Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: You LOVE one solitary song by this artist

This is harder than I'd imagined, but:

BLUES IMAGE - Take Me To The Sunrise
    DSCHINN - Never, Never
    GREENSLADE - Little Red Fry Up
    LEE MICHAELS - Do You Know What I Mean ?
    THE OSMONDS - Mirror Mirror
    HAYSTACKS BALBOA - Bruce's Twist
    STEELY DAN - Aja

PiL: Albatross

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    If you mean the Peter Gabriel song Sledgehammer, that wasn't Claymation. Well, part of the video is clay animation, but Claymation specifically is the work of Will Vinton, who has been working in clay animation since the early 70's (his 1974 short film Closed Mondays was popular amongst film festivals in the 70's).

If I'm not mistaken, Bruce Bickford's Zappa related work came more in the late 70's or early 80's.

And the art of clay animation dates back to around 1908. Or at least that's what its says on Wikipedia, anyway:

Clay-animated films were produced in the United States as early as 1908, when Edison Manufacturing released a trick film entitled The Sculptor's Welsh Rarebit Dream. In 1916, clay animation became something of a fad, as an East Coast artist named Helena Smith Dayton and a West Coast animator named Willie Hopkins produced clay-animated films on a wide range of subjects. Hopkins in particular was quite prolific, producing over fifty clay-animated segments for the weekly Universal Screen Magazine. By the 1920s, cartoon animation using either cels or the slash system was firmly established as the dominant mode of animation production. Increasingly, three-dimensional forms such as clay were driven into relative obscurity as the cel method became the preferred method for the studio cartoon.

Nevertheless, in 1921, clay animation appeared in a film called "Modeling", an Out of the Inkwell film from the newly formed Fleischer Brothers studio. "Modeling" is one of the few known shorts using clay that was released during the 1920s. "Modeling" included animated clay in eight shots, a novel integration of the technique into an existing cartoon series and one of the rare uses of clay animation in a theatrical short from the 1920s.

Pioneering the clay-painting technique was one-time Vinton animator Joan Gratz, first in her Oscar-nominated film The Creation (1980), and then in her Oscar-winning Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase, filmed in 1992.

In 1972, at Marc Chinoy's Cineplast Films Studio in Munich, Germany, André Roche created a set of clay-animated German-language-instruction films (for non-German-speaking children) called Kli-Kla-Klawitter for the Second German TV-Channel; and another one for a traffic education series, Herr Daniel paßt auf ("Mr. Daniel Pays Attention").

A variation of clay animation was developed by another Vinton animator, Craig Bartlett, for his series of Arnold short films (also made in the late-1980s/early-1990s), in which he not only used clay painting but sometimes built up clay images that rose off the plane of the flat support platform toward the camera lens to give a more 3-D stop-motion look to his films.

Some of the best-known clay-animated works include the Gumby series of television show segments (created by Art Clokey), the The California Raisins advertising campaign by Will Vinton Productions studio and The WB's The PJs, produced by and featuring the voice of Eddie Murphy. Clay animation has also been used in Academy Award-winning short films such as "Closed Mondays" (Will Vinton and Bob Gardiner, 1974), "The Sand Castle" (1977), "Creature Comforts" (Aardman, 1989), and all four Wallace & Gromit short films, created by Nick Park of Aardman Animations. Aardman also created The Presentators, a series of one-minute clay-animation/CGI short films aired on Nickelodeon UK. Some clay animations appear online, on such sites as Newgrounds. In addition, many of the Rankin-Bass holiday specials were clay-animated."

Edit: checkign the Wiki page on Bruce Bickford, it seems he actually started working with Zappa in 74. OK, fine. But that's nearly 7 decades after the earliest clay animation films were produced.
    Come on, all that stuff's claymation.

Art Clokey caused me some nightmares back in the 60s!

Julio Eglesias - To All The Girls I've Loved Before

Hey, he got Willie Nelson to participate in this cheesy load of crap!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Julio Eglesias - To All The Girls I've Loved Before

Hey, he got Willie Nelson to participate in this cheesy load of crap!
    I actually have an album by Julio iglesias: "Emociones", from about 1979, recorded well before he got famous in the English speaking world. It's all in Spanish, of course, and most of the songs are much better than that one, or indeed, than any other I've heard him sing in English.

Its no surprise to me that Edgar Winter's Frankenstein gets repeated mentions in this thread.
    I loved it from first listen back in the 70s and seeing it performed on TOGWT was a delight.
    I never owned a copy though until many years later - I had a cover of it on a live Phish album and decided I must get a copy of the original.
    The only album I could find with it on locally was a greatest hits package so I bought that - but couldn't find anything else at all that I enjoyed on it.
    If there's a true Frankenstein follow up out there, please let me know...

I loved the theme tune to Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence which was by Ryuichi Sakamoto (had to check that one using Wikipedia!) but I haven't got a clue what else he's recorded - just one of those artists that I've never followed up on.

..and here's a real embarrassing one: Joe le Taxi by Venessa Paradis. I love the instrumental work (saxes and keys), melodies and the cha-cha rhythm - its a real earworm for me - totally outside my usual sphere of music appreciation. Call me blinkered but I can't for one minute imagine that there could be anything else in her repertoire that I could even be bothered to listen to. Cha-cha-cha...

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Its no surprise to me that Edgar Winter's Frankenstein gets repeated mentions in this thread.
    I loved it from first listen back in the 70s and seeing it performed on TOGWT was a delight.
    I never owned a copy though until many years later - I had a cover of it on a live Phish album and decided I must get a copy of the original.
    The only album I could find with it on locally was a greatest hits package so I bought that - but couldn't find anything else at all that I enjoyed on it.
    If there's a true Frankenstein follow up out there, please let me know...

I loved the theme tune to Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence which was by Ryuichi Sakamoto (had to check that one using Wikipedia!) but I haven't got a clue what else he's recorded - just one of those artists that I've never followed up on.

..and here's a real embarrassing one: Joe le Taxi by Venessa Paradis. I love the instrumental work (saxes and keys), melodies and the cha-cha rhythm - its a real earworm for me - totally outside my usual sphere of music appreciation. Call me blinkered but I can't for one minute imagine that there could be anything else in her repertoire that I could even be bothered to listen to. Cha-cha-cha...
    Really, I've heard many 70's E Winter album (including his White Trash stuff... ans outside Frankenstein, there is nothing I like... very different beast from his brother Johnny, where I like most of his music.... except when he's playing with lil'bro

As for Vanessa, it's difficult to like more than one tune from her, since she's slept with most of the songwriters of her different albums... therefore there is little continuity between her albums... I would've thought that I'd like better the Lenny Krevitz album rather than her previous two , but it ends up that I prefer some songs from her second album (written by Sege Gainsbourg) and a.o. Tandem
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'm not intentionally trying to make anyone's jaw go slack... but "Red Barchetta" is the only Rush song I love. There's a few others that I like.
    And you call yourself PROG!!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    You must be from the UK. Essex is an archetypal one-hit wonder here. If I’ve ever heard another song by him, I certainly don’t remember it.

he was the Artillery Man on Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    One for a Welshman. Or a thief.
    It's a derogatory term for a Welshman.

Someone else on another thread reminded me of this one:

It’s not that I dislike the rest of their output (it seems to be a big, gray area of mediocrity for the most part, that I’m mostly indifferent to), but nothing else they’ve done is outstanding. This song, on the other hand, is outstanding.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Steely Dan - My Old School
    Soul Survivors - Expressway to Your Heart
    Hall & Oates - She's Gone
    McCartney - This One
    Lennon - How Do You Sleep?
    Arthur Conley - Sweet Soul Music
    James Carr - Dark End of the Street
    Guess Who - Undun
    Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In the Sky
    Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Guess Who - Undun
    they had a shitload of other great tunes... you sure you heard some that you don't know are theirs?? (not speaking of American Woman, here)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    they had a shitload of other great tunes... you sure you heard some that you don't know are theirs?? (not speaking of American Woman, here)
    I heard all the hits. Meh...
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Norman Greenbaum-Spirit In The Sky

Suspended
    ^^ I don't think the intention of this thread was to mention one-hit wonders, of which Greenbaum is probably one, but rather acts of whom you have heard quite a few songs and dislike them all except one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    And you call yourself PROG!!
    No, I don't. I don't think anybody else calls me that either.

Never really liked Bruce Springsteen, until I heard his song American Skin (41 shots ) sung by Jackson Browne at the Tribute to Bruce

AMERICAN SKIN (41 SHOTS)
    Album version
    (41 shots)
    (41 shots)
    (41 shots)
    (41 shots)

41 shots, and we'll take that ride
    'Cross the bloody river to the other side
    41 shots, cut through the night
    You're kneeling over his body in the vestibule
    Praying for his life

Is it a gun, is it a knife
    Is it a wallet, this is your life
    It ain't no secret (it ain't no secret)
    No secret my friend
    You can get killed just for living in your American skin

(41 shots)
    (41 shots)
    (41 shots)
    (41 shots)

41 shots, Lena gets her son ready for school
    She says, "On these streets, Charles
    You've got to understand the rules
    If an officer stops you, promise me you'll always be polite
    And that you'll never ever run away
    Promise Mama you'll keep your hands in sight"

Is it a gun (is it a gun), is it a knife (is it a knife)
    Is it a wallet (is it a wallet), this is your life (this is your life)
    No secret my friend

(41 shots)
    (41 shots)
    (41 shots)
    (41 shots)

Is it in your heart (is it in your heart), is it in your eyes (is it in your eyes)

41 shots, and we'll take that ride
    'Cross this bloody river to the other side
    41 shots, I got my boots caked with this mud
    We're baptized in these waters (baptized in these waters)
    And in each other's blood (and in each other's blood)

Is it a wallet (is it a wallet), this is your life (this is your life)
    No secret my friend
    You can get killed just for living in
    You can get killed just for living in

41 shots
    41 shots
    41 shots
    41 shots

41 shots
    41 shots
    41 shots
    41 shots

41 shots (you can get killed just for living in)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page last updated: 19 May 2014
    Intro
    Music and lyrics by Bruce Springsteen, AMERICAN SKIN (41 SHOTS) is the third track on Springsteen's 2014 album High Hopes. The above lyrics are for Springsteen's studio version of AMERICAN SKIN (41 SHOTS) as released on High Hopes.

The song is a scathing comment on the New York City police fatal shooting (with 41 shots) of the unarmed Bronx resident Amadou Diallo in February 1999.

Background
    AMERICAN SKIN (41 SHOTS) was inspired from the incident that took place on 04 Feb 1999, when four white New York City plainclothes police officers (Richard Murphy, Kenneth Boss, Sean Carroll, and Edward McMellon) shot dead Amadou Diallo, a 22 year old black West African immigrant. The four men suspected Diallo to match the profile of a rapist that had committed crimes in the Bronx area then, and when he tried to pull out what they later found out to be his wallet (which they presumed to be a gun), they opened fire, 41 shots, 19 of which hit the target. The officers were later tried for murder, but were found innocent by the jury. The verdict was not welcomed by many groups which created an atmosphere of tension in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Genesis are certainly less heavy than Rush, but I find Genesis far more interesting.
    If Genesis is less heavy, it's only because they used guitar for more subtle textures; there wasn't a lot of "power chord" guitar in their stuff. But harmonically and melodically, Genesis was much heavier than Rush. Actually my favorite Rush moments are generally the ones where they've obviously been influenced by Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by willyswing View Post
    Norman Greenbaum-Spirit In The Sky
    Funny I don't know Norman Greenbaum's stuff except 'Spirit...' which I can take or leave, but once as a kid I heard a follow up song that I thought was really cool, but never heard it again. I should probably check around and see if I would still like it today.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Funny I don't know Norman Greenbaum's stuff except 'Spirit...' which I can take or leave, but once as a kid I heard a follow up song that I thought was really cool, but never heard it again. I should probably check around and see if I would still like it today.
    I heard two other follow-up songs, neither of which matched the huge success of Spirit: "Jubilee" and "Canned Ham"; they were in much the same style as Spirit, though I had to give him credit for originality - a song about ham?