Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your very first progressive rock concert?

Although I'd seen Zappa before that, the first "proggy-prog" show I remember was Genesis, somewhere in NYC - someone here would probably know the date. It was the "Selling England" tour, and not only was it a "black show", but it was one of the rare ones where Gabriel went up on the hoist at the end of "Supper's Ready".

June 13, 1979 - Yes at Madison Square Garden

Of all the shows I've seen (by any artist), I've yet to see a show to surpass the impact of that one. It was a symptom of a golden age.

My second concert was Lighthouse in 1970. If they don't count as proggy, then Yes with Tranquility opening in Oct 1972.

If Tangerine Dream counts as prog, then Beacon Theater in NYC in October '92.

If not, then Pink Floyd Division Bell tour, summer '94, RFK Stadium in DC.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Soft Machine, 1968 was probably my first bona fide "Prog" concert; they opened for Hendrix.
    I sat in the peanut gallery of a local TV "teen dance" show that had the Mothers on, 1966....

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Jethro Tull on the Benefit tour.
    1970. I caught them twice on that tour. Good times....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Marillion at The Apollo Theatre, Manchester, 14th February 1984, supported (?I think) by Rage, a mis-matched but ( I recall) John Arnison-managed Liverpool metal band whose drummer was the 'Mylo' eulogized on 'Misplaced Childhood'. The lead singer coming out and saying 'Hello Leeds' or something similar didn't help them but - unlike the equally unpopular but musically somewhat different Cardiacs who supported two years later - no one actually tried to set them on fire.

...then IQ at the Gallery in April, '84.
    Last edited by Pangolin; 12-15-2012 at 01:03 AM.

Rush - A Farewell to Kings - Baltimore Civic Center. There wasn't more than 1000 people there. I don't go to Rush shows anymore because of the crowds.

Camel: New George’s (San Rafael) during the Dust & Dreams tour in 1992. A small venue (the stage was very cramped, what with Mickey Simmonds’ rather large keyboard rig and Andy and Colin’s many guitars, several on stands for easy access) but a well-attended show. They did most of what I wanted to hear from them, one or two each from their classic albums and D&D in its entirety. They played most of the songs I came to hear, though the fact that “Spirit on the Water” was the only song they played off of Moonmadness was a big letdown (made additionally by Colin’s singing, which was way, way off that night. I had the mistaken impression that he was Camel’s worst vocalist for many years based on his performance that night). Anyway, I’d have preferred to hear “Lunar Sea.” Nonetheless, a good show, “Lady Fantasy” appeared as an encore and they totally knocked it out of the park!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Remembering”-Druid/Toward the Sun

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe at the Shoreline Theater in Mountain View, California, in 1989. And yes, it's the same one that was caught on video. I was living in Vegas at the time, and took a Greyhound bus up there to see the show. Meanwhile, I asked my father to record it on Pay Per View so I could see it later. I ended up arriving late, in the middle of "Birthright," but it was still quite a good show and I enjoyed myself. I remember being stunned at "Close to the Edge" being played live...it was quite magical, especially when the dry ice came out during "I Get Up, I Get Down."

I came home and discovered my father tried to record the show, but couldn't figure out how to record PPV. I was pretty upset at the time.

Wow, I have been to so many great prog shows over the years, and started going to rock concerts in general at an early age. But if my memory serves me well, the first prog show was probably Emerson, Lake & Palmer at the Long Beach Arena, California in 1972 to support the "Trilogy" album. I'll never forget how great they were, especially the mind-blowing Keith Emerson.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I suppose that includes frfay night high-school concerts.... In that case, it must be Rush in 75 or 76

If THAT doesn't count, it's still Rush at Massey Hall .... one of the concerts that became All the World's A Stage

Yup, I'm the nutcase in the lower right-hand corner of your left speaker (I'll have to resituate that the day Wilson does a 5.1 of that album, though!! )
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Probably Jethro Tull - pretty sure they played Moscow ahead of Procol Harum and Yes. I was around 14 or so and went with my dad.

Deep Purple. They were considered Progressive Rock back then.
    If you are referring to artists that are NOW being called Progressive Rock, that would be Yes, the TFTO show at GA Tech Colosseum.

1977 IIRC , Pink Floyd Animals tour at MSG in NYC. Phenominal! First concert ever, set a very high bar.

mogrooves, same for me: Hendrix with Soft Machine. Though I had seen the Who play a year earlier. ELP not long after, along with Lighthouse and also Paupers.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Probably Hawkwind - Choose Your Masques tour in '82 at Newcastle City Hall.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I had seen the Who play a year earlier
    So did I, '67, on a bill with The Hollies. (Later that same night I caught Hendrix, fresh off the Monkees tour).

ELP not long after, along with Lighthouse.
    I caught ELP in '71 (Curved Air opened) and Lighthouse in '70 on a bill with Cold Blood. Horn night!!

Dana, we must be joined at the psychic hip!
    Last edited by mogrooves; 12-15-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think whatever you viewed as progressive rock for your first show makes sense. I consider my second show progressive but many wouldn't - Rush 2112 - about 2,000 in 1976.

Mine was Jethro Tull in Long Beach CA 1977...Songs from the Wood tour. Funny thing I remember..at intermission the person I took went to the lobby, came back to her seat, then told me she was thirsty and asked if I could get her a Coke. I went to stand in line, only to hear the first strains of Velvet Green start the second part of the show. I came back to my seat empty handed and told her the line was too long and I would get it later. Needless to say I don't believe she ever went out with me again!

Yes - Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY 11/20/1972

My first real and prog concert was Rush "A Farewell to Kings" in Novemebr of '77. Still have the whole ticket. AC/DC was supposed to be the opening band and, much to my absolute joy, they had to cancel because Bonn got sick.

My first concert?

The Cowsills at Atlantic City with my family. Had to be around '67.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    ...Or, if JT doesn't qualify...
    Just the thought is nearly sacrilegious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    My second concert was Lighthouse in 1970.
    So, how was Lighthouse? I always thought "One Fine Morning" was a pretty kick-ass tune. I know it wasn't very representative of their output, though.

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    I always remember my first prog show with much fondness, it was this little trio from Kernada... Rush at the Montreal Forum in 1981! From that point, i've seen ELP, Genesis, Yes, Gilmour, Saga and many other mainstream prog acts.

But my first "contemporary" prog act that I saw live (not part of the big mainstream names) was The Flower Kings in 2002. That was my 2nd/3rd prog wave baptism in a live setting. My introduction to these contemporary bands goes back to 1999 through the magic of the interweb, before that I knew nothing of all that underground music.

Robert

Actually, I'm trying to remember what my first NON prog concert was, and I have no idea. Especially if we're counting fusion (like Jon Luc Ponty). It was probably Heart + The Nuge in '79. And that was an outdoor festival and Bruford played!!!

1st non prog concert I went to with a date....Cat Stevens 1976.
    1st non-prog concert I went to as a kid with my parents...Harry Belafonte at the Greek Theater in LA probably around 1968-69. (Remember...I was with my parents )

ELOY at the "Silent Cries..." tour.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS