Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tom Petty

I have always really liked TP a lot, although more of the early stuff than the later material.

Try to always remember that it's an awesome responsibility being the bastard child of Bob Dylan & Roger McGuinn.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I always loved 'Into the great wide open' (I think it's called). Actually I prefer the cover Brings did.

The version I have, has some trumpet by Jo Kraus (Kraan), but that one isn't on youtube.

^ sounds pretty faithful to Tom's. Interesting to hear it sung in, what do you speak there, Dutch?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    ^ sounds pretty faithful to Tom's. Interesting to hear it sung in, what do you speak there, Dutch?
    This is in German, or actually the dialect of Cologne.

^ Ah, okay. I think I didn't really listen to what was sung; I took my cue from 'Netherlands' under your avatar. I won't be bugging anybody else here about Petty; I went and joined the Mudcrutch board. or as some people here say, I 'up' and joined the Mudcrutch board. I don't know why people say 'he up and died' or 'he up and left', etc.

I've always loved this song, from Wildflowers, which I think is a pretty great album, for the most part:

The last minute+ (starting at 4 min) is almost a bit proggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

• s/t (1976) - Long After Dark (1982)
    The early era was rocking and had a great energy from album to album. Petty's distinct voice is love/hate, at times. Sometimes I hear a ballad of his and think it would be better sung by someone else. Still, there are some classic tracks in those early years. Fun time rock 'n roll. The duets he did with Stevie Nicks are keepers.
    I'd say that 95% of Petty's stuff I'd want to keep comes from that era.... Among the latter stuff, I can only think of Mary Jane's Last Dance that I really like...

However, I didn't know he did more than one duet with Stevie Nicks... (that one was frigging awesome too)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My favorite albums are from Southern Accents through Hypnotic Eye. I dig the early stuff too, but my enjoyment really takes flight starting with SA.