Thread: Believe it or not ELP did use a mellotron!

Believe it or not ELP did use a mellotron!

But only for four shows and it was Greg Lake playing it. Here are the details.

http://www.greglake.com/Museum/Photo...epers_062.html

I was looking up the track listing for their live album "welcome back my friends..." when I stumbled upon information in the Wikipedia page that said "Abandon's Bolero" was only played live a few times with mellotron. At first I thought it was a typo then I saw the picture. For me this is sort of like winning the lottery. I don't blame Keith for not using it but it's cool that at least one of them tried it out. So use this information to win bets with someone next time you are at a prog concert.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    *I* blame Keith for not using it.

Cool find, Mike!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Not really news, this clips was posted ages ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtQY9fBxkI

Didn't Keith also use a Mellotron in the intro to Tarkus?

Bill

I thought we establish that the voices at the beginning of Tarkus go on for too long for it to be a Mellotron. Some of them sustain for almost 30 seconds, and I believe the Mellotron limit was 8 seconds.

I guess the studio version of Abandon's Bolero used overdubbed moog according to Emerson, this from the Planetmellotron site. He doesn't mention anything about this live version.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Cool find, Mike!
    Yeah well sometimes you find the best things by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Not really news, this clips was posted ages ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtQY9fBxkI

Bill
    Well I don't remember anyone ever mentioning this on here before but please forgive me if someone did post it on here recently. No, I don't think that's a mellotron on Tarkus.

Does anyone know the specific reasons why Keith was so deadest against using the tron? Did he just not like the way it sounded or did he think it was too temperamental(which apparently it was)?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

Does anyone know the specific reasons why Keith was so deadest against using the tron? Did he just not like the way it sounded or did he think it was too temperamental(which apparently it was)?
    I seem to recall reading once where Keith said that he didn't like using the synth to emulate orchestral instruments, he wanted to use it for the new timbres it could produce. It would seem to make sense that one might extend that logic to the Mellotron, that he just wasn't into using an instrument that was intended to sound like other instruments.

Interesting article, even has a pic:

http://www.planetmellotron.com/revposs.htm#elp

Bill
    who is playing bass then?

Keith via the pedals?? not likely
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The intro to Tarkus was likely done via tape loops along the lines of what 10cc did with I'm Not In Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Looks like Greg on the Mini Moog. Watch the hands.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I thought we establish that the voices at the beginning of Tarkus go on for too long for it to be a Mellotron. Some of them sustain for almost 30 seconds, and I believe the Mellotron limit was 8 seconds.
    True, but I'd heard at one point they used a Mellotron voice or two, in combination with some other voices, in some sort of tape loop, where they could get it to sound for as long as they liked. That could be wrong. The article posted above seems to imply they never used Tron until Trilogy. I guess I'd heard at one point there was Tron there, but that could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Probably Lake, playing the bass line on the Mini Moog. The article addresses this as well, saying there may actually be no bass part, just what is implied by the bass drum. My guess, though, is that Lake is playing it on the Moog.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The intro to Tarkus was likely done via tape loops along the lines of what 10cc did with I'm Not In Love.
    Right, this is my sense as well. Whether there's a Tron voice in there, I'm not sure. It never sounded particularly like Tron to me, but they could have used an obscure tape, or treated it afterward to sound different.

If it isn't Tron (and it probably isn't), what is it making those weird voice-like sounds at the beginning of Tarkus?

Bill

Tony O. posted a link to the video back in May. Check the thread for that and other photos.
    (BTW, this was not a secret. Emo has talked about it in interviews going back decades.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...g-Lake-on-keys

Probably Lake, playing the bass line on the Mini Moog. The article addresses this as well, saying there may actually be no bass part, just what is implied by the bass drum. My guess, though, is that Lake is playing it on the Moog.
    I thought about bass drums as a possibilty, but not likely from what I heard
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If it isn't Tron (and it probably isn't), what is it making those weird voice-like sounds at the beginning of Tarkus?

Bill
    From Steven Wilson's notes on the reissue of Tarkus:

"For example the piece begins with Eruption that fades in with a vocal texture. This was Greg overdubbing the voice twenty times done at a completely separate session. So there is just one piece of tape with a block of Greg's voice singing 'Ah's' at many different pitches...".

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    From Steven Wilson's notes on the reissue of Tarkus:

"For example the piece begins with Eruption that fades in with a vocal texture. This was Greg overdubbing the voice twenty times done at a completely separate session. So there is just one piece of tape with a block of Greg's voice singing 'Ah's' at many different pitches...".
    Cool. So it is sort of a Tron. It's a Greg Lake AcapellaTron!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I seem to recall reading once where Keith said that he didn't like using the synth to emulate orchestral instruments, he wanted to use it for the new timbres it could produce. It would seem to make sense that one might extend that logic to the Mellotron, that he just wasn't into using an instrument that was intended to sound like other instruments.
    I always had the idea that he didn't like the Tron because you can't play it fast!

Isn't there a quote from Keith saying that using a mellotron was against his morals on account of it featuring other musicians on the pre recorded tape??

Greg looks funny crouched over the tron and minimoog. Abaddon's Bolero is a great piece. It's too bad that they couldn't sort it to play live properly. I love the orchestral version.