Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your very first progressive rock concert?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

What was your very first progressive rock concert?

Mine was Genesis, Trick of the Tail, at the Ottawa Civic Centre, March, 1976. There is a lot I remember about the show and some that I clearly forgot. Let's just say there was a lot of smoke in the air.

Yes at Roosevelt Stadium in 75...and when Yes appeared on the stage....

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Yes at Roosevelt Stadium in 75...and when Yes appeared on the stage....

BG
    I saw you at that show with Peter Griffin.

King Crimson. 1996 at the HORDE Festival in Nashville. KC opened on the main stage, I believe. We left after KC finished their set. Fripp stopped playing during "Thela Hun Ginjeet." Somebody took his picture.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Jethro Tull-The Spectrum-Philadelphia-winter 1971/72.Can't recall exactly when.I just remember it being freezing cold, and lousy seats and lousy sound.Not an auspicious first rock concert experiance,for me.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Yes Solo Albums tour at... I think- The Civic Arena in Pittsburgh. I was 12 and it warped my fragile (no pun intended) little mind Next was Jethro Tull on the Heavy Horses tour in Denver.

Also Tull, in 1970 opening for The Who at Tanglewood, Massachusetts. It's A Beautiful Day opened for Tull. $3 on the lawn.

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    I'm thinking Yes - "Drama" & Genesis - "Duke"...before that the earliest shows I went to were Black Sab and mainly hard rock / southern rock bands.

meimjustalawnmower
    Jethro Tull, New Orleans, 1973

Greenslade at Friars Aylesbury on Saturday 13th September 1975. The support was John Otway & Kris Needs and Warren Harry & the Yum Yum Band.

http://www.aylesburyfriars.co.uk/greenslade75.html
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    King Crimson. 1996 at the HORDE Festival in Nashville. KC opened on the main stage, I believe. We left after KC finished their set. Fripp stopped playing during "Thela Hun Ginjeet." Somebody took his picture.
    Interesting...

I saw Fripp with the League of Gentlemen in 1980 at an infamous club (was a Hell Angels hangout at some point) in Quebec. Fripp stopped playing when someone flashed and threatened to walk off the stage. He did ask people to dance on the main floor that had springs underneath and bouced when you danced.

My first Prog show was Genesis 'Selling England' tour . Century Theater, Buffalo. Great place ! WOW! A friend had some great seats...but he had to go to a wedding. Gave me the ticket.

October 1977
    KANSAS at the Hollywood(Fla) Sportatorium in support of the newly released Point Of Know Return album.

4 band festival at the Los Angeles Colosseum.

Starcastle opened, followed by Rory Gallagher, then Robin Trower. The headliner was Jethro Tull.

It was their Too Old... tour. They played a very long set. They were at the top of their game with their best lineup.

The only problem was, that about 3/4 the way through their set, a huge food fight started that went on for the rest of the show. Truly sucked.

Strawbs at Roxy Theater in Northampton, PA

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Anaheim Convention Center, 10 Feb 1974.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Yes Relayer tour, then Genesis ATTWT tour, then ELP Works tour, then Gentle Giant Missing Piece Tour. Finally Pink Floyd MLOR tour. Somewhere in the middle of all that Kansas came through our area during the PONR tour. Mostly R&R shows for me during the 70's - 80's.

my fist real conert experience (you know - big auditorium, cool light show, pot smoke everywhere, not relying on mom or dad for transportation) was Kansas in november '77 with Starcastle opening.
    next concert was Rush in feb '78 w/ April Wine
    after that was Yes "in the round" spring of '78 while Going For The One was still fresh.
    then it was Tull w/Uriah Heep shortly after that.

i guess i was kind of into prog from the beginning.

Jethro Tull on the Benefit tour. Or, if JT doesn't qualify, it would be Yes second bill to Black Sabbath.

Cue MoGrooves to make us envious...

1966 Avalon Ballrom in SF. Frank & MOI, Velvets W/Nico & the Dead. Not calling VU & the Dead progressive, but Nico was.......something. Just don't know if progressive is the right word, but maybe.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

My first prog concert was also my first concert of any type.

ELP at the Spectrum in Philadelphia - April 15, 1972. (The pre-Trilogy tour.)

I got into ELP about a month after the PAAE show, so I missed them with Yes as the opener.

Facedancer, Halloween 1976 at Gaston Hall, Georgetown U.
    They were playing their own concept piece in honor of the Bicentennial.
    Then they played Watcher of the Skies as an encore.

If that was not prog enough, then it was Renaissance with Happy the Man at the Warner Theater later that year maybe early 1977.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

My first prog concert was also my first concert. It was a strange one. At the Baltimore Civic Center around 72, I saw Gentle Giant open for The Edgar Winter Group,followed by Humble Pie. I told you it was a strange one!!!

1977 (I was 16). 1st concert ever was ELP at Richfield Coliseum (out in the boonies outside of Cleveland) that July and shortly thereafter Yes at the same place that August for the GFTO tour. WMMS World Series of Rock at Cleveland Municipal Stadium sandwiched in between those two shows w/Bob Seger, Frampton, J Geils, Rick Derringer. Got stranded w/o a ride and couldn't use my ticket for Floyd's Animals show at CMS
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

YES - Relayer tour at Nassau Coliseum, NY
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...