Thread: Roger Waters - Music For the Body......

Roger Waters - Music For the Body......

Opinions......Sorry.....Had to Ask....

It's a fun album, I think.

Haven't listened to this in probably 15 years. Nothing like having farting and snoring noises coming unexpectedly into your headphones. Will have to try it again, but I thought it was the worst album in my collection.
    Last edited by Tangram; 12-21-2012 at 01:14 AM.

It's Music FROM 'the Body', this particular 'Body' being a surreally humouristic documentary on the various internal functions of exactly that. And it's credited equally to Waters and Ron Geesin, who composed a lot of music for jingles, radio and BBC documentaries and features. He was also deeply involved in the Atom Heart Mother project.

I think it's a nice album; some fine tunes by Roger, some wacky collages etc. I especially enjoy the farting and snoring.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 12-14-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

er...well, it's better than Zabriskie Point.

OK, that's damning with faint praise but I'm trying to be nice!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Gotta be in the right mood for it, but I'm generally a fan of the experimental stuff, or at the very least, the courage to attempt it.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

This strange but not unlikely solo album from Waters is just what you expect from that period of time from the Floyd crowd. Somewhere stuck between Ummagumma's studio album, the Soundtrack of More and Atom Heart Mother, this album is close to all three. And this album is much more than just an offshoot or anecdote; it is a bit of one more a cornerstone on which Floyd built its foundations to their superb later career.

Sound collages reminding you of Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast or Several Species, can only invite you to think of those albums, but the actual "pure songs" are more in the style of More. Collab Ron Geesin (heard in Atom Heart Mother) contributions are also very evident since he wrote the majority of the tracks, but this can be critically and artistically (and very happily) linked to the Pink Floyd universe. From the cello tracks to heavy electronically dominated ones, and the ones sung by Waters, be ready for a severely tripped journey inside your own body. Maybe one of those albums best listened to under psychotropic substances, but never sure to come back to the surface entirely either, there are times when this album is so brilliant that it should actually gets its fifth star (I gave it four in PA). But the album is not without flaws either, and the soul choirs in the closing track (this is a typical Waters trademark to be found often in future Floyd albums) is one such example.

But certainly not to be under-estimated are the contributions of Geesin and by listening to this album, one can easily understand what set apart Atom Heart Mother (and to a lesser extent Ummagumma which came before this album) from the rest of their discography. One hell of UFO, which every proghead must hear
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

More of a Geesin album than a Waters one. Basically sound fx pieces and the odd acoustic ditty (including the earliest version of "Breathe"). I've always liked this track, featuring the members of Floyd as uncredited session musicians.

^ Give birth to a smile is a gem for sure. Bought the vinyl during my Floyd buying spree circa mid 70's. Recently bought CD (was led to believe extra tracks are included but I honestly haven't taken the time to spin it yet!)

Love this album, and it made me search out all of Ron Geesin's available albums. I also picked up a "Making of Atom Heart Mother" DVD that features a lot of Geesin interview footage, which is a hoot.

The burping, farting, slapping, laughing track is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The burping, farting, slapping, laughing track is the best.
    Especially with headphones when I wasn't expecting it!