Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Packaging Plus

Vinyl Packaging Plus

Guess this is for vinyl people. Remember the days when a new album came packed with all types of books and posters? Got a new copy of Goodby Yellow Brick Road and it contained the books like the original. Some others were, Live At Leeds, Living In The Past, Grand Funk Railroad, Fragile had an incert and so did Yessongs. The Captain Fantastic Poster was great. I liked the Live At Leeds the most because the poster is still iconic. Remember any others and do you still have the incerts?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Guess this is for vinyl people. Remember the days when a new album came packed with all types of books and posters? Got a new copy of Goodby Yellow Brick Road and it contained the books like the original. Some others were, Live At Leeds, Living In The Past, Grand Funk Railroad, Fragile had an incert and so did Yessongs. The Captain Fantastic Poster was great. I liked the Live At Leeds the most because the poster is still iconic. Remember any others and do you still have the incerts?
    Well, I guess the first question I have is WHAT BOOKS IN GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD?? As far as I remember, there never were any and my new copy doesn't have any either. It DOES however replicate the original triple-fold-out sleeve with all the beautiful artwork and lyrics.

Elton's Captain Fantastic.. had 2 booklets and the poster. Hopefully that will get reissued the same way.

Living In The Past was a nice package. Thick as a Brick was cool too, Just recently had an original of that with the fold-out newspaper in mint shape.

Santana's Lotus which was a nightmarishly complex fold-out cover recently was reissued the same way.

I always loved the pop-up band on Tull's "This Was" album too and have a great copy original of that. Hopefully they do it the same way when it gets redone as well.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Well, I guess the first question I have is WHAT BOOKS IN GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD?? As far as I remember, there never were any and my new copy doesn't have any either. It DOES however replicate the original triple-fold-out sleeve with all the beautiful artwork and lyrics.

Elton's Captain Fantastic.. had 2 booklets and the poster. Hopefully that will get reissued the same way.

Living In The Past was a nice package. Thick as a Brick was cool too, Just recently had an original of that with the fold-out newspaper in mint shape.

Santana's Lotus which was a nightmarishly complex fold-out cover recently was reissued the same way.

I always loved the pop-up band on Tull's "This Was" album too and have a great copy original of that. Hopefully they do it the same way when it gets redone as well.
    GYBR had two books. Lyrics just like the inside gate fold and a book with just notes and a couple of photos. Wished I could have seen the pop up Tull.

I remember these

Beatles white album had 4 big photos and a poster of what I thinks should have been the cover.
    Zappa - You cant do that on stage anymore vol 2 is a cardboard box with inlays
    Embryo Reise has a big inlay with several pages
    Embryo - La Blama Sparozzi is a carboard box

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    When I bought DSOTM in the mid 80's it came with this

360455976086.jpg

And there's the giant rolling paper that came with Big Bambu.

b428cheechchong.jpg
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Faust - So Far had an insert picture for each song, 9 I think.
    The pyramid posters that came with Dark Side of the Moon
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I think one of the best ever was Chicago at Carnegie Hall, with three posters, one of which was 4X8 feet. I have that set in mint condition, except, of course, the vinyl part.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Beatles white album had 4 big photos and a poster of what I thinks should have been the cover.
    But, you couldn't call it The White ALbum, then, could you?

The original title was to be "A Doll's House." I can only imagine the cover.

But, I digress.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^ Well, I did - stlll do
    They chickened out, they must pay
    The title just: 'The Beatles' is a bit lame, isn't it?
    The poster looks look like this: http://www.mybeatlescollection.com/i...bum/poster.jpg
    Nothing to get hung about

The Chicago albums were loaded with goodies. I have tried to keep all inserts and posters with the original albums. While it doesn't have any inserts, I think the 3 LP box set of Yes' Union Live is gorgeous. Nicely done!

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The title just: 'The Beatles' is a bit lame, isn't it?
    It's minimalism. Keep in mind that it was 1968. Nobody did anything like that before in popular music. At least, not at that level. While it might seem lame today, it was provocative back then.

Can't remember if it had an insert, but Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow is just a gorgeous package.

I'm pretty sure I kept the poster Queen included in their Jazz album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Can't remember if it had an insert, but Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow is just a gorgeous package.

I'm pretty sure I kept the poster Queen included in their Jazz album.
    No incert but it was beautiful. Like Alan Parsons' Tales. It was like a book.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think one of the best ever was Chicago at Carnegie Hall, with three posters, one of which was 4X8 feet. I have that set in mint condition, except, of course, the vinyl part.
    Never had the album but I knew people who did. I remember the huge poster.

It's minimalism. Keep in mind that it was 1968. Nobody did anything like that before in popular music. At least, not at that level. While it might seem lame today, it was provocative back then.
    Pepper had the cardboard cut outs didn't it?

GYBR had two books. Lyrics just like the inside gate fold and a book with just notes and a couple of photos. Wished I could have seen the pop up Tull.
    And these books are back in the new reissue of GYBR?? Would you mind sharing what the barcode is on your LP? Mine is the newest version and is 6 02537 53495 1 and folds out twice but has no booklets.
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Wished I could have seen the pop up Tull.

I don't have a picture camera here but could show you on Skype. Pretty cool.
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Black Sabbath 'Master Of Reality' had a good size poster of the band.

Jefferson Airplane 'Long John Silver' cover could be reassembled into a cardboard stash box.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Provocative?

Pepper had the cardboard cut outs didn't it?
    Cardboard cut outs and buttons and stuff, all duplicated (and parodied) by the first issue of "We're Only In It For The Money."

Mandrake Memorial's "Puzzle" came with a cardboard turntable mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Provocative?

Need a dictionary?

I guess nobody said anything about it in your universe of ambivalence.

Need a dictionary?

I guess nobody said anything about it in your universe of ambivalence.
    I hope you are doing ok. Your snarkiness has reached new heights lately. Be well.

The Deep Purple Perfect Strangers 12" single came with a poster of the Purple family tree.

The cover of Ambrosia's Somewhere I've Never Traveled folds into a pyramid.

My copy of Thick As A Brick includes a mock newspaper.
    Last edited by AZProgger; 12-10-2014 at 01:58 PM.

I hope you are doing ok. Your snarkiness has reached new heights lately. Be well.
    Me? I'm doing well. But, if you want snarkiness:

Provocative?

Alice Cooper School's Out came in a mock old school desk with a pair of pink panties.

I got that album when I was ten and those panties got as much attention as the music.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone