Thread: A sincere plea for help...

A sincere plea for help...

Hello all,
    I apologize in advance for even asking this, but here goes...First a little background before my request...
    Last December, both my wife and I were laid off from our full time jobs. We began 2014 each just working a part time job, she as the house manager of our local community theatre, and I as the band leader at my church. This equated to about a 70 percent pay cut for us overall. However, I decided at that time to, rather than going back to a job I hated like the one I'd previously had, to give a go to making my living from music. I had managed to pay off most of my debt and set aside a bit of savings, so I figured if I didn't give it a go now, I never would. So I began pursuing a wide variety of music-related ventures, including playing out with an acoustic duo, teaching music lessons, renting out PA equipment and running sound for events, doing some recording and mixing at my small studio, and finishing up some recording projects of my own that had been in the works for some time. So in all, 2014 has seen the release of a new Farpoint album, a Christmas album of acoustic guitar duets with my friend Sam Sanders, and two instrumental solo singles.
    I've been almost treading water, breaking even some months and falling short some. Unfortunately, some recent unexpected events this year have really hurt us financially. Early in the year, AFTER we had signed up for medical insurance but BEFORE the insurance kicked in, my wife experienced a serious knee injury. We are still paying on that, and will be for another year at least. Last week, I took my truck to the shop for a whining sound, thinking it was a bad wheel bearing. Turns out it was not only 2 bad wheel bearings, but a bad rear end, requiring replacement. The total bill is over $2600. Without my vehicle, I can't make it to all of the events I have booked, and most folks who make a living at music can tell you, December can easily be the best month of the year...So my request is this...It would mean more to me than you all would ever know if you would take a look at the link below, listen to a few songs, and if you hear anything you like, make a purchase. There are 7 Farpoint albums, one Farpoint digital single, 2 solo digital singles, and the aforementioned Christmas album available there.
    I fully understand that with the tremendous overabundance of music available out there, and with the limited disposable income we all have, it's asking a lot for people to part with their hard earned money for my humble product...All I can say is that what you hear at this link is what I have poured my heart and soul into for the past 15 years, and it would mean more to me than you can ever know if you'd just be willing to give it a listen.
    Thanks so much in advance for your time. Best wishes to you all.

www.cdbaby.com/all/farpoint
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Done, Kevin.

All the best,

Jewish Guy
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

If you were on Bandcamp, I would have overpayed for my order. As it is, by the time CD Baby had me change my password & attempted an account info update when I went to check out, I was almost disgusted enough to x out. Memo to CD Baby: Customers prefer simple. Jumping through hoops is for circus performers.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I ordered a few CDs - glad to check out some more of your work!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Done, Kevin.

All the best,

Jewish Guy
    Thanks so very much!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I ordered a few CDs - glad to check out some more of your work!
    Thank you so much! It means more than you know!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you were on Bandcamp, I would have overpayed for my order. As it is, by the time CD Baby had me change my password & attempted an account info update when I went to check out, I was almost disgusted enough to x out. Memo to CD Baby: Customers prefer simple. Jumping through hoops is for circus performers.
    I'm so sorry you ran into problems...It's true, CDBaby isn't what they used to be. My apologies. I'm not on bandcamp, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely look into that as another option. Thank you!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

For anyone who may run into such problems with CDBaby, I should add that 4 of our albums, COLD STAR QUIET STAR, KINDRED, WATER OF LIFE (LIVE), and PAINT THE DARK are all available at the 10T Records store (http://10trecords.com/store) as another purchase option. Also everything except the Christmas CD is available through such avenues as iTunes and Amazon.com.

Thanks again for the responses, and for anyone else who has taken the time to look or listen. PE has always been a special community, and although I don't have the opportunity to take part in the music discussions as much as I used to, I think of many of you as friends, and admire the passion and knowledge that is present here even among those that I don't know personally. I'm proud to be a part of this community. Many thanks to you all.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Hello Kevin,

I am not in a good financial place myself otherwise I would love to make some purchases and help you out. Anyway, I am wondering if you know about some of these websites that you can use to help you out financially. I'm talking about ones like fundraiser.com but there are others such as the ones listed here: https://www.youcaring.com/blog/post/...-For-2013.aspx

There is also kickstarter but I'm not sure that is appropriate here. I think with most of these sites you need to promote it with friends or family or on your facebook page. Otherwise I think there is a small payment you need to make. I have looked into it but have not done much with any of them. Anyway, good luck to you and I will keep you and your band in mind.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Hello Kevin,

I am not in a good financial place myself otherwise I would love to make some purchases and help you out. Anyway, I am wondering if you know about some of these websites that you can use to help you out financially. I'm talking about ones like fundraiser.com but there are others such as the ones listed here: https://www.youcaring.com/blog/post/...-For-2013.aspx

There is also kickstarter but I'm not sure that is appropriate here. I think with most of these sites you need to promote it with friends or family or on your facebook page. Otherwise I think there is a small payment you need to make. I have looked into it but have not done much with any of them. Anyway, good luck to you and I will keep you and your band in mind.
    Thanks for the comment! I completely understand! I will look into some of those options...Maybe use one next time I am about to do a new release. Thanks for sharing them!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I ordered Paint The Dark from CDBaby.Looking forward to receiving it.Good luck.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I ordered Paint The Dark from CDBaby.Looking forward to receiving it.Good luck.
    Thanks SO much Walt. I hope you enjoy it...We think it's out best yet, and many of the reviews seem to agree. Your support is MUCH appreciated!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I want to take a moment to thank all of you that made a purchase. I saw a little bump in sales at CDBaby over the past couple days. It is much appreciated, not only for the financial help, but also for restoring a bit of my faith in humanity. You guys are awesome!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listened to most of Paint the Dark last night and this morning. A very good album! Is it just me, or is the drummer a big Rush fan?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Listened to most of Paint the Dark last night and this morning. A very good album! Is it just me, or is the drummer a big Rush fan?
    Thanks so much! And it's not just you...Rush was Rick's first and biggest influence as a drummer. He will be most flattered by your observation. I'll be sure to pass that on to him! More recently he's been influenced by Porcupine Tree and Enchant, but Rush will always be up there for him.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net