Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Test Your Gullibility

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    It's. Not. A. Laser. Turntable. It's an art installation. The. Sound. Is. Not. Coming. From. The. Record. And yeah, real laser turntables are mighty sophisticated!
    I don't know. Sounds complicated.
    Don't think you are going to win this one.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    playing the vinyls backwards is not a problem >> many idiots tried discovering evil incantations on them that way
    If the corresponding music was backwards, then I'd agree, but it's not, it's forwards. It sounds odd at first, so I wasn't sure, but if you listen through to the end of the piece, it's obviously forwards-sounding, albeit heavily processed.

A laser turntable is a thing -- it exists. It does not look anything like the attached video. Art installation/prank/troll/whatever you want to call it. The sound in the video is coming from elsewhere.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    Art installation/prank/troll/whatever you want to call it. The sound in the video is coming from elsewhere.
    Which they clearly state in their description.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Test Your Gullibility, Part Two.

Count the clues.

They deserve evey dollar people "invest" in those voodoo gizmos. I am certain that an audible difference is noticed by the "investors" as long as you get the polarity of the AC Right!

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    as long as you get the polarity of the AC Right!
    You not only have to get the polarity right on your alternating current, you ALSO have to plug in something they invented called "a ground plane" which plugs into the "grounding plug" on your home's AC socket. Classic!

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I'm glad someone finally invented ground planes. PC board layout folks everywhere will be relieved.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I don't know. Sounds complicated.
    Don't think you are going to win this one.
    It's probably all BS....so fakery or art installation...roughly the same, imo.

It wouldn't need to be very complicated. It could be a laser sensor of some kind with an analog output that triggers some software. Can't say I've seen any laser sensors that small though.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It could be a laser sensor of some kind with an analog output that triggers some software.
    They said that's what it was. It's not even a laser. Just a simple photosensor.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Test Your Gullibility, Part Two.
    HA! His power amp is in the window! That extra 2 degrees the rays of the sun raises his equipment temperature renders his whole system out of calibration and his modifications null and useless! CHUMP!! I bet he hasn't even shielded the room in lead to block cosmic rays. Loser.

Seriously, this is hard core lunatic fringe bullcrap. Entertaining though. Did he say that thing was called FU-Q?? I skimmed the 14 minutes of that- did they ever attempt an explanation of WTF that was even supposed to accomplish?

Edit, ok I see. It's supposed to compensate for horrible room acoustics I guess. Well that would be special.

did they ever attempt an explanation of WTF that was even supposed to accomplish?
    None of it connected to the stereo at any point. That's a pretty good clue.

None of it connected to the stereo at any point. That's a pretty good clue.
    Well... you can do weird stuff, say, with a mic in a unit and throwing it out of phase, like noise cancelling headphones and then pumping that inverted phase signal back out through a speaker and it wouldn't be connected to the stereo. But they're not. This is just silly. The biggest clue to me is they're asking you to listen to the difference it makes on a freaking Youtube video. They have other videos where they demonstrate the difference and apparently you're supposed to hear it. That's like making a TV commercial about how amazing your new TV looks and having people see it on their crappy old tvs. "I dunno Ma, looks the same to me!!" *lol*

Suspended
    I don't quite see the point of these arguments about real or fake. Clearly just about anything could be faked for the Internet. There is a thing called Photoshop...

The question should be: is the setup impossible, or is it conceivable that it could be made to actually work?

Off to polish the reading glasses...

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The question should be: is the setup impossible, or is it conceivable that it could be made to actually work?
    In order to WORK it has to DO SOMETHING and in order to DO SOMETHING it has to, I dunno, be connected somewhere?

Suspended
    In order to WORK it has to DO SOMETHING and in order to DO SOMETHING it has to, I dunno, be connected somewhere?
    Well, power can be stored in a battery, and signals can be transmitted via say Bluetooth.

Come to think of it, an aunt of my mother's had a gramophone that required no connections whatsoever to any power source, and no batteries either. You just cranked the handle to wind it up, and pressed Play.

Oh okay, that explains the "High Frequency Transducers" (sic) then!

Which they clearly state in their description.
    We are governed by the laws of gravity yet in particle physics, gravitation is by far the weakest of the four fundamental interactions.

Architectural structures must yield to gravity but what happens when we remove this principle? What new structures could exist without the constraints of gravitational force?

In this concept, 7 vinyl records are suspended in the air by electromagnets. A toenarm is mounted with an optical sensor which picks up the light patterns from the surface of the record. There is no needle touching the record. The optical sensor acts as a virtual stylus hovering above the grooves. Sounds are processed in a sound-generating software program and amplified through speakers.
    [Emphasis mine - Ed.]How is that clear? They make it sound like a prototype. It's not. No optical sensor picks up light patterns from the surface of the record yielding sounds which are processed in software. The two (the sounds and the visual) are disjoint.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Photosensor means sensing light. Bouncing a laser off the surface is just a more focused way of doing it (compared to using ambient light in the room or whatever). The laswer then has to be sensed with a "photosensor" (I'm giving them some leeway - they may be using a more general term and not getting into the specific device used). But what I was really getting at was that the idea is at least somewhat plausible, so I am on your side. I was approaching it from what could be done without trying to determine if it is actually what was being done (since, as has been noted, it's just a video and easily faked).

The gullible do WANT to believe, don't we?

Just for reference, here's another video by the folks who brought you Floating Record Player. Note the music is completely in sync, and starts exactly in time. This video is a little more obviously dubbed.
    http://youtu.be/AXC0aviJDXg
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-11-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    [Emphasis mine - Ed.]How is that clear? They make it sound like a prototype. It's not. No optical sensor picks up light patterns from the surface of the record yielding sounds which are processed in software. The two (the sounds and the visual) are disjoint.
    Well...without knowing exactly how the signal from the optical sensor (assuming there truly is one in the video) is being processed by the software it would be hard to say for certain. For example, it's hard to understand why the sound would change so much with different timbres entering the picture over time when we don't see anything changing in the physical motion of the spinning records to warrant it. But all that could be accounted for in the software. They could even have intentionally programmed in some time delays or had something begin to trigger sometime later depending on a rolling average derived from a narrow band of frequency content in the signal from the sensor.

Or it could all be BS.

Perhaps, but neither should we dismiss out of hand things we don't immediately have an explanation for.

This is perhaps where Occam's Razor isn't always the best advice.

I was thinking they said the software was triggered by the input, but they do seem to imply that the signal from the sensor is then manipulated by software. Which I tend to think is BS. I am willing to buy that a sample of some kind in the pc is triggered by the process. I feel confident I could build that exact rig and have it work just like theirs does.

Just for reference, here's another video by the folks who brought you Floating Record Player. Note the music is completely in sync, and starts exactly in time. This video is a little more obviously dubbed.
    http://youtu.be/AXC0aviJDXg
    Completely conceivable that he could have done multiple takes until he got it right but unlikely. I'm with you on this one. The rig is, again, plausible though.

HA! His power amp is in the window! That extra 2 degrees the rays of the sun raises his equipment temperature renders his whole system out of calibration and his modifications null and useless! CHUMP!! I bet he hasn't even shielded the room in lead to block cosmic rays. Loser.

Seriously, this is hard core lunatic fringe bullcrap. Entertaining though. Did he say that thing was called FU-Q?? I skimmed the 14 minutes of that- did they ever attempt an explanation of WTF that was even supposed to accomplish?

Edit, ok I see. It's supposed to compensate for horrible room acoustics I guess. Well that would be special.

there's an incredible amount of things I see in these catalogs and magazines that are uber bullcrap.

First, your hearing is capable of picking up higher ranges when you are young. Most folks who can afford this stuff already have diminished range, let alone ever being able to hear certain ranges that are enjoyed by dogs, bats and dolphins and not humans. You may not even be able to hear the difference in "the adjustment it makes to the highest highs and the lowest lows" because you're an old fart that doesn't fly around and eat mosquitos.

Then, you have things that I doubt make a difference at all: How does a 1500$ outlet and 5000$/foot cables lined with the ass hair of a rare Himalayan yak and sitting on guides and supports so it does not touch the floor really affect the sound? The music was not even recorded with cables floating in the air. In fact, most of the music was recorded under rather dubious situations and circumstances soundwise.

Finally-at what point does "enhancing" and "purifying" turn to "corrupting" and "manufacturing"? I could see a device removing surface hiss or reduces sounds from the mechanisms inside the machine you are playing the music on, such as the drive motor of a turntable. But when you have machines that mess with the "imperfections" of the recording itself, you risk doctoring the actual sound of the recording.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"