Thread: Question About CD Rot/Bronzing

Question About CD Rot/Bronzing

http://www.amazon.com/Potter-Symphon...ipriani+potter

This is one of my favorite CD's (and the only CD release that I'm aware for Cipriana Potter). I know many Unicorn Kanchana releases are subject to CD Rot/bronzing. The copy I have may be slightly bronzed on top, but the playing side is perfectly silver. Thus far the last track has horrible problems on my portable CD player, my computer and my blu-ray player. However, the last track played perfectly in my car CD player.

Given that the disc plays fine in my car, do I just need to keep trying ripping the disc on various computers in the hopes of getting a clean copy? If I were to get a clean copy ripped, would that copy somehow be more prone to future bronzing, or is the bronzing specifically in the materials used for the original CD?

Any chance someone here has a non-bronzed disc they'd burn a copy for me?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Potter-Symphon...ipriani+potter

This is one of my favorite CD's (and the only CD release that I'm aware for Cipriana Potter). I know many Unicorn Kanchana releases are subject to CD Rot/bronzing. The copy I have may be slightly bronzed on top, but the playing side is perfectly silver. Thus far the last track has horrible problems on my portable CD player, my computer and my blu-ray player. However, the last track played perfectly in my car CD player.

Given that the disc plays fine in my car, do I just need to keep trying ripping the disc on various computers in the hopes of getting a clean copy? If I were to get a clean copy ripped, would that copy somehow be more prone to future bronzing, or is the bronzing specifically in the materials used for the original CD?

Any chance someone here has a non-bronzed disc they'd burn a copy for me?

Peter
    If you can rip the copy of the album you have successfully to a cdr, that should resolve things, as you'
    Lmhave a clean copy that won't bronze.

There was a period of time where certain Island Records CDs were prone to bronzing; my copy of Fairport Convention Nine and John Martyn Solid Air both began to bronze. I'd read that if you sent them back to Idland they would replace them gratis, but by the time mine started to discolour I figured it was much too late. In any case, newer editions had been released, in the case of Nine - as was the case with mist of Fairport's classic era stuff - in expanded editions; ditto the deluxe 2-disc editions of some of Martyn's albums, which I bougnt and none of those have bronzed either.

So I figure Island resolved the problem...of course, then I bought the 18-disc Martyn box last year so am now doubly covered ...having not gotten rid of the deluxe editios because the added material in the box was not the same, which was nice bwcause those pathological fans who'd bought the deluxe editions were not dpuble dipped... instead, you got a bunch of new bonus material...which, for Martyn geeks like me, was like the proverbial manna from heaven....

But if you make a copy of a bronzing CD successfully, and it plays fine - and you may find it plays fine on all your devices, too- then you should be ok.

In the old site we had a long discussion on this problem, where I posted a comprehensive catalogue of releases susceptible to bronzing. The Gnosis site, also uploaded it. The bronzed CDs were UK's PDO pressings (so not only Island titles but everything they pressed around 1991-1993 like Dovetail, World Serpent ets labels) and also the Italian Optimes pressings (almost all Fonit Cetra). They used to have a link where you could ask for replacement disks, and they repressed the faulty CD for you. Sadly these links are dead by now, as almost 18 years passed since the day they aknowledged the problem.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

What software are you using? Use EAC, and look at the options, and make sure you set the one that says "try until you die" (paraphrasing). I've only had that fail on two disks.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    CD rot is a function of the music that's on a respective CD.

Keep in mind that the playing side of a bronzed CD will always remain silver, so don't be lulled into a false sense of security by that. Only the label side will ever display the bronzing effect. And as spacefreak says, it's not label based, it's manufacturer based. The culprits were UK PDO (not PDOs from any other country) and OPTI.ME.S in Italy. This was the result of a flawed manufacturing process which eventually got corrected at both plants, so CDs pressed outside of the time frame of roughly '89 to '93 won't be affected. For several years, UK PDO would replace faulty discs, but a few years back they got sold to a different company who then refused to acknowledge any responsibility for this issue. And OPTI.ME.S. never did.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Rip it to your computer, trying different drives if you have that option. If you can't get that last track see if you can download it anywhere.

Once you burn a new copy the bronzing is over. It's strictly a media problem.

(But don't store CDs in the sunlight!)

I had success ripping the files on my work computer! This is the second time I've bought this CD. The first time the bronzing wasn't very bad - just affected the last 30 seconds of the disc...but that was on everything I tried to play/rip it on. This one sounded awful for at least the last ten minutes on all my home equipment, so I really did not have much hope. --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    CD rot is a function of the music that's on a respective CD.
    I think I just got this!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm going to use this thread for a different tech question so as not to start another thread.

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HDX, but wanted to know: with one of these, can you run something like BitTorrent on this, or are you still limited to only running "apps.?" Could you download, say, MP3s onto it from a web based news server?
    And do they have USB jacks so you can connect an iPod or iPhone and get files off of it?

Yes, yes and yes. These tablets allow you to go to www urls just like any computer. The Kindles include a USB port I believe although iPads do not.

Only thing I'm not sure is if the file formats are the same. Might not be.