Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prog Tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Okay, I'll be more patient. It's just a big deal for me and was hoping to garner some interesting discussion with like-minded people. IMO not every single bloody thread has to be fodder for aimless jokes, particularly when the original poster is clearly passionate about the topic at hand. I joke around a lot, but does it have to be so constant that it's almost the only thing you can post? Lately I've been seeing more and more of that here.
    Fine. I never got a tattoo for the sole-reason that I grew up in the era (and it still is) where - despite its claim at expressing "individualism" - getting tattoos are trendy. I hear the "Its my individualaity" excuse a lot but it still doesnt negate the fact that a good many people that have them within the last decade-and-a-half and they got them because a friend, family member, associate, or some peer group got one (or more) first. It is the "thing to do". Its the "Everybody is doing it now and I want one too" flavor.... There are others who get them to make them to look tougher or "edgier" - to give a sense of bad boy or bad girl or it makes them look less pasty white, either way which boils down to a trendy way to handle personal insecurities.......... In the USA, it is documented that almost 1/3 of the population has them

With that said, I feel that the very nature of Prog Music and "Trendy-ness" are a contradiction in terms, therefore I dont think a Prog Tattoo is a good idea.

Just my $.02..........Sorry to piss on your cheerios
    Last edited by klothos; 12-09-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Thing is, back in the day, people had to earn their tattoos. I mean, couple tours of 'Nam, then you ended up in the Philippines on leave and woke up with a couple of ladyboys, and a tattoo. Now kids go out and buy them, with money, like something at Target or Amazon. Not that I'm complaining, my wife has one.

Best "prog" one I saw was a guy that had Daevid Allen do one of his pixie creations. THAT was cool.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I remember past PE thread on this topic and there was a lot more people posting their tattos. Maybe the tone of the thread discouraged some.
    I think if this were metal ears or some kind of heavy metal site there would be tons more people posting their photos and experiences. The fact remains there are still stereotypes about the kind of people who get tattoos. Sure it's more mainstream now but I think there's always going to be a higher percentage of metal heads, bikers and other non comformist types who get tattoos. That's not prejudice or me being judgemental that's just reality. They aren't for everyone(self included). The same thing goes for piercings. I once had my left ear pierced(back in the late 90's) but it fell out in my sleep after a few years. These days some men get both ears pierced. That's just something I don't get but whatever to each their own.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think if this were metal ears or some kind of heavy metal site there would be tons more people posting their photos and experiences. The fact remains there are still stereotypes about the kind of people who get tattoos. Sure it's more mainstream now but I think there's always going to be a higher percentage of metal heads, bikers and other non comformist types who get tattoos.
    Before the 90s, yes

since the 1990s, you are waaaaaay off Theres probably just as many yuppie types with tats as bikers and stereotypical "rougher" types.....they may have them in more discreet places to be better concealed in their professional arenas, but that doesnt negate how much of a trend that it has become

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Fine. I never got a tattoo for the sole-reason that I grew up in the era (and it still is) where - despite its claim at expressing "individualism" - getting tattoos are trendy. I hear the "Its my individualaity" excuse a lot but it still doesnt negate the fact that a good many people that have them within the last decade-and-a-half and they got them because a friend, family member, associate, or some peer group got one (or more) first. It is the "thing to do". Its the "Everybody is doing it now and I want one too" flavor.... There are others who get them to make them to look tougher or "edgier" - to give a sense of bad boy or bad girl or it makes them look less pasty white, either way which boils down to a trendy way to handle personal insecurities..........
    Well for me it has zero to do with trends, as I've never followed a trend in my life. Look at music ... as a prog lover in high school in the late 80s/early 90s I was surely not following a trend (not a current one anyway!). Prog was about the 'un-hippest' it ever got around that time.

I got my first tattoo sixteen years ago (the "Godfather" puppet logo) and have really liked them ever since. I'll defer to the experts as to whether they were 'trendy' back then, but I simply like tattoo art. I've loved these albums and the artwork on them for over 25 years, so to put two and two together, a prog tattoo was in fact a good idea for me. As for all this talk of looking tougher and personal insecurities.... you lost me. Like I said already, wrong crowd here. I'll think twice about what threads I start in the future. A learning experience.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well for me it has zero to do with trends, as I've never followed a trend in my life. Look at music ... as a prog lover in high school in the late 80s/early 90s I was surely not following a trend (not a current one anyway!). Prog was about the 'un-hippest' it ever got around that time.

I got my first tattoo sixteen years ago (the "Godfather" puppet logo) and have really liked them ever since. I'll defer to the experts as to whether they were 'trendy' back then, but I simply like tattoo art. I've loved these albums and the artwork on them for over 25 years, so to put two and two together, a prog tattoo was in fact a good idea for me. As for all this talk of looking tougher and personal insecurities.... you lost me. Like I said already, wrong crowd here. I'll think twice about what threads I start in the future. A learning experience.

lol..

i post a joke response, you cop an attitude

then i post a real response, and you cop an attitude

Just remember: there's a difference between people giving you their honest response as opposed to you getting the responses you want to hear

best of luck with your ink endeavouir....

No, not trying to cop an attitude - not intentionally anyway! Mostly just explaining why, as a lover of both this music and tattoo art, it made perfect sense to me to get it, and how I don't feel I fall into the category of people you were describing. Anyway, it's all good. You're happy without tats, I'm happy with them.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I am sure it was on this site, that I remember a girl posting a photograph of herself in a red evening dress with a fox mask and the Nursery Cryme croquet figure tattooed on her back or shoulder. I found her quite attractive, actually.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

[since the 1990s, you are waaaaaay off ]

Agree to disagree then. Again I'm not saying only bikers etc get tattoos only that stereotypes still exist and that certain groups have higher a percentage of people with tattoos even now. Probably at least 95 percent of bikers have tattoos. Do you really think 95 percent of lawyers or bankers or doctors have tattoos?
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 12-09-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

No, not trying to cop an attitude - not intentionally anyway! Mostly just explaining why, as a lover of both this music and tattoo art, it made perfect sense to me to get it, and how I don't feel I fall into the category of people you were describing. Anyway, it's all good. You're happy without tats, I'm happy with them.
    hear hear, brutha mang

[since the 1990s, you are waaaaaay off ]

Agree to disagree then. Again I'm not saying only bikers etc get tattoos only that stereotypes still exist and that certain groups have higher a percentage of people with tattoos even now. Probably at least 95 percent of bikers have tattoos. Do you really think 95 percent of lawyers or bankers or doctors have tattoos?
    Hee Hee...I think you are living under a rock (j/k) Granted, I know that in the USA, it certainly varies from state to state: Ive been in the S.Carolina area several times over the course of the last few months ( real estate) and it does seem that there are less folks in S. Carolina with them then in Florida (where it seems almost everyone has them -- even some kids)...So, I'll certainly grant vernacular discrepencies, but - overall - I think you are living decades ago

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt #2 View Post
    Matt #2, you've got a nice ass!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-09-2014 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    In the USA, it is documented that almost 1/3 of the population has them.
    They also have horns.

Me, I cannot think of anything I would want permanently on my body out side of my actual body. But my youngest son has a host of tats: a forearm sleeve, a band on his other arm, 2 phoenix on his back facing each other, a sun/moon combo between the phoenix, a koi on his chest and 2 black cats on his ankle. My 38yo step-daughter has a band on her arm and a rose on her hip; my closest friend, a 62yo woman, has a rose on her hip. I know people who got them to honor lost spouses- those who died young. I do think they are really common- I teach grad students in healthcare, and I would estimate probably 30% of the guys and maybe 20% of the women have them, at least where they can be seen.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

My mother-in-law has one.

[)...So, I'll certainly grant vernacular discrepencies, but - overall - I think you are living decades ago]

And overall I think you are living in a little fantasy world where almost everyone has a tattoo. Take the tattoo poll about white collar professionals and see if the percentages compare to bikers and metal heads then get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My mother-in-law has one.
    Yeah, but she lives in that hippie enclave, Madison, WI. There are so many tattoo shops here in a city that has only 250,000 people that TLC could do a "Madison Ink" show.

And to think we're mainly perceived as an intellectual city???**

** with the exception of our Governor
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Suspended
    Like I said already, wrong crowd here. I'll think twice about what threads I start in the future. A learning experience.
    For heaven's sake. I didn't see anybody getting stuck into you at a personal level for wanting tattoos. Some of us have said they are not for us personally. We are allowed to say that I presume?

You make a post about tattoos, you should expect discussion on the merits and demerits of having them. Same as if I post how much I love "Invisible Touch" by Genesis, I expect to get some people chiming in and saying they are not fans.

[)...So, I'll certainly grant vernacular discrepencies, but - overall - I think you are living decades ago]

And overall I think you are living in a little fantasy world where almost everyone has a tattoo. Take the tattoo poll about white collar professionals and see if the percentages compare to bikers and metal heads then get back to me.
    I dont really give a crap either way

...on the other hand, 1985 phoned yesterday and wanted you back

Phil Collins ruined my epidermis!

You'd think they could at least get Phil's eyes straight.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

SATAN!!!!

"I want a tattoo of Phil Collins, and make sure he looks red and sweaty."

"I want a tattoo of Phil Collins, and make sure he looks red and sweaty."

I've considered getting my dental records tattooed on my back, in case I get murdered & my teeth & hands removed to prevent identification. It happens.