Page 46 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1675

Thread: Classical music

So, I bought a few Glenn Gould albums from Discogs, so that's a lot of what I've been listening to the last three days. I listened Gould's Toccatas Vol. 2 and the English Suites albums. Those are all Bach, btw. And yesterday, finally, the three CD set of Gould's recordings of the Beethoven piano concerti (three of which were conducted by Leonard Bernstein), arrived. I listened to disc one last night before bed, listened to disc two just now, and I'll probably do disc three in just a few minutes.

I need to check out that Swedish Xmas stuff. Bach Gould is Gold.

Right now I'm spinning RVW Fantasia on Christmas Carols and Hodie (Xmas Cantata)...both are totally killer. Awesome shit.

Messiaen's organ works, Mahler 4 and 6, and Hitoshi Matsumoto's orchestral OST for Final Fantasy XII have kept me company during this weird December.

Considering re-exploring Erkki-Sven Tüür and Arvo Part's older works next month.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

More scandinavian christmas music

Traditional text, north-norwegian version

Listening to this set on Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Since it is Christmas - A Swedish Folk Christmas

Beautiful music.Thanks for sharing and i'm ordering it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I've been listening to this French composer lately. He died during WWI while defending his house from Germans. He wrote 4 symphonies and some other works still survive, but I've heard that many of his works perished in the fire in his house when he died. Sad.

Rick

David Lang

Not sure if this has been discussed here yet, but really enjoying the new Ash Fure album

I posted the Bandcamp link to Tristan Perich-Drift Multiply in post #1121; here's a track from the cd

Last edited by walt; 01-03-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I've been listening to this French composer lately. He died during WWI while defending his house from Germans. He wrote 4 symphonies and some other works still survive, but I've heard that many of his works perished in the fire in his house when he died. [/video]

Rick
    Yeah that's a shame. Never heard this composer, thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I've been listening to this French composer lately. He died during WWI while defending his house from Germans. He wrote 4 symphonies and some other works still survive, but I've heard that many of his works perished in the fire in his house when he died. Sad.

Rick
    Thank you very much for your post. I have not heard of this composer before. You should never be sure that you already know everything and have heard a lot. You can always find something incredibly beautiful by chance!

Maurice Ohana 1913-1992

https://operawire.com/q-a-met-orches...-organization/

This is really some seriously scary shit. The MET still calls my cell constantly asking for donations. Seeing Die Walkure was one tje grestest musical experiences in my life. They have to survive this, its a must. I might donate again, I feel terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    https://operawire.com/q-a-met-orches...-organization/

This is really some seriously scary shit. The MET still calls my cell constantly asking for donations. Seeing Die Walkure was one tje grestest musical experiences in my life. They have to survive this, its a must. I might donate again, I feel terrible.
    It's a drag! And I don't know how many of the world's orchestras and chamber groups are going to survive without massive support from donors? BTW, Julia Bruskin and her husband are the artistic directors of the Skaneateles Festival up here in the Finger Lakes region. I've seen her play several times and she is a badass!

Picked up this one today.

Sounds somewhat like classical but isn't:

(On the other hand, in time, everything becomes classical)

Wagner - Die Walkure, live 1955 (stereo) Joseph Keilberth, conductor

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Wagner - Die Walkure, live 1955 (stereo) Joseph Keilberth, conductor
    Ooooh! What did you think? The second half of Act III is some of my favorite shit ever...Magic Fire Music.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ooooh! What did you think? The second half of Act III is some of my favorite shit ever...Magic Fire Music.
    It rocks! I never realized those 1955 live Rings were recorded in stereo by Decca with the best engineers and equipment of the day. Apparently they were shelved because a top producer who returned to Decca that year didn't like live recordings and they were planning for the Solti studio series. Anyway, I don't have the box that came out on Testament but I listened to Die Walkure on YT.

I've been doing a lot of opera on CD and YT lately. I watched two Bluebeard's Castle films (Adam Fischer, and Solti), Abaddo's 1987 Wozzeck, and Karajan's Don Carlo with Carreras, which is pretty dramatic. I just got the Kempe Lohengrin, and two Tristan's. Karajan 1972, and the classic Furtwangler 1953 on EMI. I buy everything used on eBay or Discogs. And I found a couple at my local record store including R. Strauss's Die Frau Ohne Shatten by Solti. That one kicks butt! A great recording.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    It rocks! I never realized those 1955 live Rings were recorded in stereo by Decca with the best engineers and equipment of the day. Apparently they were shelved because a top producer who returned to Decca that year didn't like live recordings and they were planning for the Solti studio series. Anyway, I don't have the box that came out on Testament but I listened to Die Walkure on YT.

I've been doing a lot of opera on CD and YT lately. I watched two Bluebeard's Castle films (Adam Fischer, and Solti), Abaddo's 1987 Wozzeck, and Karajan's Don Carlo with Carreras, which is pretty dramatic. I just got the Kempe Lohengrin, and two Tristan's. Karajan 1972, and the classic Furtwangler 1953 on EMI. I buy everything used on eBay or Discogs. And I found a couple at my local record store including R. Strauss's Die Frau Ohne Shatten by Solti. That one kicks butt! A great recording.
    That’s interesting to hear. I didn’t know about that ring cycle. I’ll have to check it out. You can never have to many rings.

Thanks
    Rick