Thread: YES-The 'alternate' Time & a Word album!

YES-The 'alternate' Time & a Word album!

Wondering if anyone can help?

I love this album but would have much preferred it minus orchestra. I prefer listening to Banks & Kaye playing those orchestra parts! I am trying to create my own 'alternate live Time & a Word' album. I've just about managed it from the BBC recordings but I need The Prophet & Clear Days to make it complete. Does anyone know of any good quality boots where I can get those songs, if indeed they where ever played live?
    Last edited by Rufus; 12-09-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

I love this album but would have much preferred it minus orchestra.
    To me the orchestra, the best of that album.

I believe both "Clear Days" and "The Prophet" were in fact played live in the early days but I don't recall ever seeing them on a boot... but then, I don't think I ever collected anything pre-Yes Album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Maybe there will be a "Time and a Word Naked" like with Let it Be a few years ago. Anyway, I like it just as it is but that's just me. Does the orchestra ruin it? Some people seem to think so but for me it would be an entirely different album. I think it works. Good luck with your search in finding tracks without the orchestra though.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

i for one would love to hear a mix without orchestra. there are some moments on the album where the orchestra sounds a bit too separate from the the band for my tastes.

I like the orchestra. Mostly.

No, the original is not the best example of rock band and orchestra but it still works better than DP's "concerto with rock band and orchestra" or whatever it's called.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

I love this album but would have much preferred it minus orchestra. I prefer listening to Banks & Kaye playing those orchestra parts! I am trying to create my own 'alternate live Time & a Word' album. I've just about managed it from the BBC recordings but I need The Prophet & Clear Days to make it complete. Does anyone know of any good quality boots where I can get those songs, if indeed they where ever played live?
    I suspect the BBC recordings released some time ago is about as close as you'll get..

I agree that the orchestra makes the material seem more leaden than it is. It's a 'difficult second album' nevertheless- some of it is an advance on the debut, some of it isn't. And I remember not being thrilled with the mix.

The Rhino CD has those extra tracks with the alternate mixes...I remember seeing a record of this album with a colour (as opposed to black-and-white) cover which I later read also featured these alternate mixes, presumably by mistake! I don't remember how different the mixes are.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I agree that the orchestra makes the material seem more leaden than it is. It's a 'difficult second album' nevertheless- some of it is an advance on the debut, some of it isn't. And I remember not being thrilled with the mix.

The Rhino CD has those extra tracks with the alternate mixes...I remember seeing a record of this album with a colour (as opposed to black-and-white) cover which I later read also featured these alternate mixes, presumably by mistake! I don't remember how different the mixes are.
    Yeah I read somewhere (perhaps Henry commented on this some time ago) that there was a Dutch release with alternative mixes..