Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New MoeTar video (and other semi-related news)!

New MoeTar video (and other semi-related news)!

Hey gang! MoeTar has another music video!!! This time for the title track to the latest CD "Entropy of the Century" - pretty much entirely made up of footage from the recording sessions last year. Link below.

Meanwhile we are back to playing semi-regular shows around the area, plotting journeys outside the area, and pouring foundations for the third record.

As for my other bands...

miRthkon just played our first show in a while a few days ago (with other Oakland weird-music-bands Jack O' The Clock and Surplus 1980). This set included Wally's arrangement of Zappa's "Be Bop Tango." Syncopated septuplets? No problem!

Secret Chiefs 3 had a very busy 2014, and the map of 2015 is still being drawn up...

On top of all that I hope to wrap up work on the next Bodies Floating Ashore record. It's going to be far more epic/prog/dark/avant. You can get links to all your favorite streaming/downloading services for the first album here: http://bodiesfloatingashore.com

And oh yeah the Fuxedos will once again be playing Karla LaVey's Black Xmass show at the Elbo Room in SF on December 25th with a zillion other bands. It's going to be nutz!

OKAY and now, the video:

Thanks for listening/watching/caring,

- Matt

i actually never really looked into this...band yet...i thought it was one avant/RIO guy...probably confusing them with Moe Staino.

I listened, I watched, I care .
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I dig!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    New album is great.

Matt - On the SC3 front I heard that Michel was asking if you were interested in RIO this year. Would be great if it could happen.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Love it!!! More, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I dig!
    Ditters. Verbatim. Awesome stuff, need to investigate further. Totally dig those "musical tangents".
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Wonderful. I'm in a big delay with my purchases, so I really can't tell when I'll put my hands on this one. But at least for now I've purchased 'mirthkon - snakes' which arrived yesterday. I spun it today and it was a big pleasure.

MoeTar, fantastic, Bay Area band. Seen them a few times. Surely see them whenever I can. Nice folks too.
    Everyone should own their albums.

Hoping to make your January 17 show if I can get my finances in order. I might take Amtrak to the City for a change of pace. Cheaper than a rental car!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Nice folks too.
    Everyone should own their albums.
    Agree 100%. Must get to SoCal soon! Love the new album and seeing the folks playing is just a tease! Need MORE! Please......

This is awesome! Love the vocals, melodies, and arrangements.

Liked that enough to check out the other videos. Will be buying the albums after Christmas!

I want everything. I have fallen head over heels in love with Moetar and esp. Moorea. She is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    miRthkon just played our first show in a while a few days ago (with other Oakland weird-music-bands Jack O' The Clock and Surplus 1980). This set included Wally's arrangement of Zappa's "Be Bop Tango." Syncopated septuplets? No problem!
    - Matt
    Damn. Wish I'd known about that. Not sure I would have made it - I've done an awful lot of driving in the last month and that would be more - but it would have been nice to have had the choice. But I got the chance to see JotC at Progday, and they were amazing.

And as for "Be Bop Tango", Frank claimed that only one person - the near-legendary session-man and classical trumpeter Malcolm McNab - was ever able to play the melody correctly with any kind of consistency. Since Bruce Fowler also played it, that says something about its extreme difficulty. With Zappa Plays Zappa, Scheila Gonzales plays it on soprano sax, and looks to be having rather rough sledding.

Saw Points North, MoeTar and Nili Brosh last night at Brick and Mortar in San Francisco for $15. Brosh is a great guitarist, but the songs are not that
    compelling, for me. The bassist had a lovely Fodera, though. MoeTar are absolutely the best! They only got 45 minutes, but were wonderful, once again. Matthew's guitar amp blew up part way through, and he used Eric's Egnater (Eric from PN). I am amazed at what they do every time I see them. Maybe 30 people or so in the audience. So lucky to live in the Bay Area.

Any moetar fans here like the band 'a formal horse'? I hear quite a few similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Any moetar fans here like the band 'a formal horse'? I hear quite a few similarities.
    I can hear a bit in the vocal delivery occasionally, but not so much musically.

Moorea Dickson accepted me as her new facebook friend just yesterday which I thought was pretty cool.

I listened to Entropy of the Century (the album) and this is indeed a great band with great material! I do have a small nitpick, but it has more to do with my personal preferences than anything wrong with what they do: As excellent as the female vocalist is (and she's definitely excellent), I found myself wishing there were more and longer instrumental sections. Sometimes what's going on behind the vocals is so complex and interesting that I wish I could hear the track sans vocals. But that's to be taken with a grain of salt, since it's coming from someone who generally listens to more instrumental than vocal music. All that aside, it's still pretty terrific stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I found myself wishing there were more and longer instrumental sections. Sometimes what's going on behind the vocals is so complex and interesting that I wish I could hear the track sans vocals.
    I'll point out a secret - I actually wrote another song for this album, and we tracked it, but due to time constraints and my impossible perfectionism we ditched it. But it was a 6 minute epic with some pretty far out instrumental passages... Maybe I'll rework it for the next album.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Yes indeed - love them both. Both use complex instrumentals with jazz tinged female vocals but you wouldn't mistake them for each other - Formal Horses
    vocals are distinctly English.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I'll point out a secret - I actually wrote another song for this album, and we tracked it, but due to time constraints and my impossible perfectionism we ditched it. But it was a 6 minute epic with some pretty far out instrumental passages... Maybe I'll rework it for the next album.
    Aw, now you're teasing me, Matt! I hope you guys do put it on the next album; I'll definitely be listening!

Just out of the blue I decided to see if by chance Moetar was on Pandora and sure enough they are. Needless to say I now have Moetar Radio.

Bump ...

I love this song