Thread: Carl Palmer on his E-coli

Carl Palmer on his E-coli

MESSAGE FROM CARL PALMER

Dear Asia fans,

By the time many of you read this you will have heard that I have had to cancel the Asia 30th Anniversary tour of the UK this week. I was given less than a 10% chance of playing the tour. On Thursday afternoon I had lost my battle and under strict instructions from my Doctors I was told I had to cancel . By this time I could hardly stand up to the infection. E-coli had completely taken over.

I have always been proud of the fact that I have never cancelled a tour in my professional career, in 47 years as a musician. It had always been a personal goal of mine to maintain this feat, now sadly lost.

I would like to say to the people of Holmfirth and my home City of Birmingham, and to all the other places we were about to play, please accept my deepest apologies.

I would like to thank all of the people involved, including the Promoters and all of the Management involved In helping me through this terrible experience I am going through with E-coli. The messages and support from band mates have been so warm.
    Most of all many thanks to Asia fans for being so understanding.

Carl Palmer

How did he contract E Coli? I hadn't heard about this.

So sorry to hear this. Carl is amazing. I saw him two years ago with Asia, and his energy level was unbelievable. He got a well deserved standing ovation after his drum solo, and if you closed your eyes, it STILL sounded like he was 17. I wish him well.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    "Asia UK Tour Cancelled"...thread further down main page.

Best wishes to Carl for a full recovery. Dude's in great shape for his age, hoping he'll be fine.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I saw him with the Carl Palmer Band awhile back. He looked and played fantastic. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    "Asia UK Tour Cancelled"...thread further down main page.
    I looked, but I didn't see any report(s) that indicated exactly how he was infected.

Get well soon, Carl...so sorry you are ill.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

As far as I know E coli is a virus. I'm sure after some antibiotics and rest he'll back to normal before too long. I hope he gets well.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

No, it's a bacteria. It comes in lots of varieties, most of which are harmless and even needed in the human gut, but there are some which are nasty. When people talk about getting E. Coli as a disease it means they've got one of the virulent strains. The result is very very nasty food poisoning which goes beyond just getting sick and causes damage to the body, creates toxins etc.
    Not surprised he had to cancel the tour... poor guy

You can get it from vegetables as much as meat, or from surface contact. The treatment is indeed antibiotics and lots of looking after.

One of my mother's best friends had a nasty, nasty case of it and was in the hospital for 9 days. For a while, they didn't know if she was going to recover.

All because she was eating raw ground beef while making meatloaf.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

My sympathies go out to Carl. I'm bummed to be missing Asia, and this also means 2012 will be the first year I haven't seen any Yesmen live for a long, long time!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Hope he gets well. E-Coli sounds serious. Most news I hear/read about E-Coli is usually pretty serious, like in third world, underdeveloped countries. It usually has to do with fecal matter in their drinking water. Then you hear news stories about spinach or cantelopes being recalled because of e-coli. I guess anyone can get it.

I don't know if I've ever had food poisoning. One time at a restaurant I ate a salad with shrimp in it. Next day I felt like I had a nasty flu. I turned white as a ghost and I was aching all over. I didn't see a doctor. I just gutted it out for about 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    E-Coli sounds serious. Most news I hear/read about E-Coli is usually pretty serious, like in third world, underdeveloped countries. It usually has to do with fecal matter in their drinking water. Then you hear news stories about spinach or cantelopes being recalled because of e-coli. I guess anyone can get it.
    The cantaloupe case was due to unsanitary handling at the packing plants while the spinach cases were due to water used for irrigation being contaminated with cattle and pigs fecal matter. Keeping the fields and irrigation wells fenced and at a safe distance from animals, septic tanks and Porta Pottys will reduce the chance of e coli contamination on the crops.

most obvious source of E-coli is food. when your eating food that's prepared for you from restaurants, caterers, etc... your taking your changes. but no one else got it, so it had to be something only Carl was in contact with.... or someone.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    most obvious source of E-coli is food. when your eating food that's prepared for you from restaurants, caterers, etc... your taking your changes.
    Your chances you mean. Yeah, people who eat out a lot have a higher risk. My older brother got hepititus from a restaurant. He eats out a lot, and travels a lot on business so he's always eating food that's prepaired by people he doesn't know. I hear people talk about unsanitary conditions are in most restaurants. Any 5 star restaurant, at any given time can get a bad inspection. It's just the way it is. I've worked in restaurants and fast food joints. You sincerely make an effort to keep the place as clean as possible but it's so easy to get slack with how crazy kitchens can be. And every restaurant, no matter how clean they keep it has roaches and rats. It's inevitable.