Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Who to re-record Quadrophenia with an Orchestra!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Quick, while Pete is distracted, someone sneak the original tapes away from Jon Astley and give them a proper remaster.
    There actually are recently mastered versions of the catalog including original mixes that reportedly sound quite good. Unfortunately physical copies are only available in Japan. I only have Who's Missing and Two's Missing from that series so far. In the last few weeks they have been made available on iTunes though. I haven't checked them out yet, but the crown jewel is apparently a fresh mix of Leeds Deluxe without the 90s era overdubs and with the complete show in its original running order. No physical release at all anywhere, but that one is on HD Tracks too.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

The whole catalogue to me is in a mess unparalleled in rock- remixes, wrong versions, songs left off. For instance, the 1966 version of 'Circles' and 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' were not released on any of their remasters and there's other songs only on those two 'Missing' albums. I understand the Japanese ones you mention have tried to clear it up, but they've always been too expensive. IMHO they need to start again and do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    This is just a bad idea. Quadrophenia is a perfect record.
    Nothing to add to this, but it's worth repeating.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Wondering where Metman stands on this

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

The single most overrated band in the history of rock music.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The single most overrated band in the history of rock music.
    I wouldn't say that about the band, but I would about Daltrey.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    DOCTOR JIMMY AND MR JIM
    WHEN I'M PILLED I DONT NOTICE HIM
    HE ONLY COMES OUT WHEN I DRINK MY GIN

piccolo solo
    OK, I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Not sure if I completely agree with this as in it's day (1975), Orchestral Tubular Bells was rather unique. Given that he didn't tour at that time either, it was a chance to hear the work live, and with David Bedfords orchestration.
    I think the OP was referring to the endless variations of TB rather than adapting it orchestrally.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I think the OP was referring to the endless variations of TB rather than adapting it orchestrally.
    I thought that too, but vis-a-vis the topic of this thread...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Wondering where Metman stands on this

BG
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Yesterday was the 35th anniversary of the Cincinnati stampede tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yesterday was the 35th anniversary of the Cincinnati stampede tragedy.
    Thirty-five years????

Jesus, I'm old.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Thirty-five years????

Jesus, I'm old.
    And Moon's been dead 4 years longer than he was alive.

When Quadrophenia was released in 1973, Daltrey was a mere 29 years old, with a voice like thunder.

He is now 70 years old, and simply incapable of belting it out in the way he did. Why would we expect him to? Why do we think that our heroes can carry on as they did forever?

I have no issue with Townsend reimagining this in a classical fashion, and for a new generation. He wrote the thing, after all.

I'm hoping that they follow this up with Tommy rearranged for mariachi band.

Btw I saw Roger last year and he sang his ass off. A hell of a lot better than 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And Moon's been dead 4 years longer than he was alive.
    Yep, time is flying by. Wanna REALLY feel old? A year and one week from now, Sean Lennon will have out-lived his dad.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Don't mess with perfection!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yep, time is flying by. Wanna REALLY feel old? A year and one week from now, Sean Lennon will have out-lived his dad.
    Oh that is messed up!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    And FZ kicked 21 years ago today.

I thought the Quadrophenia Live in London release from earlier this year was quite impressive, but I must admit, this one is a bit of a head scratcher. I don't get why Daltrey isn't singing on it. That's where I lose the plot. If Townshend wants to record it with an orchestra, that's fine. Might even be good, but for the love of money, please don't let some classical guy sing this.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

After reading a bit more about this, I think it's sort of a Townshend side project with Rachel Fuller. I don't think this will be billed as proper Who release. More like what happened with Tommy back in the day. Townshend just wants to have his hand in it, I think.

I had hoped that there would be a new Who album as alluded to by Daltrey, and to some degree by Townshend, on several occasions but I guess that isn't happening since they've already started there tour.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Quick, while Pete is distracted, someone sneak the original tapes away from Jon Astley and give them a proper remaster.
    Man, I'd love to have an opportunity to slap Astley in the face for what he did on those mid 90's remasters. Another reason why you should never hire your brother-in-law to do anything.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I guess we shouldn't be too surprised coming from Pete, creator of the all-time hardest to unload CD: The Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I thought the Quadrophenia Live in London release from earlier this year was quite impressive, but I must admit, this one is a bit of a head scratcher. I don't get why Daltrey isn't singing on it. That's where I lose the plot. If Townshend wants to record it with an orchestra, that's fine. Might even be good, but for the love of money, please don't let some classical guy sing this.

Bill
    What would work best is if they get a different singer to sing each song. Yeah, that's the ticket!

This just in: the band is changing its name to: The Wtf