Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just curious.. Are there any prog out there coming from Greenland?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Interesting question why no indo/prog hybrids. Could have been great.
    http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=35
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I like that Prasanna

Thanks! I am quite familiar with Shakti and Codona--I view those as proto-world-jazz type things, and enjoy them a lot. In my original comment about a dearth of indo-prog I was really thinking more in terms of sympho prog with an indian bent. Maybe some of the other artists listed in your link are more along those lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    I try to collect prog from all over the world, and Iceland was the last country I managed to get something from. Greenland has a few metal acts, or so I've learned..but prog or anything close?
    I have albums by SUME, GLATADU SPAELIMENNINIR, INNERUULAT and JUAAKA. Interesting listens. JUAAKA is the most prog oriented of them all.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I have albums by SUME, GLATADU SPAELIMENNINIR, INNERUULAT and JUAAKA. Interesting listens. JUAAKA is the most prog oriented of them all.

Sometimes we just have to pull out the heavy professors to get things right around here. Seriously.

BTW, can I get that Juaaka thang on cassette from my local gas station?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak
    GLATADU SPAELIMENNINIR
    THIS is the band originally from Faroe Isles IIRC. And a very nice album they did, slightly proggy, richly arranged folk with a charmingly Nordic attitude.

You got me curious with Juakka, though - never heard of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    THIS is the band originally from Faroe Isles IIRC. And a very nice album they did, slightly proggy, richly arranged folk with a charmingly Nordic attitude.
    Well, didn't knew they were Faroans. I always considered them being from Greenland. Thanks very much for the correction Lev.

Don't imagine anything spectacular. JUAAKA were the brainchild of guitarist and poet Juaaka Lyberth, who assembled a bunch of collaborators and issued two albums on a label named Ulo. "Kalaaleqatikka" in 1978 and "Oqaluttuat Fortællinger" in 1982 (the second in collaboration with AASIVIK BAND). Mostly rock based efforts with very strong melodies, some funk/soul moods, scandinavian folk influences and bits of Floydian guitar leaks. There is an ordinary rock easy-listening base where all this patchwork is harmonically thrown over in a non-offensive manner, which makes the listening pleasurable.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

THIS is the band originally from Faroe Isles IIRC.
    I just did some checking and think you're right here. My buddy had the Sume, but there was always talk of that Glatadu thing. I believe it was mentioned in one or several of the "usual" collector's fanzines back in the very early 90s.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Well, didn't knew they were Faroans. I always considered them being from Greenland. Thanks very much for the correction.

Don't imagine anything spectacular. JUAAKA were the brainchild of guitarist and poet Juaaka Lyberth, who assembled a bunch of collaborators and issued two albums on a label named Ulo. "Kalaaleqatikka" in 1978 and "Oqaluttuat Fortællinger" in 1982 (the second in collaboration with AASIVIK BAND). Mostly rock based efforts with very strong melodies, some funk/soul moods, scandinavian folk influences and bits of Floydian guitar leaks. There is an ordinary rock easy-listening base where all this patchwork is harmonically thrown over in a non-offensive manner, which makes the listening pleasurable.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS