Thread: MPS Project: Cool Proggy/Fusion Discovery

MPS Project: Cool Proggy/Fusion Discovery

I had the pleasure of seeing this trio perform last night in Durham, NC:

http://thempsproject.com/

Killer playrers all around. I was struck by the notion of "what if Alan Gowen had founded Return To Forever instead of Chick Corea?" A silly thought, but a band I'd recommend to any fusion or instrumental Canterbury fans. From the band's web site:

The MPS Project is a group of professional musicians living in the Triangle region of North Carolina and dedicated to creating original, progressive Jazz. Our music explores the intersections of jazz, progressive rock, and 70's-style fusion in the tradition of Return to Forever and Weather Report. Informed by contemporary chamber music, collective free improvisation, and modern "jam-band" sensibilities, the MPS Project covers a wide swath of musical territory, ranging from heartfelt lyrical ballads to ethereal sonic textures to complex rhythmic structures to blistering electronic funk. Their debut CD, "Goes Without Saying," features six compositions by leader Michael Pelz-Sherman, two extended free improvisations, and a unique arrangement of Steve Swallow's jazz standard, "Falling Grace".

I'll have to check out samples this evening. Thanks.

A snippet from 12/13/12: