Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Tide - Sea Shanties

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Sorry, I meant "all Black Sabbath songs from 1969 combined" (it would be strange to compare a 1969 song with something produced a few years later), but that bit somehow got lost.
    A better argument, but still can't agree.

The title track of the debut Black Sabbath album is so freaking heavy that it is still shaking the foundations of homes to this day. What makes it even heavier is the patience involved. The way they use dynamics makes the power in it remarkable. Then the shift into the galloping section complete with palm muting which gives way to the final descent of crashing G Major to G Minor 11th chords as wah wah guitars shimmer underneath drums and bass pounding your ears into oblivion. Then the false stop and reprise as the bass descends on a quick walk to end in unison with the power chord on that low G? Forget it. Nothing was "heavier" than that in 1969.

Just MO. Not in any way taking away from High Tide's heaviness. They were freaking OUT there!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post

The title track of the debut Black Sabbath album is so freaking heavy that it is still shaking the foundations of homes to this day. and reprise as the bass descends on a quick walk to end in unison with the power chord on that low G? Forget it. Nothing was "heavier" than that in 1969.
    Nah, Jeff - our fav heavy band was heavier than your fav heavy band that year.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Nah, Jeff - our fav heavy band was heavier than your fav heavy band that year.

Well, keep in mind, I only have to prove that one band wasn't heavier than all of another band's songs combined.

You'll have to prove that someone actually walked on the surface of the moon first, Jeff. And perhaps they were THERE - but did they really... You know... Walk?
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

They were - as with many back then - a quite heavily touring band as well; did anyone here ever actually see them live? I keep thinking they must have been a sight/sound to behold, although rumours have it they were pretty stoned when performing. But again, back then - who weren't?

High Tide are quite high on my scale of long begotten UK acts I'd love to have seen, if not as high as, say, Family or 1970-rendition Soft Machine.
    Yes I saw them live twice -maybe three times - the first time at a tiny club called Jimmy's in Brighton where I sat in the front row within a few feet of them. Three of them standing each in front of an identical 100 watt stack and with identical fuzz and wah-wah pedals (I'm sure both guitar and violin had both but I couldn't say the bass did for sure) plus the drummer with a brand new shiny Hayman drum kit. Very intense, very loud, but they just stood and played - they didn't talk to the audience or move very much. I already owned the first album and they played it in its entirety and it sounded just like the record. I recall watching the guitarist (as I was a budding guitarist) to see how he moved so smoothly around the strings and was surprised to see he had a jar of Vaseline on the top of his amp which he dipped his fingers in between numbers - must have made a mess of his fretboard! At the end of their set the audience shouted for more and they looked a bit embarassed and said they diodn't have any more material but if we liked they could do one of them again, and so we got 'Walking down their outlook' twice. I saw them again at the De la Salle college in Hove, by which time they were playing their second album and I think one number I didn't know. Saw Family three times that I can remember and Soft Machine once with Robert Wyatt and several times with the later lineups. But then I do live in England and was a student in London during 1973-77, so it was relatively easy to see these bands.

You'll have to prove that someone actually walked on the surface of the moon first, Jeff. And perhaps they were THERE - but did they really... You know... Walk?
    Looks more like hopping to me.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Looks more like hopping to me.
    Can you prove it?!!

The literal meaning of "proof" was less the point than overstatement.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I've had this for a while now, but it has yet to grab me. It seems like it would be right up my alley. I hope that someday I'll hear what every one else is hearing in it, honestly. (Come to think of it, I'm having the same experience with Space Shanties too.)
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I've had this for a while now, but it has yet to grab me. It seems like it would be right up my alley. I hope that someday I'll hear what every one else is hearing in it, honestly. (Come to think of it, I'm having the same experience with Space Shanty too.)
    Keep trying.

I'm a massive High Tide fan and all their albums are worth checking out especially the first two Esoteric RMs- vinyl will set you back a few bob. Tony Hill solo also worth checking out. Nothing like Khan though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Jackson View Post
    vinyl will set you back a few bob.
    The Sundazed reissue is very reasonably priced:

http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product...oducts_id=1081