Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NewEARS Art Rock Festival in Massachusetts

NewEARS Art Rock Festival in Massachusetts

Cool! 5 bands on Saturday Jan. 17. I'll buy an all-day pass and hope that I don't have to work.

From newears.org:

Frogg Cafe is a 5 piece band from the New York metropolitan area making music that incorporates elements of Zappa-esque progressive rock, pop melodicism and fusion jazz. Frogg Cafe's music is also peppered with an appealing variety of other flavors including latin music, bluegrass, modern chamber music and avant-garde/experimental. Energetic live shows feature extended flights of group improvisation that would draw grins from any hardcore jam-band fan. FroggCafe.com

Eccentric Orbit is a Massachusetts-based Progressive Rock band with drums, bass, keys, wind-synth, electric violin, guitar synth, and electric mandolin. Our original material is all instrumental with a heavy focus on '70s keyboard sounds. Influences include classic Prog bands like Emerson, Lake & Palmer and King Crimson, as well as the sounds of classic sci-fi films. EOband.com

Alek Darson discovered passion for music in his hometown of Belgrade, Serbia when he picked up his mom's old nylon string guitar at age of 10. He's always been drawn to aggressive, melodic, and emotional music and now moves easily between the roles of virtuoso guitarist and producer. His current focus is on creating fresh guitar-driven music for his new release, and finding innovative ways to contribute to other progressive rock/metal/fusion projects as a guitarist, arranger, or producer. AlekDarson.com

Formed in the Fall of 2012, Zombie Frogs is an Instrumental Progressive Metal Band based out of the Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA. The group is heavily influenced by prog giants such as Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, and Scale The Summit, but at the same time possesses its own unique sound and style. Their music fuses progressive roots with melodic technicality and poly-metric insanity. ZombieFrogs.bandcamp.com

This is a band formed around evolution. I was bored of hearing the same old guitar sounds, so I sought to create new ones. I got tired of waiting for the perfect drummer to come along, so I tried to re-imagine what a drummer can be. We can perform as a five-piece or as an uncompromising duo. This is a band born out of hard work, help from some good friends, and the need to build something bold and visceral. This is where passion and technology meet. This is Big Time Kill. BigTimeKill.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm in for this.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that its at the Regent Theater in Arlington, Mass.

http://newears.org/

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    The Day of Prog earlier this year at the Regent was a blast, but mid-January weather 'round these parts always concerns me when making concert plans (I'm about 100 miles west of Doug and Ian)
    Last edited by rickawakeman; 11-25-2014 at 07:09 PM.

We're really looking forward to playing this gig. We have a ton of work to do to get ready, but it's coming together. My goal is to get our gear loaded out in time to see Frogg Cafe's set, one of my favorites and it's been too long since I've seen them. Great line up of bands, and a great venue. I hope all NE Prog fans will be able to make it.

Bill

This would be great to go to, but I don't think there's anyway I could make it. Could you move the festival down to the Philly area please?

Another very good lineup. Would really like to see this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Can't wait for the gig! Bill, it's going to be great to hang with you guys again, it's been too long. And EO live baby!
    -Suss

Great! I'll be there!
    BTW, I heard Elephants of Scotland planned to be there as well. Or it was my misunderstanding?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    The Day of Prog earlier this year at the Regent was a blast, but mid-January weather 'round these parts always concerns me when making concert plans (I'm about 100 miles west of Doug and Ian)
    That's why I've just put winter tires on my car, so I don't care much about New England weather now

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    This would be great to go to, but I don't think there's anyway I could make it. Could you move the festival down to the Philly area please?
    No car? I drive up to NE all the time.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

We'll be there.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    No car? I drive up to NE all the time.
    It's hard for me to get away from the area with work and other obligations.

You guys won't be sorry you made the trip! The Froggs just added a second keyboard to the mix and Suss got a new pedal. As always, we will come equipped with 2-3 coolers.

It's hard for me to get away from the area with work and other obligations.
    Oh ok. Well I suppose it's different from me since I am single and don't have a normal job.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Got my ticket. I've seen Frogg Cafe and Eccentric Orbit before and know they will deliver the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Got my ticket. I've seen Frogg Cafe and Eccentric Orbit before and know they will deliver the goods.
    I saw Frogg Café at NEARfest and they were great. Much as I'd love to see them again, I would really love to see Eccentric Orbit more.I may have to see if I can find a way to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Suss View Post
    Can't wait for the gig! Bill, it's going to be great to hang with you guys again, it's been too long. And EO live baby!
    -Suss
    Yeah, it will be great to see you all again!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Wow, that's rare to have seen us before, we've only played two gigs ever. We are working on the goods and hope to deliver them. We'll be doing some things we haven't done live before, both new and old. The Froggers will totally rock, like they always do. I'm really glad you're coming!

I saw Frogg Café at NEARfest and they were great. Much as I'd love to see them again, I would really love to see Eccentric Orbit more.I may have to see if I can find a way to get there.
    That would be so awesome if you made it. I know you've been a fan for a long time, it would be great to see you, and for you to see us if it is possible.

FC at NEARFest was awesome. It was a little weird because I was so used to seeing these guys in small clubs that it took me a bit to adjust to hearing them in a larger context. By a couple of songs in I'd adjusted and really enjoyed it. Sound was really good, not too loud and I think I even took out my earplugs.

Getting excited!

Bill

Any mp3 samples of the bands anywhere?

Found on youtube, nevermind

Ticket bought, see you guys there.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Just wanted to bump this thread for my good friends at NewEars. Unfortunately, I won't see youze guys because I need to drive my son to the airport on Saturday for his return to Pomona College in sunny CA. Guy, Ian, Fred, Doug, Lou, Brett et als...wish I could be there (despite our typical 3 degree NE weather!) and hope to see you soon.

Should be great, I have two friends (Debi & Helaine) coming up from Baltimore/Washington for the show. See you on Saturday whoever's there
    Ian

Here's Sput's band. Damn good stuff!!!
    http://www.eoband.com/

Yeah Eccentric Orbits recent release is excellent, seen it on plenty of year end best of 2014 lists.
    Ian