Thread: Grammy nominations

Grammy nominations

All of these, except Album of the Year, have been announced at http://www.grammy.com/nominees

In terms of prog and prog-adjacent, nice to see noms for Aphex Twin's Syro in the Best Dance/Electronic Album category. Mastodon's "High Road" is nominated in Best Metal Performance.

Kitaro's Symphony Live In Istanbul is in the Best New Age Album category. Best Improvised Jazz Solo nominees include Chick Corea ("Fingerprints") and Brad Mehldau ("Sleeping Giant"). The Chick Corea Trio also get a nomination for Trilogy for Best Jazz Instrumental Album.

The Grateful Dead's Spring 1990 (The Other One) is nominated for Best Boxed Or Special Limited Edition Package.

The Division Bell (20th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set) is nominated for Best Surround Sound Album.

Away from anything prog-related, I'm happy to see Sia's "Chandelier" get lots of nominations: good song, great video!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

There's a few good things in the Grammy noms, which is usually never kind to any kind of progressive, avant-garde or fringe music. Nevertheless, I have a list of several Echoes artists nominated across several categories. http://wp.me/p4ZE0X-4hb #Grammys

Grammys...

Suspended
    Is Kitaro still churning them out? He is talented, easy enough to listen to, but my impression has been that one Kitaro album is very much like another. Indeed, one Kitaro track is very much like another.

Interesting to see two Austtralian acts among the big-time nominees.

Album of the year has to be by U2.

Everpybody has it wether they like it or not.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Endless River isn't nominated?

What about Yes?

The snubbing that has most people’s panties in a twist is Lorde being shut out of Best New Artist. I agree that it’s a woeful oversight.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

What about Yes?
    The Endless River probably missed the cutoff date.

I'm not surprised that the Linda Perhacs album is not listed, but it bloody well should be.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Is Kitaro still churning them out? He is talented, easy enough to listen to, but my impression has been that one Kitaro album is very much like another. Indeed, one Kitaro track is very much like another.
    Good observation! You already mentioned the reason why he was nominated again!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What about Yes?
    Well, The Division Bell was nominated already. Besides, in my humble opinion, there is nothing great musically about The Endless River. Nice box set, good sound... Maybe enough for Grammy award, though....
    Which Yes? Oh, that tribute band with a parrot singer Sorry but I can't see what significant did they achieve this year to be nominated.

Interesting to see two Austtralian acts among the big-time nominees.
    Yup, Kitaro is the New Age version of Ozric Tentacles. They have a formula, and they stick to it while lightly changing from one album to the next. Fan of both but their like a long running soap opera, you can leave and come back later without missing much.

I lived in Australia for a bit and yes it's refreshing to see .

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The snubbing that has most people’s panties in a twist is Lorde being shut out of Best New Artist. I agree that it’s a woeful oversight.
    I'm wondering if I'm missing a joke, because Lorde won two Grammy's last year, which would not make her a new artist this year.

That's a bit unfair. A more than casual listening to the Kitaro oeuvre reveals quite a broad spread from the post-space music sounds of Astral Trip, to the Asia sweetness of Silk Road to the percussive fury of Kojiki to the more introspective spaces of The Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai series there is quite a range. Admittedly, Kitaro has his tropes he trots out and he can get sickeningly sweet but there is a lot of range there. I think when the market was flooded all at once with his Japanese albums in the 80s, there was some difficulty in differentiation, but heard insequence, his evolution is more evident.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    All of these, except Album of the Year, have been announced at http://www.grammy.com/nominees

In terms of prog and prog-adjacent, nice to see noms for Aphex Twin's Syro in the Best Dance/Electronic Album category. Mastodon's "High Road" is nominated in Best Metal Performance.
    I really haven't dug into much Mastodon these last two years, but the Aphex Twin album is awesome. One of their best in a long time.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I really haven't dug into much Mastodon these last two years, but the Aphex Twin album is awesome. One of their best in a long time.
    Well, there is only one Aphex Twin, Richard James, and it's his only album in a long time, 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Album of the year has to be by U2.

Everpybody has it wether they like it or not.
    Not in the running-

Album Of The Year:
    Morning Phase - Beck
    Beyoncé - Beyoncé
    X - Ed Sheeran
    In The Lonely Hour - Sam Smith
    Girl - Pharrell Williams
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973