Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National Health - Of Queues and Cures

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Just listened to this on my plane ride to Portland a couple weeks ago. Great one! Although I do think the debut is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Prefer the first by half an inch.
    +1. I miss Amanda Parsons. As good as John is here,Amanda was in another realm.

I got the Complete, so was introduced to them all at once, never differentiated between the albums.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

What's the word on D.S.al Coda? Isn't this the posthumous recording of Alan Gowen's music? Have always been curious about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    What's the word on D.S.al Coda? Isn't this the posthumous recording of Alan Gowen's music? Have always been curious about it!
    I like it. It's not up the the standards of the first two, but it's an enjoyable listen. It's a bit of a mixed bag, with some songs using rather dated sounding digital drums. But some songs sound awesome, like Toad of Toad. The compositions overall are quite good, but sometimes you have to get by some so-so production choices to fully appreciate them. I'm happy I got this as part of Complete.

Bill

I like it a lot.
    Its not as good or quirky as the two first albums, but there are highlights like the last track Toad Of Toad Hall has a fantastic Stewart solo

There are actually (surprise) tracks on the tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et7ghC_CptA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yhyc8HvUiA

I love both NH albums (plus Missing Pieces, and I enjoy Playtime a lot more now than I did on first release), but what makes Queues their finest moment is IMO the raw "directness" of the music and the sense of immediacy with which it is performed. Quite remarkable really, as some of this undoubtedly was a bitch to learn and rehearse to get right at all. The part in "Binoculars" where Jimmy Hastings delivers a killer flute solo (as it turned out SANS backing track!) remains one of my fave passages in any work of "prog" - not least owing to the conjunction between Pyle and Greaves. They were great together.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    All time top 20 album for me, adored it from the beginning. Even better than Hatfield (sacrilege)
    Seconded!

Ugh. I can't listen to it.

What's the word on D.S.al Coda? !
    Love it.I agree with the above stated opinions that it's not quite up to the quality of the first couple of NH records but,having said that,i play it about as often as the other NH cds.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I love the previous album but this one probably pips it, not least because of the involvement of John Greaves but also the staggeringly beautiful Binoculars, which is one of my favourite songs by anyone.

A Sqaurer for Maud kills me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I love the previous album but this one probably pips it
    I see what you did there. And I totally agree about the devastatingly brilliant "Binoculars."

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    I told you before and I'll tell you again : you write prettey good reviews
    I've said it before and I'll say it agin: thanks, man!

I do like the first album better but....

1. glass breaking and cowbell solo in Collapso
    2. that period of time decades ago when I was playing along with the entire Squarer for Maud on bass guitar and daily driving my college housemates nuts
    3. flute solo in Binoculars

Very very important moments to me

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    cowbell solo in Collapso
    Are there cowbell as well? I thought they were steel drums?!
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 12-23-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I love both NH albums (plus Missing Pieces, and I enjoy Playtime a lot more now than I did on first release), but what makes Queues their finest moment is IMO the raw "directness" of the music and the sense of immediacy with which it is performed. Quite remarkable really, as some of this undoubtedly was a bitch to learn and rehearse to get right at all. The part in "Binoculars" where Jimmy Hastings delivers a killer flute solo (as it turned out SANS backing track!) remains one of my fave passages in any work of "prog" - not least owing to the conjunction between Pyle and Greaves. They were great together.
    Playtime: I was listening to this during my lunch break about a week ago and I could swear there are huge sections where Phil's guitar is very faint,almost a bleed over through John's microphone. Did any of you also hear this?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Are the cowbell as well? I thought they were steel drums?!
    I'm talmbout 3:39-3:43. My favorite 4 seconds of the song.

- Matt

Not sure if linking to boots is allowed, but Google will lead you to the full show as a "1976-02-26.rar" file.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 12-22-2014 at 10:35 PM.

It's also more or less a tribute to Gowen. Although the music is quite different from the first two I like it.
    When I bought the LP when it was released it was also the first time I read Allan Holdsworth had been in the band Sunship with Gowen, Jamie Muir, Lyn Dobson and Laurie Baker thanks to the liner notes. This was of course long before the internet-age.

I finally got a copy of D.S al Coda. It's great! Sounds like a drum machine on one of the tunes, but not all of 'em. I wonder why there's not a human drummer on all of the record?

Pip Pyle used Simmons Sr D.S.S. Electric drums, which might sound coming from a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It's good to finally hear Paracelsus in it's entirety! There's less than two minutes of it on "National Health - Complete."

D.S. al Coda: I absolutely love this beautiful little tune from it. I learned later on that Gowen did a (faster) version in his previous band, Gilgamesh, but I prefer NH's version, maybe just because I'm used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I'm talmbout 3:39-3:43. My favorite 4 seconds of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    When I bought the LP when it was released it was also the first time I read Allan Holdsworth had been in the band Sunship with Gowen, Jamie Muir, Lyn Dobson and Laurie Baker thanks to the liner notes.
    Holdsworth was only very briefly in Sunship (1 gig, just before Muir left for KC), and Lyn Dobson was never in it - Dobson played with Gowen and Muir in a separate, but contemporary rehearsal group with another bass player.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php
    Excerpts from interviews : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...z9EvJjeuxQJ4x5

Of Queues and Cures is my fave NH album. The next in the queue is Missing Pieces, after that one the same titled.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Pip Pyle used Simmons Sr D.S.S. Electric drums, which might sound coming from a machine.
    Same crappy-sounding drums as on the 2nd Soft Heap album.