Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1676

Thread: Classical music

The Symphonies of Wind Instruments (French title: Symphonies d'instruments à vent) is a concert work written by Igor Stravinsky in 1920, for an ensemble of woodwind and brass instruments. The piece is in one movement, lasting about 9 minutes. It is dedicated to the memory of Claude Debussy, who died in 1918, and was premiered in London on June 10, 1921, conducted by Serge Koussevitzky.

A piano reduction by Arthur Lourié was published in 1926 (White 1979, 292), a full score appearing only after Stravinsky re-orchestrated the work in 1947 (Howe 2006).

Stravinsky is one of those odd composers for me. The symphonies of wind instruments is a favorite of mine along with several more of his works but he also wrote music which I don’t like at all. He was one of those composers whose music varied a lot throughout his career. Not that I have a problem with his music being so different but that some works just don’t designate with me at all while others I simply love.

I got the Svend Nielsen CD with Carillons, Nightfall and Sinfonia concertante last spring. Busted it out the other night and have been wrapping my sweaty ears around Carillons for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    My brother just got the Hong Kong Ring. So I’m interested in getting it from him eventually to listen to.
    Sweet. It's super great.

Bent Sørensen is really interesting !

So the latest addition to the classical music wing of my collection is a 17 CD (!!!) box of Peter Hurford's recordings of Bach's organ music. Back when I was around 13 years old (not quite before the dawn the time, and certainly not before ZZ Top), I borrowed a Hurford LP from the library, entitled Toccata. I'm not sure what lured me toward listening to Bach, or even his organ music, beyond the fact that I had seen the Toccata And Fugue In D Minor cited as a frequently piece of organ music, so it seemed like a good place to start. As near as I can tell, based on the info I can find on Discogs, that particular LP is contained with the first three discs of this boxset, and there's plenty of other fine music here.

I think the next big classical music thing I'm gonna go for are the Widor Organ Symphonies. But first i need to digest the Hurford box.

You can never go wrong with Bach, allthough his output is enormous, and not everything is equally interesting.

I can get Bached-out for sure, but when the mood strikes, he's one of the bestestest. The Passions and Cantatas are endless-giving gifts. I have a 2-CD set with Hurford - not sure I could do a 17-banger! Good luck and congrats though
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I have one of Marie Claire Alain's complete organ sets but more often than not I reach for my E. Power Biggs single CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    You can never go wrong with Bach, allthough his output is enormous, and not everything is equally interesting.
    Just like the preacher writes a new sermon for each week's Sunday service, Bach as the church kapellmeister wrote a new piece of music. Like Bach's music, some sermons are better than others.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I can get Bached-out for sure, but when the mood strikes, he's one of the bestestest. The Passions and Cantatas are endless-giving gifts. I have a 2-CD set with Hurford - not sure I could do a 17-banger! Good luck and congrats though
    Yeah, I'm not sure what really possessed me to go whole hog on this one, other than that I'm seem to have this thing where I "need to hear everything. And the price I got from Amazon was just under 50 bucks, comes out to something like 3 bucks per disc. I'm in the process of preparing some playlists as I rip these onto the CD player, which follow the LP configurations these recordings were first released in, back in the late 70's and 80's. So, I should be able to listen to these in small doses as I like.

As for being Bached out, besides this set, I've got 12 individual CD's of Glenn Gould's Bach recordings (no I don't have either of the Goldbergs, I've got a series of reissues that came out in circa 2003, I think. I aslso have a double CD of the Brandenburgs and I think I have a single CD of the Orchestral Suites.

Ya know, now that I think about it, one of the reasons I got interested in Bach's music, was a piece in Rolling Stone about the greatest singles of the rock era, ya know it was one of their "Top 100" things or whatever. Anyway, Whiter Shade Of Pale was included in the list, and was described as "Bach's Orchestral Suite No. 3 filtered through When A Man Loves A Woman". I think that's what led me toward Bach, because I remember borrowing the double LP the library had of the Orchestral Suites, to hear what whichever crank at RS was on about, and then later I also borrowed the Peter Hurford Toccata album. It's hard to remember which came first, both happened around the same time. And of course there was Switched On Bach, which fits in there someplace, too.

I've become a big fan of Estonian composer, Erkki-Sven Tüür over the last couple of years.

And that was before I found out he was a founding member of the Estonian prog band, In Spe. He decided to go back to school to study classical composition.

Pretty much every orchestral piece I have heard from him has been very good.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Just like the preacher writes a new sermon for each week's Sunday service, Bach as the church kapellmeister wrote a new piece of music. Like Bach's music, some sermons are better than others.
    Yeah, I'm starting to feel that way, too. I'm on disc 10 of this Hurford set, which is devoted to the chorales from the Neumaster Collection, and I'm feeling maybe there's a bit of a sameness to some of the pieces on this disc.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, I'm starting to feel that way, too. I'm on disc 10 of this Hurford set, which is devoted to the chorales from the Neumaster Collection, and I'm feeling maybe there's a bit of a sameness to some of the pieces on this disc.
    Dont burn out or build up Bach-fatigue. Bach is fantastic, but binging Bach is a bit of a project.

Perhaps I like Elisabeth Schwarzkopf even more for this music

https://youtu.be/Cs0vSC9DUhU?t=886

Dont burn out or build up Bach-fatigue. Bach is fantastic, but binging Bach is a bit of a project.
    Well, for the moment, I just want to gget through this boxset, so I know none of the discs are defective. But I know what you mean. I usually try not to binge on anything (well, I do sometimes, like the Tull-a-thon the other day, but I avoid listening to a given record multiple times in the same week or whatever...I sometimes go YEARS without listening to some of my favorite records).

^ man I'm so opposite! I binge like an addict.

Now you’re talking. I love both Jesse Norman and these pieces of music

Love Faure's requiem, ever since I sang it in High School chorus.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."