasons. Very hard work. But I did try!
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-22-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Yeah skafish... Lol... Do the Sign of the cross, it'll make you feel real boss. Very odd band indeed.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I struggled with The Pop Group as well, for similar reasons. Very hard work. But I did try!
    Which album did you start with, JJ? 'Cause the Y record is a far better outset than Millions.

Did you experience the same impression with the Pop Group's "cousin bands", Slits and Crass?

Wow. You people really know your stuff. Excellent choices that have already been mentioned: XTC, Minutemen, The Stranglers, Cardiacs, Pop Group, PiL, This Heat, Cheer-Accident, ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead and Wire. Damn, I love all those bands!!!

I'll throw a couple out there: Pere Ubu, Saccharine Trust, 31 Knots, Honey For Petzi and Faraquet.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Which album did you start with, JJ? 'Cause the Y record is a far better outset than Millions.

Did you experience the same impression with the Pop Group's "cousin bands", Slits and Crass?
    'Y' was actually the one I tried, and yes, The Slits had much the same impression on me. The latter band I could at least hear the reggae influence (as opposed to 'punk-funk' where I often hear no funk at all), although I'd rather listen to the real thing.

Crass I only know by name.

Two bands I've always considered my little secret that I'm sure not many here have heard of: Medications and The Plastic Constellations. Both are now defunct. Medications was from DC and on the Dischord label, TPC was from Minneapolis. Both had the aesthetic of punk bands, but definite prog influences. Each released a few albums that are worth seeking out.

Medications:

The Plastic Constellations:

I was gonna say Medications. (Bastard!!!) Really cool band. And I totally forgot about The Plastic Constellations. I liked them quite a bit.

Thank you for both of those!!!

You people never cease to amaze me with your depth of musical knowledge.
    The Prog Corner

Usually the Cardiacs are the band who are considered to be prog punk (or vice versa)more than anyone else. I think they are usually at the top of the list.

There is also:

Stranglers
    Soft Boys
    Television
    Pere Ubu
    The Tubes (the early stuff anyway)
    PIL
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 12-26-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Rik L Rik was big in the LA and Hollywood punk scene around 1978-80. He passed away from brain cancer. Not sure if this fits the drift here, I think it might. One night there was a booze party at my house in Alhambra Ca. and I caught him going through my dresser drawers. I knew him but not that well. My brother was good friends with him though. He was also in a band called F-word.
    Still alive and well...

You have to admit, connecting the two genres in any real sense is pretty difficult. But I believe that many of the bands listed here (I listened to all of them) were in some way influenced by prog that had come before. In the latter 70s I moved from my trusty prog rock into this punk and new wave territory and found there was some common ground lyrically and philosophically, if not common musicality and sensibility. I avoided the hardcore like black flag and the germs, social distortion etc.... Many of the british punk bands were more to my liking with their more intelligent lyrics and sense of artistic flair.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 12-26-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Also adding: Massacre. I mean, jeez, the song "Killing Time" is like the poster child for this whole thread. And I guess Naked City/Torture Garden.

- Matt

Massacre Killing Time is apex also Chrome deserves another mention same for James White (or Chance) and the 1st Television record.

[You have to admit, connecting the two genres in any real sense is pretty difficult. ]

Or is it?

You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.