Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: This Pope Continues To Be A Beautiful Anomaly!

I haven't been a practicing Catholic in 40 years but from what I remember the Pope's infallibility is only in effect when making certain specific theological rulings. And such rulings can the be subject to a later Pope's infallible ruling in case the first Pope's infallible ruling was actually wrong.

I converted to Roman Catholicism 15 years ago, after being an evangelical, tongue talking, holy roller for 20 years. I wanted to be "normal" for once in my life. You don't know religious fanaticism until you've been to a pentecostal church.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    we can certainly demand that they not become violent and murderous about it, either.
    Sorry Scott, I'm still cracking up about this. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Yes. That's what is written. But, to paraphrase the pope, don't be surprised if the guy you've just insulted hasn't gotten to that part of the book. Therefore, until everyone is on the same page: don't insult!

That's his message.
    wouldn't (or shouldn't) his message be : "turn the other cheek"??

As an atheist, I kind of like his un-pope stance.... But the whole world thought that the sinsiter pole or the ex-Hitler Youth predecessors were also progressists... I kind of doubt that this Argentinian Junta alumni will really renovate anything... he's just trying to recuperate lost sheeps that have strayed to other chapels.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Scott, with respect, you're in a dream world. The only thing those people understand is strength through brutality. I'm a peace and love hippy at heart, but I'm no pacifist. We're at war with ideologies. These cowards only understand violence as a means to an end. They have no remorse. I hope they die bloody, violent, torturous deaths.
    indeed... I'm all for pig parts used in bullets against in those terrorists interventions... That way, their prime goal (die as a martyr) will not be met, since their bodies become impure... I mean, the last thing we should do is allow them to think they will go to their paradise after their deeds. Their bodies thrown in an incinerator along with our house trash... Human shits killing innocents (or non-innocents, FTM) in the name of religions don't deserve a sepulture and funeral rites.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I want everybody to read the Quran and especially the passages which deal with how non-compliant people are to be treated. There is no religion which is more permissive of violence towards the non-compliant.
    you almost had me April fooled (you should use smileys)

that "quran" thing is one of the most intolerant "sacred books", because there are around a dozens call for murders - including the one for apostasy >> those wanting to leave the jail of islam (or any religion FTM)
    Last edited by Trane; 01-18-2015 at 03:10 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I have an iranian friend who (in Iran) went to koran-school for several years. His opinion is that islam = fascism.
    He can back it up, he knows the koran, hadith & sharia. He has lost several friends among danish liberals/leftwingers by just saying this loud.
    There seems to be a general idea among many liberals/leftwingers that (all) muslims are surpressed, which leads to a brain-melt-down, so they cant actually see whats going on. Many of them have longer educations, but it the case of islam, oddly enough, they dont use statistics. Its just individual non connected incidents that can be explained away in long speaches. And islam as a religion is just parallel to other religions - the political dimension (which is at least half of islam) is ignored. Mostly no one has actually read in the koran, hadith & sharia, because (I suppose) it might lead to a change of opinion.

Islam needs a reformation (like in Martin Luther) to take out the parts about, world dominance, threats to other religions, to ateist, to girls & womans, about marrying girls at the age of 6 but taking them when they are 9, about molesting, stoning and beheading people as punishment, about being offended as a lifestyle, etc. etc. But since the koran is believed to be the words of Allah directly told to Mohammed, and you cant dispute god, and there are so many different lines of islam and they are constantly at war with each other, it will probably never happen.
    But who am I, we have islam experts like Obama, George Bush, David Cameron, Andrea Merckl, and other american & european politicians, who all knows that the terrorist are abusing islam. Funny that most clerical muslims doesnt say anything to support this.

btw - I think that the new pope is fantastic compared to the previous, looks like he knows his Jesus.
    Personally I'm leaning towards agnosticsim. It's difficult to prove that there isn't a god somewhere.

Hey Scott I apologize for making it look like I'm mocking you, or whatever. Wasn't my intention to disrespect. I just feel that "ignoring" and "turning the other cheek" really accomplishes nothing. The strong still exploit the weak no matter how much we protest. Like I was watching the news at the health club this morning and there was a story about the Pope in some Asian country. This little girl is hugging the pope, crying, etc. The Pope urges the world to fight poverty, hunger, etc. for the children. That's nice. That's what he's supposed to say. But will it amount to anything? The strong will always exploit the weak. It's just the rule of nature. It's sad, but (here comes the tired cliche) ....it is what it is.

Banned
    Hey Scott I apologize for making it look like I'm mocking you, or whatever. Wasn't my intention to disrespect. I just feel that "ignoring" and "turning the other cheek" really accomplishes nothing. The strong still exploit the weak no matter how much we protest. Like I was watching the news at the health club this morning and there was a story about the Pope in some Asian country. This little girl is hugging the pope, crying, etc. The Pope urges the world to fight poverty, hunger, etc. for the children. That's nice. That's what he's supposed to say. But will it amount to anything? The strong will always exploit the weak. It's just the rule of nature. It's sad, but (here comes the tired cliche) ....it is what it is.
    Thomas Jefferson helped bring the ideas of the Enlightenment, Rousseau, Voltaire, and Locke, to help create the Constitution of the U.S. Jefferson's words in the Jefferson Memorial, state that slavery should eventually be abolished, and until then should be based on despotism. The country was built on enlightened ideas, the origins of which one can credit to Jesus. Was the new country perfect, no but there was the path to go down towards fulfilling those ideals.

Our first world mentality is foreign to the third world.
    You mean, they won't greet us as liberators?

Now, I'll get my ass kicked for saying this, but I hope they hound every extremist terrorist until they're all dead. No mercy at all. Insulting them in print or political cartoons means nothing. Hunt them like the worthless dogs they are.
    No kicking here.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I want everybody to read the Quran and especially the passages which deal with how non-compliant people are to be treated. There is no religion which is more permissive of violence towards the non-compliant.
    Really?

Leviticus 24:16 says, “Anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death.”
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Jesus gave us a new Law. I don't know that Muslims have had an analogous experience yet...

^^
    Leviticus 24:16 says, “Anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death.”

Now I will sound like a theologist, but Christianity was 'founded' on stories about Jesus, who was in opposition to most stuff in the old testemony. Turn the other cheek was his message. An eye for an eye etc. is the old testemony.
    Afaik, its mostly in USA that the old testemony is used to scare its christian believers. In my country its only Jehovas witnesses and other small cults that quotes the old testamony's horror stories as christian wisdom, and Jesus is rather absent.

----------------------

Here is a video where its is clearly nailed that the atrocities the world faces from islamic terrorist, has nothing to do with islam (irony may occur)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Jesus gave us a new Law. I don't know that Muslims have had an analogous experience yet...
    Yes, but the Old Testament never had a law which stated conditions in which it was authorized by God, to kill another human. It does have stories about the laws of man.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ^^

Now I will sound like a theologist, but Christianity was 'founded' on stories about Jesus, who was in opposition to most stuff in the old testemony. Turn the other cheek was his message. An eye for an eye etc. is the old testemony.
    Afaik, its mostly in USA that the old testemony is used to scare its christian believers. In my country its only Jehovas witnesses and other small cults that quotes the old testamony's horror stories as christian wisdom, and Jesus is rather absent.

----------------------

Here is a video where its is clearly nailed that the atrocities the world faces from islamic terrorist, has nothing to do with islam (irony may occur)

The fellow in the video, Pat Condell has several spot on video monologues on islam. Quite a logical point of view ,pulls no punches. Worth a view.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It is any surprise that an Iranian would see Islam as fascism? There Islam has been used as an ideology to implement a totalitarian state. The 20th century showed us that virtually any ideology can be turned to this purpose, and the urge towards totalitarianism is something we contend with as a species. Islam has no special monopoly on this.

Like any revealed religion, there is an internal debate within Islam on how the revealed text should be interpreted and implemented. This is the nature of having a holy text. There is a tension between those who want to recreate society to fit the ancient texts, and those who interpret the text in light of current society.

I think the essence of the progressive argument is that we should look at why those who want to bring Islam back to the 12th century have any significant traction, and why do they have access to so much weaponry. These are bigger systemic issues having to do with the colonial experience, post-colonial economies, and global energy and arms markets. Polemically, it is just so much simpler to blame Islam.

BTW - The bacon-covered bullets idea is born out of a schoolboy naivete. The only thing it does is add insult to injury (quite literally). It won't prevent anyone from going to heaven. Islam doesn't work that way. That kind of move will encourage martyrdom, not dissuade it.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post

I think the essence of the progressive argument
    Nice!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Banned
    image.jpgKevin Fealey posted this on the Facebook PE page
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is any surprise that an Iranian would see Islam as fascism? There Islam has been used as an ideology to implement a totalitarian state.
    Thats basicly what they are trying to do in most muslim countries (if not all). If not those in power, then the opposition (like The Muslim Brotherhood, Taliban i Pakistan, Boko Haram in Nigeria, etc.).
    Islam is at least 50% about how a society should be built & ruled, and to a degree we in the western world are not used to, not even in the heydays of the ~isms in the last century.
    What is halal (allowed) or haram (forbidden) is of the most importancy. There are even rules for the direction the toilets should be facing.

No, islam has no special monopoly on totalitarianism, but its extremely well suited for it.

While this has been mostly respectful, this discussion is out of bounds on PE and has to be shut down. You can go offline or to the groups with it.

At the risk of being called a hypocrite and responding to this thread (and then closing it), I did read through it and a few thoughts did come to mind of which to ponder (attempting to be as neutral as possible):

1) Like can often happen, media can either take words out of context or interpret them beyond meeting. My guess is between the translation and the context (not to mention his other messages), I would take what the Pope said at face value within the other comments he's made since becoming Pope.

2) This...

Like any revealed religion, there is an internal debate within Islam on how the revealed text should be interpreted and implemented. This is the nature of having a holy text. There is a tension between those who want to recreate society to fit the ancient texts, and those who interpret the text in light of current society.
    3) I work for and with some fairly progressive Muslims since about 9-11, many from Afghanistan. I won't go into great detail, but I will give you their interpretation of the depiction of the Prophet. It stems from the idea that the physical manifestation creates a desire to worship the icon and not the message, but like most progressives, they are attempting to understand the intent behind it, not treating it as an absolute and killing (or threatening to kill) those who draw a picture.

4) Poverty and lack of education make a population easy to control and manipulate. Many of the populations around the world (or even in this country) would likely carry a different perspective if properly educated, exposed to other cultures, and free to explore beyond what can be demanding social, economic, and state conditions.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.