Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Moth Tales - Cocoon

Tiger Moth Tales - Cocoon

Yeah, you know this scenario very, very well...someone sends you a link on Facebook or whatever, a track or two for a new artist, says it's great etc and you should listen.

Sometimes you get the time, but most of the time not...and often when you do it rarely grabs you the way you have been led to believe.

Had that happen to me yesterday, a good friend send me a link to a few tracks. Played them and first impression was intriguing enough to have me check out the album on the website.

Now the influences are obvious for those who listen, won't even bother to list them.

But I'll tell you...after a listen to a few tracks I just bought it straight away...instantly. Never made a decision so quick.

Played the album through yesterday and was blown away. I was as cynical as most probably reading this would be, like I say we all get similar requests and they very rarely bear fruit. Especially when such an album is said to be in the style of certain well-known prog bands.

Is it Prog?...well of course. Is it derivative? Sure...but I think this guy (and it is just one guy) has made something pretty darn good.

I keep hearing new and different things every time I listen to it. It's a big, powerful, massively detailed and intricate work. Kind of a kitchen sink affair with everything thrown in.

Interesting to read about the artist too, but won't go into that now, check out the website if its your bag. Sound samples of all the tracks. Tigers In The Butter is my absolute fave...but even the quirky, narrated, jaunty tracks like The Merry Vicar, and A Visit to Chigwick, a tribute to a well known English kids tv show are very entertaining. Closer Don't Let Go, Feels Alright is epic and majestic.

I'm shamelessly gushing, I know...but I am still taken aback at how quickly this album took hold and hooked me, something that has not happened to me for years.

It reminds me in some ways of Kevin Gilberts Shaming Of The True, maybe not conceptually or thematically, but in the sense of a similar 'one man band' epic that impressed me all those years ago...I know that's a lofty comparison, but I get the same feeling with this as I did with that album some years ago.

http://www.tigermothtales.com/

Oh...and thanks again Chris...
    Last edited by Rogue Mail; 12-23-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Thank you Rogue Mail for those kind words. I've been knocking about this forum for a while, and I've mentioned the album a couple of times, but its always hard to plug your own thing without it looking like one is saying "Oo look at me!" if you see what I mean. So it does mean a lot to have such a glowing recommendation from a 3rd party so to speak. Thank you for your custom and I'm glad you're enjoying Cocoon.
    As for my influences, they are of course such as you hint at, but also things ranging from Indian classical music and other classical works, to the daft music and humour of things like the Goons and the Bonzo Dog Doo-dah band etc. So really anything goes, from the subtle and mystical, to the macabre and the downright daft. And querky is always good.

Thanks again for your comments sir.

It can be hard work trying to get some of us Prog Ears members interested in trying something different. Many of us a very much stuck in our ways unfortunately. We're likely to be more interested in ranking Marillion albums than have our ears opened by something new and exciting.
    But when something like Cocoon does come around (and for me it doesn't happen that often) I will always try and make some like minded people aware of it (even if it does often go on deaf ears).
    The two tracks on the bandcamp page are awesome. Once 'Tigers In The Butter' kicks in after the 2 1/2 minutes of perhaps self indulgent soundscapes (sorry) it's stunning. Unfortunately the appeal of 'A Visit To Chigwick' will be lost on everyone except people who are over 45 years old and from the UK. It's influenced by a series of late 60s classic children's TV programmes. It was a trip down memory lane for me and I'm sure it will be for many of us UK fans.
    This is my favourite album so far this year. I can't stop playing it.

http://tigermothtales.bandcamp.com/album/cocoon

Old man of prog
    Well I won't get the references to the Brit TV shows but this 58yr old Yank is blown away by this album. Just bought it off bandcamp. Thanks for the Xmas recommendation

What a great album. Kind of reminds me of Hackett's 'Please Don't Touch' in places and a few other Genesis snippets here and there, 'Duke' piano sounds I think. Very nostalgic and beautifully performed.

Quote Originally Posted by refugee View Post
    What a great album. Kind of reminds me of Hackett's 'Please Don't Touch' in places and a few other Genesis snippets here and there, 'Duke' piano sounds I think. Very nostalgic and beautifully performed.
    I agree, the Hackett influence dominates the album for me, but there are many others.

Also hearing a smattering of It Bites, circa Once Around The World era influence on subsequent listens.

One of those albums that is not strictly prog, but yet most prog fans I know possess a copy of that album...and those that don't...should.

Yep Have to agree with everyone the Steve Hackett influence is defiantly there , not stopped playing this since getting from Bandcamp cheers Peter!! (Now if Lambsie has heard the Album no better place to showcase it than at Summers End).

Just finishing the track Tigers In The Butter, on Bandcamp and I was so excited by this track that I had to come post here about it! Great song!

Will be buying this right away.

Thanks so much chaps for the great feedback. Yes, I'm a huge hacketteer, guilty as charged. Even got a sustainiac fitted to try and get somewhere near that guitar sound. But perhaps just as importantly, I really respect Steve Hackett as a song writer, and his ability to go from the sublime to the rediculous really appeals to me, especially on his earlier albums. Spectral Mornings and Please Don't Touch are great examples of this. Thanks to all those who've downloaded Cocoon or bought a hard copy. It means a lot. Hope the festive season is treating you well.

I bought it on Sunday and have given it one full listen. I also listened several times separately to Tigers In The Butter and Don't Let Go, Feels Alright, both of which pack quite a punch on both technical and emotional levels. All-around solid musicianship for each of the instruments that you played. Standouts: the singing is very well done; for a brief time during each of the aforementioned tracks when you were in full-on "emote" mode, I would've sworn I was hearing Paul Carrack, so good on you! As others have noted, in many spots this indeed has a very similar feel to the most recent three or four Steve Hackett releases, especially in both the style and delivery of the guitar work and the layered vocals. My only 2 criticisms are (1) that it takes a while for things to get going; there is a lot of sound effect / soundscape stuff happening in the first few bits before things started to gel, and (2) the song about the island of witches with its long-ish spoken part at the outset and its placement at the beginning of the album kind of misled me to think that the whole of Cocoon was going to be a concept about that. Small matters, though. The production throughout is really superb; the mix is crystal clear and very well balanced. Again, this is just after a single listen. I'll give it a more thorough review once I've heard it a few more times.
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 12-28-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Hi folks. Thought I'd post again quickly. I noticed that the isle of witches has drawn a slightly bemused reaction, as it has in other quarters. Who could blame you? I wrote it and I freely admit, it's bloody wier. However, if you want to know more about it or to at least know what it has to do with the rest of the album, you can hear all about it here:
    https://soundcloud.com/tiger-moth-ta...ches-explained
    I've done explanation tracks for all the songs on the album. If you do desire to know more about Cocoon, or you just have an afternoon to kill you can find them all on my soundcloud page:
    https://soundcloud.com/tiger-moth-tales
    Hope this helps, and thanks for listening.

Well what a year it's been. I'm so glad the album finally made it out there, and I'm forever in debt to Rob and Will at Whiteknight who made it happen and who I now think of as good friends. Also, I'm very grateful to all who bought the album, who gave such great feedback and who spread the word. I can't believe I'm having the nerve to even say this, but hey you've got to be a trier. I've seen that Teamrock are doing a poll for various categories of Prog for 2014. Its a bit unclear when voting ends, but the results will be in Prog 53, published Feb 4th. To be even nominated would be a great experience, so if any of you think I may be elegeable for any categories, plese click here to find more details and how to nominate. http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-1...ders-poll-2014 As I say, cheeky but worth a try. I sincerely thank you in advance for any votes. Once again, hope you're enjoying the festive season.

Also decided to order me a 'hard' copy of the album. Like the artwork, and always find sound quality on actual CD releases better than downloads anyway.

One interesting point is that I tend to alter the playing order to suit, for me it seems to work best like this -

1. Tigers In The Butter
    2.The First Lament
    3. The Merry Vicar
    4. The Isle of Witches
    5. A Visit to Chigwick
    6. Don't Let Go, Feels Alright
    7.Overture.

Tigers in The Butter was the first track that really stood out on first listen, and has become my fave. For me it makes a great opener, even considering the length.

Yeah I know...I left out the four seasons...but the album flows better for me this way.

And it may seem odd having the Overture as a closer, but it actually rounds off the album nicely to my ears.

Plus I had to have Chigwick after Witches to lighten the mood. I don't dislike Witches, but I will say if there is any one track I may be tempted to skip when listening, it might be that one.

Will check out the teamrock thing...though not familiar with it.

Ok...voted for the album as best on the teamrock link. Don't really bother with those types of polls normally. Don't normally hold with the concept of putting certain musicians and artists on pedestals. It's not about what or who is the best, but what I like to listen to.

I also believe most people vote blindly for the musicians in their fave bands regardless, with no imagination or objectivity...ie all the members of Yes will get best vocalist, keyboard player, guitarist, drummer etc by certain people...because that is their favorite band.

That said if I think an album is a standout, (which I think this is), happy to give it a shout.

"Ok...voted for the album as best on the teamrock link. Don't really bother with those types of polls normally. Don't normally hold with the concept of putting certain musicians and artists on pedestals. It's not about what or who is the best, but what I like to listen to."
    Thank you Rogue Mail. Great novel by the way. To be honest I agree with you, and I felt a bit rude asking for votes, but since I'm a newby, anything that possible gets the album more awareness is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I also agree with you about how people vote. For instance, I don't suppose there's any doubt that it'll be Jordan Rudess scooping the best keyboard player spot again. I'm not saying he isn't, but you know that a lot of people will just be voting for Dream Theatre in some way for every category etc. I voted in a poll recently, and I tried to be a bit imaginative with it. Stil its interesting to know how people vote. Many thanks for your nomination sir. You're a gent. Pete

Just bought this on Bandcamp. I'm so grateful to the OP for helping to bring this music to my attention, and of course to you Pete for making it. It deserves to get even more attention, and I'm confident it will.

Tigers In The Butter is spine-tingling for me in the same way as Los Endos or Awaken. I will be telling my friends about this one.

Very gratifying to see others being turned on to this incredible album as well. And it's all down to the music, not just because any of us are trying to hype it. I admit I know Kris and have done for some years, he was the one who turned me on to it.

I just received my actual physical copy of the CD today, always like to have the actual item. Apart from better sound quality, good to have all the lyrics, artwork, and also some explanatory liner notes from Pete on the background, influences and thoughts behind the music.

Another thought that struck me the other day is that the feel of some of the album for me harks back to Trick Of The Tail era Genesis. I know a few have said it is more akin to Duke era...but I personally don't really hear so much of that.

Another friend I turned on to the album mentioned Spocks Beard/Flower Kings...must admit that also makes sense, then again those bands were also influenced by the major prog bands, so it's all relative I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Just bought this on Bandcamp. I'm so grateful to the OP for helping to bring this music to my attention, and of course to you Pete for making it. It deserves to get even more attention, and I'm confident it will.

Tigers In The Butter is spine-tingling for me in the same way as Los Endos or Awaken. I will be telling my friends about this one.

Totally agree about Tigers In The Butter, was the first track that really jumped out at me and still my fave. The Los Endos similarity is there, but then track becomes it's own thing entirely.

As I mentioned in my original post, so many bands and artists have made a career out of slavishly and shamelessly aping the older bands, but for me the ones who survive and stay the course are those that use those influences sparingly, and yet develop their own style and sound around them.

Since we are talking about influences, there are parallels here with Magenta's Revolutions. Another album that was very honest and upfront about it's prog influences and made no bones about them. And was all the more enjoyable for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Totally agree about Tigers In The Butter, was the first track that really jumped out at me and still my fave. The Los Endos similarity is there, but then track becomes it's own thing entirely.

As I mentioned in my original post, so many bands and artists have made a career out of slavishly and shamelessly aping the older bands, but for me the ones who survive and stay the course are those that use those influences sparingly, and yet develop their own style and sound around them.

Since we are talking about influences, there are parallels here with Magenta's Revolutions. Another album that was very honest and upfront about it's prog influences and made no bones about them. And was all the more enjoyable for it.
    We are in complete agreement, I think, regarding the influences and their usage in new music. The comparison to Los Endos and Awaken was more to provide context, because Tigers In The Butter really doesn't sound like either to me -- but they all contain spine-tingling moments.

Love the middle section with the recurring "we live our lives in fantasy" lyric. Something about that melody is transcendent.

Haven't heard Magenta's Revolutions album, I must confess. Rather enjoyed their albums Seven and their newest one though.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    We are in complete agreement, I think, regarding the influences and their usage in new music. The comparison to Los Endos and Awaken was more to provide context, because Tigers In The Butter really doesn't sound like either to me -- but they all contain spine-tingling moments.

Love the middle section with the recurring "we live our lives in fantasy" lyric. Something about that melody is transcendent.

Haven't heard Magenta's Revolutions album, I must confess. Rather enjoyed their albums Seven and their newest one though.

What I like about Tigers is that the Genesis nod is only fleeting, but the track the develops into something else and introduces many different, original themes...even has a kind of poppy/easy listening vibe to it in places.

I am also beginning to appreciate The Merry Widow even more for it's sheer absurdity, quirkiness and sheer bloody madness!

The only track I struggle with a little is The Isle Of Witches...it's nicely atmospheric, but feels like there is a little too much filler and ambience, and the music never seems to develop and get going. But yet I can still listen to it.

On current listen, that four note motif introduced in the Overture, continued in Tigers and also a variation of it introduced in the last third of Don't Let Go, Feels Alright becomes more pronounced. In fact that whole last section of this track has a very dreamy, ethereal quality to it which I adore.

Not been on here for a while but just checked in. Thanks again for all the great feedback and I'm glad people are enjoying Cocoon. Also just thought I'd let folks know that tonight I'll be interviewed live on the House of Prog by the Prog Doctor himself, Marty Dorfman! He plans to play the Tiger Moth Tales album Cocoon in it's entirety, and inbetween tracks we'll be chatting about the album. If you're at home and you fancy it you can catch the show live over at: www.houseofprog.org Starts at 8, UK time. Also, I'm very happy and humbled to announce that Cocoon appears in the latest issue of Classic Rock Society magazine. Here's a photo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...on%20Photo.jpg Thanks to everyone here for your generous support.

Didn't manage to catch the radio prog Pete, but I have been catching up on your track-by-track commentaries on Facebook. Very interesting stuff, useful to learn of the inspiration behind the various songs.

The Merry Vicar definitely now carries an added significance on subsequent listens.

Yeap ! Like some of you, heard a few songs and had no doubt in my mind that I have to get it. Just bought it.

https://www.mixcloud.com/widget/ifra...de_tracklist=1

This is the link for the re-streaming of the House of Prog interview with Pete Jones....along with the rest of the show.