Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: No such thing as Prog Pop

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [the sissy retard-prog/copyrock/ProgMag stuff.]

Not exactly the most mature way of describing music you don't like don't you think? My only point earlier was that symph prog tends to focus imo on melody and compositon where as with the more avant garde stuff it seems secondary to tension and musical eclecticism. I admit I am no expert and do not intend to generalize. You on the other hand are making huge generalizations about music that is not avant garde by referring to them as retarded.
    I assume that generalization includes EVERYTHING that Prog Mag has ever covered in its pages.

Suspended
    Blackfield are considered prog, and yet the sound is not much different from what most people think of as pop. Blackfield are not a million miles away from Coldplay.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How about Muse? Admit I've only heard a few songs.

Since when are genres mutually exclusive? I love genre hybrids! This is how we often get "new" genres in the first place - - -

Good point! Hear hear.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [the sissy retard-prog/copyrock/ProgMag stuff.]

Not exactly the most mature way of describing music you don't like don't you think? My only point earlier was that symph prog tends to focus imo on melody and compositon where as with the more avant garde stuff it seems secondary to tension and musical eclecticism. I admit I am no expert and do not intend to generalize. You on the other hand are making huge generalizations about music that is not avant garde by referring to them as retarded.
    No, that's just me parodying what I interpret as her (or even their) attitude towards it. This being said, I can tell you that "symph" prog does in no way focus more on composition than the various musical forms that are for equally varying reasons referred to as "avant-garde". You should remember that the one term refers to a specific genre of music, while the other is a general binge of countless approaches to a whole and wide array of different musical medias. As for the term "avant-prog", it is often applied as nothing but an overall category of that which seemingly - and on wholly subjective grounds - escapes the most popularized definitions of "prog" altogether. It can thus be fully or semi-improvised, partly written or extensively through-composed on a level I still haven't experienced during my decades as a keen enthusiast of other "progs" - and this is not a polemic in the "Battle of the progs"-discourse.

Poppy progressive rock music exists. "Prog" only exists to the degree by which there is a definition at hand. And there still isn't. Which is probably just as well.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 12-09-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM