Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Album that finally "grabbed you"(2014 Edition)

Leonard Cohen. In general. My wife was a longtime fan and I just couldn't get past his relatively limited range, despite his lyrics being some of the sharpest, wittiest this side of Lyle Lovett and Randy Newman.

But I didn't get him at all until I saw his tour hit Molde, Norway in 2010. For a guy who was touring to refill his coffers after pretty much being financially decimated by his then-manager, Cohen could have done the easy thing and played 90 minutes of big hits, with a small group. Instead, he brought a large band with instruments from around the world and delivered nearly three hours of songs mostly familiar but some less so. It was impressive, and his voice had clearly aged like a fine wine.

Then I began checking out his catalog, all of which my wife had and, while it was good, it still didn't quite hit me.

And then, the release of Old Ideas and, this year, Popular Problems. Cohen isn't just at the top of his game, he's delivered two of the very best records of his career as he hit 80 this year. Live in Dublin, a three-CD/Blu Ray release also out this year, finally captured a full live performance...and what a show.

All three records have caused me to go back to his earlier records with new ears, though I still prefer his grizzled voice as it is today to his smoother tone from the '60s/'70s. But the writing and production of many of those records? Fantastic, and while he may not have much vocal range, the film I'm Your Man, a tribute where many known artists tried to interpret his songs and, with the exception of Teddy Thompson (because he got it), failed because in their objective of showing how well they could sing, they forgot about the core of his Cohen's music and poetry. Thompson got it because his delivery was as understated and nuanced (well, almost) as Cohen's...no doubt his lineage (Richard & Linda Thompson) has taught him the same lesson: that when you sing with subtlety and delicate nuance you don't need to go all melisma on the material, because the slightest gesture becomes dramatic enough.

Anyway, I would say my 'getting it' artist for 2014 is Leonard Cohen, and for those who've not heard Popular Problems, it's also exceptionally well produced, with Cohen's voice way out in front and sounding better than ever whether he's talking his way through a song or actually singing. The instrumentation is mixed in an unusual but very intriguing fashion, and the way they readjust the stereo landscape when background vocals come in is just wonderful.

The album also sounds better in the air, so while headphones are fine, my recommendation is to play them on the best speakers you can, because it really makes a difference.

"Daughter of Time" by Colosseum

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This isn't one I'd been trying at, but in 2014 I discovered Rodriguez and his album Cold Fact, thanks to the documentary Searching for Sugar Man.

It quickly became my go-to album for Sunday mornings. Every song is just perfect.

Amon Duul--Phallus Dei--I liked some of their other stuff like Yeti, but PD always alluded me.

Brainticket--Cottonwood Hill too.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This isn't one I'd been trying at, but in 2014 I discovered Rodriguez and his album Cold Fact, thanks to the documentary Searching for Sugar Man.

It quickly became my go-to album for Sunday mornings. Every song is just perfect.
    At one stage I had both this album and his other one, Coming From Reality, on cassette, and I'd say I prefer CFR.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    At one stage I had both this album and his other one, Coming From Reality, on cassette, and I'd say I prefer CFR.
    I have that one but haven't listened to it yet. I just like the first so much, especially the simplicity of it.

Just remembered another favorite release of 2014: Braindance - Master of Disguise. 12 years since their last album, and it was well worth the wait!

White willow- terminal twilight. If you haven't heard this you missing a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by schlongasaurus View Post
    White willow- terminal twilight. If you haven't heard this you missing a gem!
    I'll second this!

I'm waiting to see if Scrotum has the balls to disagree with schlong's tip.

It took me until about 2 years ago to realize what a unique and talented vocalist Karen Carpenter was. The "Close To You" album is brilliant imo.

The same music I used to laugh at and dismiss, now has me shaking my head every time I hear her sing, at my missing her immense talent years ago. Too many drugs, I suspect. Her brother was a superb arranger as well. Now that I've spent a few more years on the planet, I realize that music is either good or bad, not cool or lame.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I don't know if this counts but one of the things I loved about Genesis Revisited 2 and tour---is there were old Genesis songs that I couldn't really fully appreciated because the suck ass production always got in the way---these new recordings of certain songs have given them new life and good production has made me fully appreciate those songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    Incredible album isn't it?? There's been a few that I have rediscovered and loved, but the most recent for me is Rush: Grace Under Pressure. I've always loved tunes like Kid Gloves Red Lenses, but this fall I've grown to love every tune, and the production is wonderful. Now I think it's one of Rush's strongest albums ever. Afterimage is stellar
    agree--Don Juan is a great listen and one of her more proggy records---and I'm not a Rush fanboy but do think Grace is one of their more fully realized albums.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nothing for couple of years, the most recent wee probably Henry Cow - In Praise Of Learning (Dagmar had been driving me batshit for years)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    there were old Genesis songs that I couldn't really fully appreciate because the suck ass production always got in the way
    You mean the lovely audio-patina that marks the songs as masterpieces of Progressive Rock's glory days?

I will take those Genesis originals any day over Steve Hackett versions.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I will take those Genesis originals any day over Steve Hackett versions.
    The thing is, you don't really have to pick though. They don't exclude each other

VdGG World Record

Oh how could I forget, CAN - Ege Bamyasi?! Oh man, HATED it for a long time because I couldn't get passed "Pinch". Well, I skipped Pinch one day and heard the rest - WOW. I must've played it on repeat for a week. I'd spin it on the way home from school and crank up "One More Saturday Night" until the sides of the van shook. I even went back and made peace with Pinch. A MASTERPIECE!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The thing is, you don't really have to pick though. They don't exclude each other
    Yeah, I gotta admit I have both! Genesis Revisited 2 however probably won't be getting much playtime.