Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920

Thread: Classical music

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    So I'm seeing Die Walküre at The Met in NYC on Monday night (March 25). Really excited for it - my first opera and my first time at The Met. Ticket was $190.

https://www.metopera.org/discover/synopses/die-walkure/
    I bet it will be spectacular. Will await your report. I've seen a few operas and they were all great, esp. now that they project subtitles.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

I saw my first Wagner opera last night at opening night for Die Walküre at The Met. Sat in the side Parterre - had great close views of the stage action plus amazing views of the orchestra, and especially Phillipe Jordan. Overall it was an intense, amazing experience! The orchestra sounded great save for some clams in the lower brass at points (and some intonation issues as well).

I really loved/liked most of the cast, especially Christina Goerke - she was fabulous - maybe as good as Debra Voight for me. Greer Grimsley wasn't my favorite Wotan if I'm honest - he didn't seem to really carry his voice as well as Morris and Terfel before him - but don't get me wrong - he did a fine job. Eva-Maria Westbroek also did a tremendous job as Sieglinde.

The Machine was very cool live in person and seemed to work really well. My only qualm was that I didn't have a straight on view so it wasn't as effective from an angle, but still very very cool.

Phillipe Jordan is an AMAZING conductor - I had a clear, straight shot of him, and I was watching him for many minutes at a time. He is a superb technician - super clear in his patterns, cues, emotions, etc. I am a 22-year veteran orchestra teacher/player, and this guy really blew me away. I am an instant huge fan of his.

The place was PACKED and it was really funny seeing some Wagnerheads walking around with viking helmets during intermissions.

Not 100% perfect but what an evening! I may have try and see Götterdämmerung now on 27 April! I am tired as shit right now but it was more than worth it.

PS - Met HD is streaming Saturday's 30 March performance in theaters - worth seeing for sure.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Thanks, Frank! Get some rest.

The first opera I ever saw was Parsifal. Show started at 6pm and ended close to midnight. Extremely intense opera and very long. Wagner didn’t want his audiences to leave without being exhausted. I can’t imagine sitting through four nights of the ring. Love the operas though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Met isn’t the same without James Levine

Best Crumb CD I've picked up so far. Some very interesting pieces for various ensembles and solo performers. Superb, dynamic recording from Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The Met isn’t the same without James Levine

I loved Levine's Rings (recordings and DVDs) but Phillipe Jordan is a masterful conductor - I know a trombone player in the orchestra who played Monday night and he said it is very easy and a pleasure to perform under Jordan's baton.

Spatial chamber, classical avant garde, something like that: https://newfocusrecordings.bandcamp....ce-cycle-vol-1

The Bride of Frankenstein: The Creation of the Female Monster · Charles Gerhardt

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    This must be listened to in 5.1 surround. In the final I pini della via Appia section, there are extra brass players up in the audience balconies, behind the conductor. Hearing this extra bass in the rear channels is pretty prolific.
    Last edited by progmatist; 1 Week Ago at 04:46 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I was digging on some Kilar today. I think this piece is some Kilar shit.

See what I did there?

Industrial prog - play it loud !

Another title on one of Alexander Mosolovs compositions is: Tractor's arrival at the Kolkhoz (1926/1927)

A. Avraamov - Symphony of Industrial Horns (1922)

Schostakovich: Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk, Op. 29 (arr. J. Conlon) : II. Gefahrliche Spannung (Dangerous...

Heard this for the first time last night. It takes the majesty of baroque brass, which I adore, and puts a more interesting modern spin on it:

"Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Industrial prog - play it loud !
    Yeah, that Mosolov piece is great. Shame that the rest of the work (a ballet called "Steel" IIRC) is lost. Also check out his Piano Concerto No.1, very Stravinskyesque. Or the very different, but hauntingly beautiful Spring Water from Front Roads (The first song in this video from the complete work):

William Schuman Symph 3 this morning...really great, always loved this cat.