Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Joe Cocker

RIP Joe Cocker

Sadly I'm the bearer of bad news on here again...Joe Cocker has died of lung cancer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30582761

Unusual singer, still have Mad Dogs & Englishmen on vinyl, RIP Joe.

Suspended
    I was not even aware he was ill.

I didn't like him much when he first started out, but over the years I came to respect him as an artist of integrity. Sure, it was other people's songs that he sang, but he often brought a new dimension to the song.

Just read about this.

While I'm not a particular fan of his countless cover renditions and certainly not of his adult contemporary stuff from approx. 1983 onwards, his '82 album Sheffield Steel is actually as solid a white soul- and blues-record made by a Brit post-70s if there ever was one. Been years since I listened to him, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Loved to hear him sing. I'm really sorry he's gone.

Suspended
    The pairing of Joe Cocker with Jimmy Webb's songwriting seemed an unlikely combination, but I thought it was actually quite effective. There is a version of the two duetting on this song, that I couldn't find on youTube, but here's Joe doing it by himself:

Never was a big fan of any of his albums, BUT, an incredible live performer with a courageous penchant for taking chances improvising when onstage & not in a studio. First saw him at Woodstock '69 and again later in NYC twice. RIP Joe.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Ouch. I just picked up his sophomore album last week, after many years of not hearing it, and marveled at its brilliance.

Like others I found his later "Rod Stewart period" ("sober period"?) hard to take, but his early albums were brilliant.

RIP, I did not know he was ill.
    Never a big fan but I almost always picture this scene when I hear his name.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Just saw this on the news. Very sad. I'm not a fan of all the songs he did (particularly post 70s), but man what an amazing voice.

Bill

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I had no idea he was ill. I recently picked up his 2007 album "Hymn For My Soul." Not bad at all. Very sad news. Cocker was a one-of-a-kind singer and entertainer who will be sorely missed. He went far beyond being a voice. He was a presence. Rest in peace, Joe.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Wow. Sad news. Feelin' mortal.

Thanks Joe, for the songs of my youth
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

One in a million pipes.

Sad day.

My brother just texted me with the message RIP Joe Cocker so I just found out about ten minutes ago. A truly unique talent. RIP Joe.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

His first few albums are great and Mad Dogs and Englishmen was a movie I saw at the midnight theaters often in high school (Bobby Keys says "Hot damn!"). Chris Stainton (compare Hitchcock Railway to a track on Quadrophenia) and the Grease Band were able support with guests like Jimmy Page and Stevie Winwood and, of course, Leon Russell.

The Belushi bit was brutal and with Joe right there!

Sheffield Steel is a keeper too. I hope that being sober gave him a happy final chapter.

I always liked his performance here with the Crusaders.

Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Just read about this.

While I'm not a particular fan of his countless cover renditions and certainly not of his adult contemporary stuff from approx. 1983 onwards, his '82 album Sheffield Steel is actually as solid a white soul- and blues-record made by a Brit post-70s if there ever was one. Been years since I listened to him, though.
    Funny you should mention Sheffield Steel. It's actually my favourite album - I do like his first batch up to MD&E, but this one, especially the first two tracks ("Look What You've Done" and "Shocked") are killer. The rhythm team of Sly & Robbie nails everything on this record. Thanks for mentioning it. I think I'll go from Ralph Towner Solstice to this.

Life is strange.

RIP Joe.

Wow, this really sucks! I didn't know he was ill. RIP, Joe.

One of the finest white blues singers ever to grace this planet. What a loss.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Sucks, I was never much of a fan, but the man was a legend of his generation.

Sorry to hear this. Always thought his Woodstock performance was high energy. He seemed to put so much into his live shows it's a wonder he didn't collapse on stage. RIP joe, you were one of a kind.

Sorry to hear this. I caught him a couple of times in '69 (Atlantic City Pop and Woodstock) and again on the "Mad Dogs" tour, and loved those first few LPs. A great interpreter and distinctive stylist. RIP.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Loved his early days as well. Sad today. Lots of Joe on Dime currently as an aside.

Never had any of his albums, but I'll readily admit, the guy could sing!

R.I.P. Joe

I think Joe Cocker (along with help from people like Leon Russell) was probably the finest interpreter of other people's music.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

And another one goes-RIP, Joe!