Thread: FEATURED CD - Nurse With Wound : The Swinging Reflective Favourite Moments of Mutual

FEATURED CD - Nurse With Wound : The Swinging Reflective Favourite Moments of Mutual

And now for something completely different:

Per "D.Borrie" on Amazon:
    The Swinging Reflective is a compilation of collaborations between Stapleton and various other avante-garde luminaries, such as Stereolab, Foetus and Current93. As a newcomer to Nurse With Wound, it is difficult to judge the extent of Stapleton's own contribution to each track.
    Perhaps the answer lies in the fact that the two discs flow in a manner at once chaotic and clever; as each track manifests as a collection of tape-splices and audio jump-cuts executed for humour or shock-value, so each track tends to abut its neighbours in a similar fashion.
    The collection as a whole is like an extended, trippy tape-collage, whose contents include:- psychedelic 60's drumming, fuzz guitar, primitive electronics, tape effects, signal-processing, improvised vocal ranting, spooky laughing children, radio-dialogue excerpts, and moments of blissful pop melancholy.
    Anyone with an open mind who has heard and liked music as diverse as Faust, Coil, Can, Broadcast, Swans, Hawkwind, and Einsturzende Neubauten will find plenty of enjoyable listening here.
    http://www.amazon.com/Swinging-Refle.../dp/B00002R0TL

Regards,

Duncan

I haven't heard this, but for me NWW are a mixed bag.

Homotopy for Marie and the compilation Funeral Music for Perez Prado are solid-gold masterpieces but nothing else I have heard by them (or him) reaches that level.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

A surprising feature, to say the least. Kudos for bringing them up.

I *kinda* like the concept of NWW and some of their albums - especially "Homotopy for Marie", "Spiral Insana" and the dada masterpiece "Sylvie & Babs". Yet, frankly, I still think the best thing they ever did was that legendary NWW-list that came with their 1st LP. A brilliant rundown of the craziest, most eccentric and beautiful little-known musical works up to 1979 with a solid dose of progressive rock within, but not limited to that, I'd say nothing did quite as much for shaping my music collector's mentality as this unique document. Still a must for anyone eager to dig deeper into the underground music of the 1960-70s.

Musically my greatest impression was not really their recorded music (though there are some classic works as I said), but a live show that they played in Moscow 5 or 6 years ago. It was quite breathtaking, with a man in gas mask playing guitar, with another guy throwing big heavy chain upon a metal sheet in lieu of traditional percussion, and with their on/off collaborator David Tibet guesting on the vocals. Amazing! They were invited to play here again last year, but unfortunately, this time around it was nearly all drone-ambient stuff throughout and as such, not nearly as interesting. It ended abruptly too, because of the PA failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    I still think the best thing they ever did was that legendary NWW-list that came with their 1st LP. A brilliant rundown of the craziest, most eccentric and beautiful little-known musical works up to 1979 with a solid dose of progressive rock within, but not limited to that, I'd say nothing did quite as much for shaping my music collector's mentality as this unique document. Still a must for anyone eager to dig deeper into the underground music of the 1960-70s.
    The NWW-list remains one of the most interesting "reference statements" ever published by a modern musical artist, IMO. It really should have been subjected to far more attention by both friends and foes of progressive rock, seeing how the list entwines a fascinatingly broad set of seemingly irrational connection dots between otherwise disparate points in underground music. Sadly it appears that more people from the outside than the tiny inside of the circuit actually knows about it - and its importance.

As for the music of NWW themselves, I can give or take. I've only kept the first two albums.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I need to hear this.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

I'm a pretty big Stereolab fan so I guess I need to check this out!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    And now for something completely different

If memory serves, this is the one that has the NWW/Foetus tribute to Brainticket, “Brained by Falling Masonry.” I believe that’s the only track I’ve heard from this.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

My personal opinion of NWW is that they're often far too silly for my tastes. But I do like some of their work, like Soliloquy for Lilith, which is a drone masterpiece, The Sylvie and Babs High Thigh Companion, which transcends mere silliness to create some truly funny moments, and the L.A.Y.L.A.H. CD coupling of two EPs, Brained / Gyllenskold. I also highly rate the Stapleton/Tibet collaborations, The Sadness of Things, which re-enters drone mode, and Musical Pumpkin Cottage, which actually ROCKS in a very Krautrock-like fashion!
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

I own close to 40 N.W.W. full albums, mini LPs, 12" and collaborations. There are one of my "bands" of reference when it comes to 80s music. After all this mileage, I can say that their most interesting and proliferous period is the 1979-1993. Important albums for experimental rock and futuristic avant garde with a strong sense of dadaistic silliness: "Merzbild Schwet", "Homotopie to Marie", "The Sylvie and Bab's hi-fi Companion", "Spiral Insana", "Soliloquy for Lilith", "Live at Bar Maldoror" (a psychedelic masterpiece), "Lumb's Sister" (in the box with Sol Invictus and Current 93), "Thunder Perfect Mind" (with all these avant garde industrialisms). All perfect examples of their unique, kaleidoscopic, colourful sonic universe.

From then onwards, I think that Steven Stapleton got himself trapped in a kind of "maniera" (art imitating art). Only the reworking of "Rock'n'roll Station" (as "Second Pirate Session") and the ambient maritime wasteland of "Salt Marie Celeste" seemed to deviate from this norm and offer something close to their peak years. The increasingly active involvement of Colin Potter in the end result, is probably the reason why most albums sound like being compromised to more ambient structures with lesser degrees of unpredictability.

As for their collaborations -which is the subject of the featured-CD, "The Sadness of Things" (with David Tibet) and "Revenge of the Selfish Shellfish" (with Tony Wakeford) are their best i.m.o. Then, "Disconnected" (with Faust) and the "Angry Eelectric Finger" trilogy (with Jim O'Rourke, Irr.App.(Ext.) & Cyclobe). I'm not so fond of the one with Stereolab as it is pleasurable krautrock in one hand but on the other, very formulaic considering the N.W.W. albums of the era.

The list included with their debut album was indeed a revelation. At least for me, when I "mistakenly" purchased their debut in 1980, judging from the cover that it should be a great punk album. I already had few albums by some referenced artists and it kick-started a fascinating journey of discovering music that (for the most featured artists) went beyond the boundaries.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 12-13-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Very suprised to see them mentioned on a Prog forum, but also impressed. It's good to keep an open mind.

I love a lot of the albums (most of the best ones have been mentioned already, but i'll give another shout to 'Spiral Insana' and 'Sylvie and Babs'. Both incredible works in my book and Homotopy To Marie, which is one of the scariest records in existance) and would credit them as one of the major gateways into more bizarre music/non-music for me. I think i discovered them on a Krautrock binge and liked the stuff that sounded like the first Faust album.

Obviously, for something so off the wall and considering just how much music he has put out, i feel Stapleton has also released a large amount of dross and i have nothing since 'Who Can I Turn To Stereo' on cd (another great album and downright accessable for NWW). I do have a cdr with a bunch of late 90's-10's stuff on it, some of which is utterly useless and some of which is quite brilliant. Frustratingly, there aren't any track titles on it.

File under -'appeal selective'

The list included with their debut album was indeed a revelation. At least for me, when I "mistakenly" purchased their debut in 1980, judging from the cover that it should be a great punk album

If memory serves, this is the one that has the NWW/Foetus tribute to Brainticket, “Brained by Falling Masonry.” I believe that’s the only track I’ve heard from this.
    It is, but it's a different (inferior imo) version. I think my favourite version is from 'Large Ladies With Cake In The Oven'....Stapletons bloody stupid song/album titles will be the death of my fingers

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    I think my favourite version is from 'Large Ladies With Cake In The Oven'....Stapletons bloody stupid song/album titles will be the death of my fingers
    They’re my favourite feature of NWW, along with that mindblowing list that came with Chance Meeting...

That title makes me think of “Limbo cottage with ladies in the moat.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Once more the worldshaking question arises: what is music? Does "music" have to have some kind of plan or structure or is it enough to produce and cumulate any audible signals?

O.K., I know that so called avant garde has to be provoking or even offensive by definition, but to me, this "Wounded Nurse" thing is an example for what is NOT music. "Experimental rock and futuristic avant garde with a strong sense of dadaistic silliness"? Yes, but only if you choose to put that label on a mingle-mangle of randomly sampled sounds and noises. I appreciate that for some "advanced" folks it can be interesting or even entertaining, but I personally don't want to spend any time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer56 View Post
    O.K., I know that so called avant garde has to be provoking or even offensive by definition, but to me, this "Wounded Nurse" thing is an example for what is NOT music. "Experimental rock and futuristic avant garde with a strong sense of dadaistic silliness"? Yes, but only if you choose to put that label on a mingle-mangle of randomly sampled sounds and noises. I appreciate that for some "advanced" folks it can be interesting or even entertaining, but I personally don't want to spend any time on it.
    What some find as offensive random noise, is enjoyable music to others. For me I find this just as enjoyable as Starcastle, Just because it's not your cuppa does not mean it has to be put down.

Once more the worldshaking question arises: what is music? Does "music" have to have some kind of plan or structure or is it enough to produce and cumulate any audible signals?

O.K., I know that so called avant garde has to be provoking or even offensive by definition, but to me, this "Wounded Nurse" thing is an example for what is NOT music.
    Last paragraph: the Pokot people in southern Kenya have a strong musical tradition, but they would NOT enjoy Genesis or Yes.
    Mid paragraph: "so called avant garde" does NOT have to be "provoking or even offensive by definition". Where did you hear/read this? And btw, "this 'Wounded Nurse' thing" was hardly more provocative or offensive in 1980 than Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd had been in 1966.
    First paragraph: Edgar Varese - "Music defines as organized sound".

The times have moved beyond Brahms and The Beatles now. They did a very, very long time ago.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

And why to waste time on writing about your lack of interest, appreciation and understanding? To discourage people from featuring and discussing similar albums on this forum I suspect.

2 adewolf & scrotum scissor:

Thank you for your replies and instructions. You both are competely right!

I thought that I had pointed out clearly enough that my posting reflects just my subjective view ... and sorry for my literally not existing personal definition of avant garde. Of course I do respect musical traditions and efforts of all kinds, may they be "progressive", Pokot, Maurizio Bianchi, Japanoise, Musique concrète, Nguru flute or Inuit throat singing. But I don't have to like all of it. Imho in a "featured CD" thread there should be more controversial discussion, not only special expert or fan opinions respectively excessive promotion ("I own close to 40 N.W.W. full albums, mini LPs, 12" and collaborations"), so I thought some contradiction could bring in some life.

Btw, I don't like Starcastle.

Of course I do respect musical traditions and efforts of all kinds, may they be "progressive", Pokot, Maurizio Bianchi, Japanoise, Musique concrète, Nguru flute or Inuit throat singing.
    I believe you on each and every point - but NOT POKOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    And why to waste time on writing about your lack of interest, appreciation and understanding? To discourage people from featuring and discussing similar albums on this forum I suspect.
    As I pointed out above: my goal was to ENcourage people in featuring and discussing similar albums on this forum. No waste of time to initiate a discussion. It's a discussion forum here, isn't it? Too bad if people can't stand opposing views or dislikes of their faves, but regrettably that seems to be a characteristic of all music forums.

@ Scrotum Scissor:

excessive promotion ("I own close to 40 N.W.W. full albums, mini LPs, 12" and collaborations"),
    I shamefully confess that Mr. Stapleton, pays my rent. And Mr. Makoto my food, as I used to have over 50 albums of his...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I shamefully confess that Mr. Stapleton, pays my rent. And Mr. Makoto my food, as I used to have over 50 albums of his...
    Oh, really, I had no idea. Stapleton and Makoto must be well-off.

Makoto must be well-off.
    Just out of interest; do you know who Makoto is? It appears that you didn't really know about "this 'Wounded Nurse' thing" before abruptly casting judgement over an artistic phenomenon which several seasoned contributors had already expressed a versed stance on - so wouldn't you agree that when, say, an AC/DC fanatic casts judgement on, say, an album like Relayer - he/she should preferably at least know what the object in question "is"?
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 12-14-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Kowtow. I must admit that I did not know up to this day that Kawabata Makoto is an essential part of Acid Mothers Temple. Of the latter I knew quite well, but never went deeper in for their musical work - for the same reason why I cast my quick judgement over the "wounded nurse thing": I spontaneously disliked it.

I'm very sorry to have had only limited knowledge about the very origins of the artistic efforts I did put down in such a shameful way, and please forgive me that I dared to tackle the versed stances of several seasoned contributors of this noble and venerable board, which seems to be a refuge for high end experts only . I deeply realize that I am not qualified to raise my unworthy voice here, and humbly withdraw from this thread.

Btw, I like AC/DC.

I'm very sorry to have had only limited knowledge about the very origins of the artistic efforts I did put down in such a shameful way, and please forgive me that I dared to tackle the versed stances of several seasoned contributors of this noble and venerable board, which seems to be a refuge for high end experts only . I deeply realize that I am not qualified to raise my unworthy voice here, and humbly withdraw from this thread.