Thread: Sky CD/DVD releases

Sky CD/DVD releases

The post from Esoteric led me to discover these releases. Anyone heard them? Sky and Sky 2 are out and 3 and 4 are coming next month. I'm hoping to see 5 as well since that is long out of print. The video seems quite interesting.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4866

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4868

My vinyl copy of Sky 2 is just called Sky. All of the cd versions I saw come out have the 2 on the cover. I think the first one is still the best myself.

As much as I enjoy the first two, 3 & 5 are my favourites. The original material on both is really strong.

4 is the weakest. They sound disengaged and the material is a bit dull. Big exception is the really exquisite version of 'Skylark'.

The Esoteric versions are great, although I think it was a mistake to omit the band's notes on individual traks from the booklet. Sid Smith's notes are OK but hardly a replacement for those original ones. Both could have been inckuded.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    The video seems quite interesting.
    Both have DVD content, but not the show that I remember seeing about 30 years ago. I might even have it on a Beta tape stashed away somewhere. It was shown on one of the arts cable channels in the US (A&E or Bravo) back when they didn't have a bunch of so-called "reality" crap on. I recall that they did a few non-Sky songs accompanied by a guest male singer with either an African or West Indies accent. The thing that stands out was the way he pronounced "Tristan" as "tree staaahn", and I think it was a Christmastime show.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I remember that broadcast as well. My favorite part was when they closed the show with "Carillon",
    and everyone in the band was playing tuned percussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I remember that broadcast as well. My favorite part was when they closed the show with "Carillon",
    and everyone in the band was playing tuned percussion.
    Was it the 1980 Bremen show (which may actually be 1979)? Carillon's not at the end of the disc but who knows what order was played on TV.

http://plum.cream.org/sky/bremen.htm
    Last edited by Wah3; 12-10-2014 at 07:12 PM.

The TV show I saw was from later in their career; Steve Gray had replaced Francis Monkman and the evening had a Christmas theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    The TV show I saw was from later in their career; Steve Gray had replaced Francis Monkman and the evening had a Christmas theme.
    I know I saw that one. I saw 2 different shows, and I think they may have been a year or two apart.

I believe the show was at London's Theatre Royal Drury lane from 1983, because I was there.

I vividly remember the support act...Patrick McWilliams.

Actually, he came on half way through the show...he handed out maracas and similar instruments to people in the front row and sang some calypso songs. It was kind of bizarre to be honest, seemed a very inappropriate 'support' for such a band.

It was filmed for BBC TV and shown on Christmas Eve that year. I used to have a video of it some years back...could even pick myself out in the audience. I can remember Steve Gray playing blowsynth as well.

There is this though...I remember this well as it was the encore...

The only recording I saw of Sky was a concert at Westminster Abbey benefitting Amnesty International. Steve Gray was the keyboardist...

The Westminster Abbey show is on the Sky 3 package.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Waiting on them arriving at Wayside to order.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I believe the show was at London's Theatre Royal Drury lane from 1983, because I was there.

I vividly remember the support act...Patrick McWilliams.

Actually, he came on half way through the show...he handed out maracas and similar instruments to people in the front row and sang some calypso songs. It was kind of bizarre to be honest, seemed a very inappropriate 'support' for such a band.
    Google says it was Patrick Rös.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/2263472-Patrick-R%C3%B6s

That looks like the guy that I remember. Sorry for sidetracking the thread.

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Maybe this is the connection that explains why they had this Rös guy on the bill with Sky:

http://www.discogs.com/label/248049-Magic-Records-12

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    My vinyl copy of Sky 2 is just called Sky. All of the cd versions I saw come out have the 2 on the cover. I think the first one is still the best myself.
    So is mine. I never knew it was actually the second album.

I wonder if the Hammersmith Odeon concert is the one that John Williams talked about when he was interviewed in Guitar Player around that time, which he seemed to be unhappy with. I think I actually might have seen that concert on TV myself, probably a few years later, though, more like 82 or 83.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Both have DVD content, but not the show that I remember seeing about 30 years ago. I might even have it on a Beta tape stashed away somewhere. It was shown on one of the arts cable channels in the US (A&E or Bravo) back when they didn't have a bunch of so-called "reality" crap on. I recall that they did a few non-Sky songs accompanied by a guest male singer with either an African or West Indies accent. The thing that stands out was the way he pronounced "Tristan" as "tree staaahn", and I think it was a Christmastime show.
    That could be the one that I remember seeing. We had A&E on our cable service back in the early 80's, when it still only broadcast during the evening (you had Nickelodeon from something like 6:00am to 8:00pm Eastern, then when Nickelodeon signed off, A&E took over for something like 4 or 5 hours), so that might have been the channel that I saw the concert I remember, but I don't remember there being a singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    My vinyl copy says Sky2

On the back it just says Sky.

Esoteric - I sent a private message, please check your notifications. Thanks!

(L)Second album | (R) First album in US

As far as I can tell, they're the same material.

(L)Second album | (R) First album in US

Never seen the second version. Both vinyl versions I own, have the first cover.

Google says it was Patrick Rös.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/2263472-Patrick-R%C3%B6s

That looks like the guy that I remember. Sorry for sidetracking the thread.

Ah - I stand corrected. That's the guy...dunno where I got McWiliams from...

[CENTER]
    They are. The second album wasn't called "Sky 2" in the US because the debut wasn't released here.