Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Where's the love for The Ladder ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I thought with Igor and Billy in the band, there was a possibility of what Rick used to talk about; that Yes might morph into something that would outlive the original members. That got shot down rather quickly.
    Exactly what I thought at the time.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Exactly what I thought at the time.
    In one of the old Yes biographies Rick Wakeman said something like he could imagine a time in the distant future where there would be a YES. It seems to be happening with Van Halen and other bands so why not YES? Steve Howe's sons are musicians and I'm sure there could be other younger members in the band. It's not inconceivable to me that there could be a YES when we are all in nursing homes or dead and buried.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    In one of the old Yes biographies Rick Wakeman said something like he could imagine a time in the distant future where there would be a YES. It seems to be happening with Van Halen and other bands so why not YES? Steve Howe's sons are musicians and I'm sure there could be other younger members in the band. It's not inconceivable to me that there could be a YES when we are all in nursing homes or dead and buried.
    Since everyone these days seems to be communicating in txtspeak, they would probably rename the band "k".

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Since everyone these days seems to be communicating in txtspeak, they would probably rename the band "k".
    How about Kaye? If Alan White can have his own band why not Tony?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

¿Qué?

The Berlin Orchestra was founded in 1882. I may be going out on a limb and say that there are most likely no original members left. Sounds like a great idea to keep a band such as Yes going in the same way, but I don't know how the rights to the name would fit into the scheme of it all.

No Jon, no Berlin Orchestra
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    KTA Studio... bleah. Bland, half-assed try, just not even close. And KTA "live"? There wasn't anything "live" left on it!
    Magnification... pretty, but bland. John wouldn't let Steve "Yessize" it. It shows.
    Who did not let Steve to "Yessize" Heaven & Earth...?

I may the only person on this board that can say that I have truly enjoyed every Yes album released and every line up. I have my personal favorites of course, but there isn't any Yes album that I find to be totally crap. I think they all have something to recommend them. I have always been a supporter of OYE. I've always thought it was underrated. I think every album since then is underrated. The Ladder, Magnification, Fly From Here and Heaven & Earth I find to be all very good records. I try to take them one at a time not to spend too much time comparing them to what came before. That can be difficult to do. It's easy to think "Oh I like Howe's soloing better on Topographic or Downe's choice of voices on Drama better than what they do on Heaven & Earth". It's hard to not compare, but I do try to limit that and enjoy them for what they are.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I think The Ladder is awesome

Bruford Squire and Howe were really on fire with this although I can't help thinking Anderson had a bad cold that day

folks, i just revisited it after a long lay-off, even if only to put myself on trial whether fading memory has glorified things above their rightful due. it hasn't.

what an album. easily head and shoulders above everything else from YES’ iffy 1990s period, incl. the rather drab “magnification” and the much-lauded talk, the latter case mainly because of its much more organic sound. sometimes the right producer can provide the missing piece and bruce fairbairn certainly excelled itself here in what sadly proved to be his last ever work.

play it loud in the car as i did today. it is easily the most exuberant YES-album this side of “gfto” or the debut. the truth may remain shrouded but “the ladder” has a beautiful communal feel with everyone on top of their game yet with due restraint to contribute, serve and create. with so much positive energy conveyed by the music even jon anderson’s lyrics make sense – and what would otherwise be a slightly corny love ballad in “if only you knew” (yes, blasted that one at 11, too) gains urgency and extra sincerity with the faultless musical accompaniment. honourary mention to “nine voices” because it is necessary to do so.

steve howe is all over this album, but never in an overbearing way. what a joy to hear. it is no “CttE” because it does not need to be – but it is the album that manages to conciliate troopers and generators. it's a special album and – in YES’s universe – the very last one of its kind. embrace it.

that is all.

On the roof?

ask greg!

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post

steve howe is all over this album, but never in an overbearing way. what a joy to hear.
    If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), then my respect for Late Howe's Yes (The Union on) has gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I may the only person on this board that can say that I have truly enjoyed every Yes album released and every line up. I have my personal favorites of course, but there isn't any Yes album that I find to be totally crap. I think they all have something to recommend them. I have always been a supporter of OYE. I've always thought it was underrated. I think every album since then is underrated. The Ladder, Magnification, Fly From Here and Heaven & Earth I find to be all very good records. I try to take them one at a time not to spend too much time comparing them to what came before. That can be difficult to do. It's easy to think "Oh I like Howe's soloing better on Topographic or Downe's choice of voices on Drama better than what they do on Heaven & Earth". It's hard to not compare, but I do try to limit that and enjoy them for what they are.

Bill
    Right there with you -- except for Open Your Eyes. (Disclaimer -- I still haven't heard the most recent one yet.)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Shilly Berwood

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Only three Yes albums I would say that I outright dislike:

Union
    Open Your Eyes
    Heaven & Earth

I've always enjoyed Union probably more than I should. I'd much rather listen to Union than to OYE or H&E.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I've always enjoyed Union probably more than I should...
    Hopefully now you'll see, just how wrong you were to enjoy that album at all!

I've always enjoyed Union probably more than I should. I'd much rather listen to Union than to OYE or H&E.

anything with sherwood on it sucked-- he's third rate---there are 2 good songs on The Ladder---OYE is not Yes---the only good 90's Yes was the great Mind Drive and That that is----just listened to Mind Drive today---very good stuff---a little wordy but that's Anderson for you----Mag not bad pretty good---great Yes has too have 5 great (that means first rate not 2nd or 3rd) musicians in it playing the hell out of their instruments or what's the point? Mediocre musicians created who gives a crap Yes music.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    folks, i just revisited it after a long lay-off, even if only to put myself on trial whether fading memory has glorified things above their rightful due. it hasn't.

what an album. easily head and shoulders above everything else from YES’ iffy 1990s period, incl. the rather drab “magnification” and the much-lauded talk, the latter case mainly because of its much more organic sound. sometimes the right producer can provide the missing piece and bruce fairbairn certainly excelled itself here in what sadly proved to be his last ever work.

play it loud in the car as i did today. it is easily the most exuberant YES-album this side of “gfto” or the debut. the truth may remain shrouded but “the ladder” has a beautiful communal feel with everyone on top of their game yet with due restraint to contribute, serve and create. with so much positive energy conveyed by the music even jon anderson’s lyrics make sense – and what would otherwise be a slightly corny love ballad in “if only you knew” (yes, blasted that one at 11, too) gains urgency and extra sincerity with the faultless musical accompaniment. honourary mention to “nine voices” because it is necessary to do so.

steve howe is all over this album, but never in an overbearing way. what a joy to hear. it is no “CttE” because it does not need to be – but it is the album that manages to conciliate troopers and generators. it's a special album and – in YES’s universe – the very last one of its kind. embrace it.

that is all.
    I did the same as you, but with intention to verify if I still dislike as much as in the past. Well, I dislike it a lot more. Couldn't even finish the last two songs. The Ladder, Union and OYE are the only Yes records I would not listen ever again. That does not mean that you are wrong or I'm right.

I always wondered why they stopped playing "New Languages" live after only a couple tries. I have a cd of that song performed live, and it sounds great imo.

Same here. However, I haven't heard H&E yet(except for maybe a track here or there) so I can't judge it but based on what I have heard I don't see how it could be that horrible. Union is a very controversial album and I get the feeling most fans dislike it more because of the way it was put together and the politics of it than the actual music. I think there are some really strong tracks on there and over all I think it's a lot better than OYE which wasn't the worst thing ever recorded in the history of man either imo.