Thread: Classical music

You guys know I have a ton of respect for him, and I dig a lot his stuff especially the later sonatas and SQs. However his music doesn't really excite me that much anymore and that's fine. That particular era only goes so far with my ears. I've played many Beethoven symphonies in orchestras too in undergrad and graduate school. If people don't dig Sibelius or Mahler or Ives on the level that I do, that is fine too. My favorite era of classical music is the late 19th into the 20th century, however I am also a huge medieval/renaissance music fan.

Understood, Frank. I love all that stuff too. I wouldn't be without any of this stuff in my collection from Bach and Beethoven to Ligeti and Takemitsu. I haven't really found any favorite pieces in the medieval / renaissance era but there's so much stuff and I'm starting late in life. It took me about 8-9 years to get a handle on a chunk of the repertoire from Wagner to Penderecki. And I know I'll never be intimately familiar with most of it. But I'm not gonna waste too much time listening to Beethoven symphonies and other very familiar stuff. There's too much other interesting music to listen to more often.

^^^
    John Downland, Henry Purcell , Orlando di Lasso, Palestrina...

Peanuts-beethoven.jpg

peanuts-hockey.jpg

Reidster - check out stuff by The Broadside Band, The Baltimore Consort, The Toronto Consort, Philip Pickett and the New London Consort, Early Music Consort of London, Hilliard Ensemble, Newberry Consort, Clemencic Consort, Sequentia, Ensemble Unicorn, The Kings Noyse, The Musicians of Swanne Alley, The Dufay Collective, etc etc ....the list goes on and on. All amazing stuff!
    Last edited by chalkpie; 11-18-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

From Henry Cowell's Three Anti-Modernist Songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ^^^
    John Downland, Henry Purcell , Orlando di Lasso, Palestrina...

Peanuts-beethoven.jpg

peanuts-hockey.jpg
    LOL.

Jamming some Saygun Symphonies 3 and 5. Have a CD of his 1st and 2nd on the way. Cool stuff.

Gentle Giant, eat your heart out!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Some people would want to throw large heavy objects at me for saying this, but imo there are symphonies by many other cats that are more interesting than Beethoven. Don't misunderstand me - he was brilliant and a true maverick - however if you like those you would probably love some later stuff being a prog fan. 9 is pretty amazing though, as are 3 and 7. Keep listening to this stuff though, your mind will be blown.
    Bach is god.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Reidster - check out stuff by The Broadside Band, The Baltimore Consort, The Toronto Consort, Philip Pickett and the New London Consort, Early Music Consort of London, Hilliard Ensemble, Newberry Consort, Clemencic Consort, Sequentia, Ensemble Unicorn, The Kings Noyse, The Musicians of Swanne Alley, The Dufay Collective, etc etc ....the list goes on and on. All amazing stuff!
    What about the LJIV?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Bach is god.
    I remember Jack Bruce saying Bach was the greatest bassist ever.

Bach is god.
    He is but he doesn't make my top 5, probably not even top 10. But he's incredible for sure. I do Bach binges now and then but then I can go a while without afterwards. I do the Passions every year.

What about the LJIV?
    ??

My dad used to say that Bach was a musical sewing machine.

Frank, try symphony no.6 by Rubbra. I think Sibelius fans will enjoy this one. I have the Del Mar CD but the whole cycle was recorded by Hickox.

??
    The London Jazz IV. I'm not a Jazz guy, but I wouldn't mind getting their An Elizabethan Songbook album.

https://www.discogs.com/LJ-IV-An-Eli.../master/559147

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Frank, try symphony no.6 by Rubbra. I think Sibelius fans will enjoy this one. I have the Del Mar CD but the whole cycle was recorded by Hickox.
    Ok thanks man. Will do.

Hopefully, I'm not going off topic here (I don't think I am because the OP asked for our favorite composers/pieces/etc). Anyway, I dug out the Perlman Edition boxset I bought at Borders (with, I think, a 10 or 20% discount coupon) about 15 years ago. It's a, I think, 13 CD box encompassing recordings Itzhak Perlman made for EMI in the 70's and 80's. Among the composers represented are Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Bruch, Beethoven, Korngold, Paganini, and Sibelius.

Right now, I'm listening to the Prokofiev disc from this set, which includes both of Prokofiev's two violin concerti, as well as the Sonata For Two Violins (which finds Perlman joined by Pinchas Zukerman). Prokofiev's one of my favorite composers from the sort of first third of the 20th century, ya know, too late to be Romantic, but not generally thought of as a "Contemporary" composer. Admittedly, though, I'm mainly only familiar with Comrade Sergei's first four symphonies, having not spent as much time as I'd like with his other works, so it's nice to be able to listen to these today.

Been playing lots of Sibelius tone poems and non symphony stuff since last night. Karalia Suite playing now. This is like, the gourmet shit.

NP: Shostakovich Violin Concerto No. 1, Itzhak Perlman, with Zubin Mehta conducting the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra

He is but he doesn't make my top 5, probably not even top 10. But he's incredible for sure. I do Bach binges now and then but then I can go a while without afterwards. I do the Passions every year.
    But for Mendelssohn conducting Bach's St. Matthew's Passion decades after Bach's death, nobody today would even know who Bach is.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I recently picked up a vinyl copy of Rubbra's Symphonies Nos. 6 and 8.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I love classical music! It helps me concentrate and relieve stress. Of course, I do not like all the works, perhaps I have not yet grown to some. Or maybe everything is simple and can not like it. But in general, classical music has lived and will live.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Been playing lots of Sibelius tone poems and non symphony stuff since last night. Karalia Suite playing now. This is like, the gourmet shit.
    Oh yeah. The tone poems are some of my fav Sibelius, period. I used to listen to The Wood Nymph every day....I mean every day. Lemminkainen has gotten about 73 gazillion spins over the years....I will never ever get tired of that stuff.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Oh yeah. The tone poems are some of my fav Sibelius, period. I used to listen to The Wood Nymph every day....I mean every day. Lemminkainen has gotten about 73 gazillion spins over the years....I will never ever get tired of that stuff.
    Yeah. It's all great. Definitely the Swan and Tapiola are top stuff, but it's all amazing.