Thread: Thoughts on Goblin, Steven Wilson, and videos

Thoughts on Goblin, Steven Wilson, and videos

After seeing Goblin in Philly last year, I decided that I liked them and bought alot of their CDs. Now I realize that pretty much all of their albums are soundtracks, but I enjoyed them without having seen any of the movies. Now I don't particularly like horror movies and so listening to the music is all I have to experience. As for Steven Wilson, I watched the videos for Drive Home and The Raven That Refused to Sing. So now when I listen to those 2 songs, I picture those 2 animated videos which I'm not sure is a good thing. So what I don't want is to see a Goblin related movie and then have to picture someone being stabbed or killed every time I hear their music. As I said, I can enjoy the music for what it is. What do you guys think? Does a video enhance or ruin the experience of the music?

Bob

I can separate the two. If I like the video, it can enhance my enjoyment of the song. If I don't like it, it won't affect it. Personally, I love horror movies and SW's dark imagery, and since the music of Goblin and SW is very visual anyways, it's a plus for me. I can understand how it might disturb some, but Dario Argento, the man behind a lot of the movies that Goblin has done music for, stylizes the violence and lights and photographs it beautifully, so I don't think of it as disturbing, but interesting, visually.

neil

Suspended
    I can appreciate the art of a well made video, but I think too much is made of the importance of videos. For every video i have seen that enhances my enjoyment of a song, there have probably been ten that I thought quite pointless, sometimes detracting from the song.

Referring to Steven Wilson in particular, the Raven video is well done, but I have seen other SW videos that I didn't like much. I know what you mean about the song being spoiled afterwards by recalling the video. I loved that song "Somewhere Only We know" by Keane, but since I saw the official video I cannot hear the song now without visualising that idiotic video.

Quote Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
    After seeing Goblin in Philly last year, I decided that I liked them and bought alot of their CDs. Now I realize that pretty much all of their albums are soundtracks, but I enjoyed them without having seen any of the movies. Now I don't particularly like horror movies and so listening to the music is all I have to experience. As for Steven Wilson, I watched the videos for Drive Home and The Raven That Refused to Sing. So now when I listen to those 2 songs, I picture those 2 animated videos which I'm not sure is a good thing. So what I don't want is to see a Goblin related movie and then have to picture someone being stabbed or killed every time I hear their music. As I said, I can enjoy the music for what it is. What do you guys think? Does a video enhance or ruin the experience of the music?
    I'm a Goblin fanboy. I love the music, and the movies, and the music and movies together. It's a win-win for me.

Btw, do you have these Goblin albums? They're not soundtracks: Roller, Il Fantastico Viaggio del Bagarozzo Mark and BacktotheGoblin2005. The last one is the Goblin guys without Simonetti, and they're cutting a new album, too. You want/need those. The one you want to stay far away from is Il Volo, from '82, which was a sellout attempt and best forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I'm a Goblin fanboy. I love the music, and the movies, and the music and movies together. It's a win-win for me.

Btw, do you have these Goblin albums? They're not soundtracks: Roller, Il Fantastico Viaggio del Bagarozzo Mark and BacktotheGoblin2005. The last one is the Goblin guys without Simonetti, and they're cutting a new album, too. You want/need those. The one you want to stay far away from is Il Volo, from '82, which was a sellout attempt and best forgotten.
    I have the 2 of the 3 that you mentioned. Back To The Goblin seems to be out of print. The Il Fantastico CD I really like. I don't know why I didn't get into them years ago. I must have heard something I didn't like and forgot about them for awhile.

Back To The Goblin seems to be out of print.
    I found it on the BackToTheFudda website. Ordered.

I found it on the BackToTheFudda website. Ordered.
    Cool! Wait till you hear "Magic Theater."

Videos almost always detract, for me. The music better be strong enough to stand on its own, otherwise I am less interested. (Keep and Thief soundtracks are exceptions.) Case in point: Exorcist. There are a few exceptions -- the Steven Wilson two videos are fabulous, and don't detract from the music at all for me. I did see The Keep before hearing Logos (which has many elements of the Keep soundtrack), so it doesn't bother me so much, and Love on a Real Train is a great movie scene only enhanced by the fab soundtrack. And even though I saw it, I'm not distracted by the visuals of Killing Fields at all -- still one of my favourite albums by him.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

I like to have Goblin on my earphones when I'm out at night prowling for prey with my giga butcher's knife. I dunno if the music enhances the action or the other way 'round.

Seriously; the Argento films are mostly of a low-caliber as far as the actual "horror level" goes, in as much as that they always strive towards patterned generics in narrative and thus aren't really "meta-artistic" statements (unlike, say, Psycho or The Exorcist or The Omen or The Shining). Argento's finest pictures are ALL about the fetish of aesthetics, so you'll watch it with a submissive distance no matter whether you appreciate the genre or not. And the music works wonder for the flickers, I think - although some modern viewers (espec fans of current trends in horror) tend to think the Goblin soundtracks rather distract from the contents and tableaus of the movies.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'd call in the camp that keeps film and soundrack in one corner, and music in another; I can listen to something without the context of a film, but I can't say I'd watch something just for the music...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"