Thread: AAJ Review: The Brecker Bros, The Complete Arista Albums Collection

AAJ Review: The Brecker Bros, The Complete Arista Albums Collection

My review of The Brecker Bros.': The Complete Arista Albums Collection, today at All About Jazz.

Collection all six of The Brecker Brothers albums from 1975-81, from The Brecker Bros. to Straphangin', this 8-CD box also includes two albums, while not exactly Brecker Bros records - 1979's Blue Montreux and Blue Montreux II - seeing American release for the first time and featuring, in addition to Randy and Michael Brecker, guitarist Steve Khan, pianist Warren Bernhardt, bassist/stick player Tony Levin (back when he was a jazz bassist), drummer Steve Khan and vibraphonist Mike Mainiere (who originated the idea for this group, called The Arista All Stars), with guitarist Larry Coryell guesting on two tracks and bassist Eddie Gomez on one.

For an uptown funk alternative to the fusion of the day, The Brecker Bros.': The Complete Arista Albums Collection is a monster collection of killer grooves, monster playing and fantastic charts that, while filled with virtuosity at every turn, somehow largely manages to avoid the utter excesses of the fusion movement (though 1978's Heavy Metal Bebop comes close).

Review here.

I have the original album classics set.

The debut album was great and quite a groundbreaking album! Who else was doing polytonal funk back then (or even now, for that matter)?! "Back to Back" was a dip in quality. The half live "Heavy Metal Bebop" was really good and so was "Straphangin'." I like about half of "The Return of the Brecker Brothers" and "Out of the Loop." But to tell the truth, I prefer Michael Brecker's more straight ahead solo albums a bit more. Anyway, I have most of the BB albums (and the first Blue Montreux) and don't need the box set, but I'm glad it's being released. Mostly great stuff that I can highly recommend!

BTW, I saw the original BB Band in the '70s when David Sanborn was in the band. One of my more memorable concerts!

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    I have the original album classics set.
    Yes, but that had only five of hte Brecker Bros' six Arista Albums - it's missing Detente, as I recall. also, add those two blue montreux albums and my suggestion is: if you love the breckers, trade or sell your OAC box and pick this up; you won't be disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    if you love the breckers
    Not seeing too much love here, since only two of us responded. That's unfortunate, since not only were The Breckers world class musicians, but they were one of the truly progressive bands to come out of the '70s. Maybe it's because they had more to do with jazz and funk than rock, or maybe it's that it was a horn-led band; I dunno. But it's times like these that I feel at odds with the majority of people's tastes here.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I like 'em, not love 'em.
    I don't listen to much Jazz/ fusion et.al. anymore but this set seems like a great one.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

so the originals have "detente" on it but the arista complete doesn't. LOL . I do know the blue montreux stuff is supposed to be very good.

No, the Arista has detente...I thought that one wasn't in the OAC...maybe it's back to back?
    Anyway, OAC has five of the breckers' six albums released between 1975-1981. OAC is the one missing a title, sorry for confusion, but on road without box in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Not seeing too much love here, since only two of us responded. That's unfortunate, since not only were The Breckers world class musicians, but they were one of the truly progressive bands to come out of the '70s. Maybe it's because they had more to do with jazz and funk than rock, or maybe it's that it was a horn-led band; I dunno. But it's times like these that I feel at odds with the majority of people's tastes here.
    Agree, and whie there may not seem to be much love here, the review has been read nearly 3800 times since published just a couple days back, and am getting a lot of positive feedback from other sources, so there are still folks who love em, that's for sure, just maybe not here.

Count me among the lovers! I never owned any of these sides (except HMBB on casette!), only heard them all thanks to friends back in the day. My box arrives on Tuesday, thanks in equal measures to JK's excellent and detailed review, the very reasonable price of the set, and the inclusion of the Blue Montreux material. Can't wait to hear how TLev hooks up with Steve Jordan, Warren Bernhardt and Steve Khan - what a rhythm section!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Jazz Fusion is alive and well! At least in my home LOL
    Just ordered this box. I have the Japanese Mini LP releases on Arista BMG Japan. I wonder if the mastering is the same. Anybody know?
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

i agree that the michael brecker solo stuff works better for me overall. he comes up with some sweet tunes and has killer support on them. while the straight stuff seems more timeless the fusiony stuff seems stuck in a time warp or era.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    i agree that the michael brecker solo stuff works better for me overall. he comes up with some sweet tunes and has killer support on them. while the straight stuff seems more timeless the fusiony stuff seems stuck in a time warp or era.
    That's the thing! I heard about this box a few months ago, but after listening to several tracks on YouTube, the recordings sound awfully dated. For something similar with a modern production, I recommend the Soul/Bop Band w/ Randy Brecker, Bill Evans, Steve Smith, Hiram Bullock, David Kikoski. There's a double live CD that really kicks butt.