Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Dave Kerzner "New World" Album Audio Preview

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Man am I loving this album (got the one- disc edition from Burning Shed).

WeatherWiseCDC
    I just have to say:

I finally had a chance to sit down with New World on a good sound system. In conclusion: I really appreciate this album. It is fantastic. I went back and listened to Dimensionaut as well, and my conclusion probably won't surprise too many people. New World is, in my opinion, a better album than Dimensionaut; it also sounds better from a sonic perspective. Songs like "Cosmic Distance Ladder" are difficult to listen to at a decent volume. Something about the compression on the SoC album and the congested sound it has is actually a little bit off-putting -- quite flat, noisy and too blended. That problem isn't quite there as much on New World, which is a great thing hopefully for Dave's projects going forward. It still is quite blended and mashed up, though. The music on New World is more nuanced and more varied; there's additionally more separation between instruments so that it doesn't feel as busy. I also think it's mixed better than Dimensionaut was... and "Stranded" sounds particularly good.

I think there's way more going on musically with New World. It's a lot of fun to listen to. Fun instrumentals dispersed throughout, great pacing, terrific songwriting. I really like the selections used for the standard CD too; everything on it is very strong material. I think the lyrics are stronger too. Some of the songs on Dimensionaut, in comparison, come across as cheesy because of particular lyrics, particularly on songs like "Remote View" and "Closer To You." I feel like New World's lyrics are more clever.

If there is one thing I wish could have been different about New World, I still think the instruments could have had more definition and clarity. I feel like New World is a step above Dimensionaut in that regard, though, and it seems like improvements on that front are being made. I am hopeful for future projects that you'll seek even greater definition.

You did a great job with this album, Dave.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-27-2015 at 07:04 AM.