Thread: FEATURED CD - Derek Sherinian : Planet X

FEATURED CD - Derek Sherinian : Planet X

Per Allmusic:
    Dream Theater and ex-Alice Cooper keyboardist Derek Sherinian grabs the spotlight with Planet X, leading his own band through a set of instrumentals, mostly co-written with drummer Virgil Donati. The album is more prog rock than progressive metal, although the compositional influence of Steve Vai pop up here and there, along with King Crimson and other progressive luminaries given to complex, shifting time signatures. Sherinian has chops to burn, but he plays tastefully and creates textures just as well as he solos; guitarist Brett Garsed and bassist Tony Franklin also turn in fine performances.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/planet-x-mw0000246627

Regards,

Duncan

One of his best IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I prefer his work with Planet X, with a lot more input from Virgil Donati. On Sherinian's solo works the ones with Simon Philips are best and individual numbers involving Steve Lukather.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I thought this was a Prince CD.

I thought this album was a rather nice way to say "hey everybody, Falling Into Infinity was totally not my fault".

falling into infinity was pretty good, compared to recent efforts. Millenium, Peruvian, Hells Kitchen, Lines, Trial... nearly all of it. Awesome rocking album. I play it all the time, on par with Awake and Scenes. Sherinians tones are better than Rudess, as far as I'm concerned. More guitarlike... Sometimes Rudess picks up thos cheezy ones, where does he get them from?

I loved that Sherinian's next move after being replaced in DT was to go find the baddest ass drummer on earth to make a great record with. I also love how he thanks his teachers, the late great T Lavitz among them.....

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I loved that Sherinian's next move after being replaced in DT was to go find the baddest ass drummer on earth to make a great record with. I also love how he thanks his teachers, the late great T Lavitz among them.....
    Yeah, it's been a little over four years since T left us. Saw Derek with the Dregs in '94 on the Full Circle tour. I think there was a urgent need to find a keyboard player at the time. He was a good replacement if that is an appropriate term. Sorry I cannot comment on the album since I have not listened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Yeah, it's been a little over four years since T left us. Saw Derek with the Dregs in '94 on the Full Circle tour. I think there was a urgent need to find a keyboard player at the time. He was a good replacement if that is an appropriate term. Sorry I cannot comment on the album since I have not listened to it.
    Actually, I first saw Jordan Rudess playing with The Dregs on that same tour - did Sherinian do some dates with them as well?

Can't believe Virgil's drumming doesn't get highlighted in the review. I was at the gig they recorded for the live album. That one featured Dave LaRue which was a thrill. They did Apocalypse whatever it's called 2 times because they weren't happy with the first take!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I thought this was a Prince CD.

Is there a remote possibility you'll be attracted by an album with such a cover?
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Actually, I first saw Jordan Rudess playing with The Dregs on that same tour - did Sherinian do some dates with them as well?
    No, you are correct. I mixed the two up. My bad...

His first couple of CD's are just fine, then later he invited a lot of other musicians and his records were full of loud and uninteresting guitars. Oceana, on the other hand, was OK sound wise, but can't say it was very interesting.
    He should do more work like on Planet X and Relocator.

I love this cd, when first hearing it, I couldn't help noticing how similar the music was to some of the more fusiony UK material, It bummed me out that UK was such a short lived band, and nobody seemed to capture their vibe, but this one does it nicely.

I love his fusion work after he left Dream Theater. I wasn't much of a fan (especially live) when he was in that band but have softened on that stance a bit.