Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Magma in North America....

I'll be at the show tomorrow night. Hope they do Merci in its entirety, it's my favorite album.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Hope they do Merci in its entirety, it's my favorite album.
    I assume you jest but have you seen the Epok V DVD? Between songs, there are interviews with various members of the audience and one of the questions asked is "Which is your favourite Magma album". At least one person - possibly two - chooses Merci and they appear to be completely serious.

I'm also going, but also staying in Old Quebec City, so I'll be walking to that show Friday as well. Driving to Victoriaville on Saturday for more Magma! Sorry, I'm even less help.

No problem - looks like I'll take a taxi. I may be wearing a Hard Rock Cafe shirt tonight. I may even be wearing it ironically.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post
    Driving to Victoriaville on Saturday for more Magma!
    Just to make sure, you know it's sunday right?

Fantastic show last night. I'd have to put it in my top five shows of all time.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Fantastic show last night. I'd have to put it in my top five shows of all time.
    Yep, me too and I guess I'll put the sunday one too. There will be 3 Magma concerts in my top 5

Seeing how this *might* be the final time they'll be physically (and economically) up for such a venture as this, I wish the whole tour had been documented on film or something. Magma are the last 70s progressive act doing anything even remotely progressive (as in equally vital to their prime) and making anew these days, and their existence and activity occurs in SPITE - not "because".

'Unholy din' forever.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It looks like they are doing a documentary actually (or at least capturing footage to be part of interviews in a future concert DVD).

Not surprising the same setlist at FIMAV as QC, however it included the break, unscheduled as Vander destroyed his kick drum requiring a surgical team of experts. It also appears all the merch was sold at QC. Only a few t-shirts left in sizes that most festival attendees have not seen, well maybe ever.

Quebec City and Victoriaville were two of the greatest shows that I have seen in my life. They are such a machine, it is unreal. Beauty, darkness, technical skill oozing from every pore. This would be a very good time to release another live album, or a DVD, I'd say.

neil

I understood there were "problems" of some kind, but I thought the venue was insisting on the intermission to sell drinks...
    <sig out of order>

Well, I was at both, and Vander definitely did something to that drum that acquired some work! I believe that the 'intermission' in Quebec City was caused by Phillipe Bussonet breaking a string on his bass. It happened practically right in front of me. Rather than sit around for a few minutes, they probably decided to take a short break. The way that he wails away on that thing, I'm not surprised.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well, I was at both, and Vander definitely did something to that drum that acquired some work! I believe that the 'intermission' in Quebec City was caused by Phillipe Bussonet breaking a string on his bass. It happened practically right in front of me. Rather than sit around for a few minutes, they probably decided to take a short break. The way that he wails away on that thing, I'm not surprised.

neil
    I didn't even notice the string break. The guy next to me spoke French and was explaining that the intermission was due to the location of the theater - he seemed to think that they don't get as much business as they would like there. He also said that he'd lived in the old part of the city as a kid, so I assumed he knew what he was talking about. So that's how I got my impression of the situation.

But, yeah - that guy tore up the bass! Amazing! And such a great sound.
    <sig out of order>

That's probably it, then. You can't beat local knowledge! What a show.

neil

I have no idea what really happened, since I barely understand a word of French!
    <sig out of order>

What Stella said was that very often in some clubs in France (she named the Triton by name), it was customary to have a break to let people breathe. She said it might be a good idea to do that here (in Quebec city) too. Was there any other reasons??? I wouldn't know. But it was indeed a good idea to go out for a while. The seats on the balcony offered very limited movements.

Dunno if anybody posted this before - MAGMA - Newport Jazz Festival - July 7, 1973 (With the Brecker Brothers)

NEW YORK, NY (Philharmonic Hall), USA
    7 july 1973

01. Tuning Up (0:15)
    02. Köhntarkösz (excerpt) (5:22)
    03. Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh (34:42)

Christian Vander (dr, voc)
    Klaus Blasquiz (voc, perc)
    René "Stündehr" Garber (cl, voc)
    Jannick Top (b)
    Claude Olmos (g)
    Jean-Luc Manderlier(k)
    Michel Graillier (k)
    Gérard Bikialo (k)
    Stella Vander(voc, perc)
    Teddy Lasry (sax, fl)
    Michael Brecker (sax)
    Randy Brecker (tp)
    Bill Watrous (tb)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Dunno if anybody posted this before - MAGMA - Newport Jazz Festival - July 7, 1973 (With the Brecker Brothers)

NEW YORK, NY (Philharmonic Hall), USA
    7 july 1973

01. Tuning Up (0:15)
    02. Köhntarkösz (excerpt) (5:22)
    03. Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh (34:42)

Christian Vander (dr, voc)
    Klaus Blasquiz (voc, perc)
    René "Stündehr" Garber (cl, voc)
    Jannick Top (b)
    Claude Olmos (g)
    Jean-Luc Manderlier(k)
    Michel Graillier (k)
    Gérard Bikialo (k)
    Stella Vander(voc, perc)
    Teddy Lasry (sax, fl)
    Michael Brecker (sax)
    Randy Brecker (tp)
    Bill Watrous (tb)
    Sweet! My understanding this was their only ever US performance pre-1999.

True. I wish to hell I could hear the full Kohntarkosz.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

The MDK is quite interesting too if you listen closely to Vander & Top's efforts, they are playing it quite differently.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Sweet! My understanding this was their only ever US performance pre-1999.
    I believe that that is true. I believe their first show after that was at the (French) Touch Fest, where they performed at the Leonard St Knitting Factory in the summer of 1999 - Pinhas also played there and after he played, we went upstairs and I finally saw Magma, and he introduced me to Norman Spinrad (!) who sat next to us. Yowzah.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.