Thread: Classical music

The Symphonies of Wind Instruments (French title: Symphonies d'instruments ŗ vent) is a concert work written by Igor Stravinsky in 1920, for an ensemble of woodwind and brass instruments. The piece is in one movement, lasting about 9 minutes. It is dedicated to the memory of Claude Debussy, who died in 1918, and was premiered in London on June 10, 1921, conducted by Serge Koussevitzky.

A piano reduction by Arthur Louriť was published in 1926 (White 1979, 292), a full score appearing only after Stravinsky re-orchestrated the work in 1947 (Howe 2006).

Stravinsky is one of those odd composers for me. The symphonies of wind instruments is a favorite of mine along with several more of his works but he also wrote music which I donít like at all. He was one of those composers whose music varied a lot throughout his career. Not that I have a problem with his music being so different but that some works just donít designate with me at all while others I simply love.

I got the Svend Nielsen CD with Carillons, Nightfall and Sinfonia concertante last spring. Busted it out the other night and have been wrapping my sweaty ears around Carillons for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    My brother just got the Hong Kong Ring. So Iím interested in getting it from him eventually to listen to.
    Sweet. It's super great.