Thread: Page dosen't dismiss modern formulaic music

Page dosen't dismiss modern formulaic music

Following the 'Gilmour dismisses modern formulaic music' thread one old rocker is into at least one new very successful band!!!!

I'm curious to know what 'succesful' modern bands i.e. those that have had a top 20 album in the past twelve months & tour decent sized venues that people here on PE are into?

Personally I'm into the following:

Future Islands
    Twin Atlantic
    Rival Sons

Led Zep hero says two-piece have taken rock "up a few notches"
    Jimmy Page has praised Royal Blood for taking the rock genre "up a few notches."

The Led Zeppelin guitarist is a fan of the English two-piece and says he was blown away by their energy when he saw them perform in New York earlier this year.

Page tells the NME: "I went to hear them in New York. They were fantastic. Absolutely riveting. They're such fine musicians. It's music of tremendous quality.

"However long the set was, I could have heard twice as much. Their album has taken the genre up a serious few notches. It's so refreshing to hear, because they play with the spirit of the things that have preceded them, but you can hear they're going to take rock into a new realm – if they're not already doing that."

Royal Blood – singer/bassist Mike Kerr and drummer Ben Thatcher – released their self-titled debut album in August.
    Last edited by Rufus; 12-01-2014 at 03:27 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Pink Floyd

I don't understand the hype for Royal Blood. But then I don't really get other guitar/drum combos (like Drenge) either. They're noisy but the sound is very thin, & the melodic exploration is either virtually non-existent or old-hat. Having said that, some friends regard me as having ears of tin, so what do I know?

Good new (ish) bands that are growing in popularity in the U.K. include The Fossil Collective who play a sort of dreamy, pastoral pop; Lanterns on the Lake who lull the listener into a false sense of security with soft, georgeous melodies before puncturing the mood with bursts of jagged guitar; and London Grammar who've been something of a phenomenon with their modern take on Portihead or Massive Attack.

They're all excellent live too.

Not heard Future Islands or Twin Atlantic. Looking forward to giving them a listen.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I'm curious to know what 'succesful' modern bands i.e. those that have had a top 20 album in the past twelve months & tour decent sized venues that people here on PE are into?
    I couldn't say, because I pay zero attention to sales charts.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Good new (ish) bands that are growing in popularity in the U.K. include The Fossil Collective who play a sort of dreamy, pastoral pop; Lanterns on the Lake who lull the listener into a false sense of security with soft, georgeous melodies before puncturing the mood with bursts of jagged guitar; and London Grammar who've been something of a phenomenon with their modern take on Portihead or Massive Attack.
    They're all excellent live too.

Not heard Future Islands or Twin Atlantic. Looking forward to giving them a listen.
    ^^^I need to explore at least Lanterns on the Lake

Following the 'Gilmour dismisses modern formulaic music' thread one old rocker is into at least one new very successful band!!!!

I'm curious to know what 'succesful' modern bands i.e. those that have had a top 20 album in the past twelve months & tour decent sized venues that people here on PE are into?[/I]
    I'm going to ignore the "top 20 in the last 12 months" caveat for the albums, because 1) bands frequently take several years to release new albums and it doesn't seem to make sense to rule out a band simply because they didn't have a new album in the last 12 months, and 2) and a lot of popular but non super-star bands might get some/most albums above the top 20, but not necessarily all.

But, these bands are all active, formed in the last 20 years and sell records when they get around to releasing them:

Mastodon, Wilco, Queens of the Stone Age, My Morning Jacket, TV on the Radio, Grizzly Bear... There's probably a couple of others.

OK, I checked out Lanterns on the Lake. I'm impressed.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    OK, I checked out Lanterns on the Lake. I'm impressed.
    Really glad you liked them. I have a random gig of the month night, picking bands I've never heard of, usually on the basis of being intrigued by their names. Stops me from being in a rut musically (that's the idea anyway). Lanterns On The Lake are one of the best "random" bands I've caught. If you ever get a chance, give 'em a whirl.

Personally I'm into the following:

Future Islands
    Twin Atlantic
    Rival Sons

Led Zep hero says two-piece have taken rock "up a few notches"
    Jimmy Page has praised Royal Blood for taking the rock genre "up a few notches."

The Led Zeppelin guitarist is a fan of the English two-piece and says he was blown away by their energy when he saw them perform in New York earlier this year.

Page tells the NME: "I went to hear them in New York. They were fantastic. Absolutely riveting. They're such fine musicians. It's music of tremendous quality.

"However long the set was, I could have heard twice as much. Their album has taken the genre up a serious few notches. It's so refreshing to hear, because they play with the spirit of the things that have preceded them, but you can hear they're going to take rock into a new realm – if they're not already doing that."

Royal Blood – singer/bassist Mike Kerr and drummer Ben Thatcher – released their self-titled debut album in August.

Rival sons' new album has just been named record of the year by Classic Rock magazine.

Royal Blood are too similar to The White Stripes for me, just not as memorable tunes.