Thread: Classical music

  1. #901
    I am not sure why, but with regards to classical music, I just can't listen to anything 'tonal' anymore. I get bored very quickly.

    I am not exactly happy with this situation, because an entire category of music, is no longer in my purview.

    On the plus side, there does seem to be an almost endless stream of new composers to discover, and/or new pieces by composers I am already familiar with.

    On the new discovery side, how have I gone so long without knowing about Robert Wittinger?!

    Not only can he write full length symphonies with the best of them, but he has the ability to write shorter pieces (in the 10 minute range) that are still : emotionally satisfying, challenging, virtuosic.


    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  2. #902
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I am not sure why, but with regards to classical music, I just can't listen to anything 'tonal' anymore. I get bored very quickly.

    I am not exactly happy with this situation, because an entire category of music, is no longer in my purview.

    On the plus side, there does seem to be an almost endless stream of new composers to discover, and/or new pieces by composers I am already familiar with.

    On the new discovery side, how have I gone so long without knowing about Robert Wittinger?!

    Not only can he write full length symphonies with the best of them, but he has the ability to write shorter pieces (in the 10 minute range) that are still : emotionally satisfying, challenging, virtuosic.


    No thanks, I can't listen to this. Sounds like everyone is doing something with no co-ordination with other musicians. (Or are they still tuning.)

  3. #903
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    . Sounds like everyone is doing something with no co-ordination with other musicians. (Or are they still tuning.)
    It didn't sound that bad to my ears but there's so much of this kind of music out there. It has to be something really special for me to want to listen again.

  4. #904
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I am not sure why, but with regards to classical music, I just can't listen to anything 'tonal' anymore. I get bored very quickly.

    I am not exactly happy with this situation, because an entire category of music, is no longer in my purview.

    On the plus side, there does seem to be an almost endless stream of new composers to discover, and/or new pieces by composers I am already familiar with.

    On the new discovery side, how have I gone so long without knowing about Robert Wittinger?!

    Not only can he write full length symphonies with the best of them, but he has the ability to write shorter pieces (in the 10 minute range) that are still : emotionally satisfying, challenging, virtuosic.
    I never really had any interest in Classical era Classical. It always sounded silly to me, like a nursery song. As my ear is trained to the point atonal music sounds more and more like music, I've lost my interest in earlier Romantic works as well.
    Last edited by progmatist; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:31 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  5. #905
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,506
    Tōru Takemitsu could be the thing for both camps?



  6. #906
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Tōru Takemitsu could be the thing for both camps?



    I am a big Takemistu fan!
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  7. #907
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,506
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I am a big Takemistu fan!
    Me Too !

  8. #908
    Member dt2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    mentone ca
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I am not sure why, but with regards to classical music, I just can't listen to anything 'tonal' anymore. I get bored very quickly.

    I am not exactly happy with this situation, because an entire category of music, is no longer in my purview.

    On the plus side, there does seem to be an almost endless stream of new composers to discover, and/or new pieces by composers I am already familiar with.

    On the new discovery side, how have I gone so long without knowing about Robert Wittinger?!

    Not only can he write full length symphonies with the best of them, but he has the ability to write shorter pieces (in the 10 minute range) that are still : emotionally satisfying, challenging, virtuosic.


    Lovely!

    One of my favorite understated serial works is Dallapiccola's Three Questions with Two Answers

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN5r6Mmdwv0

    (don't know to post videos)

  9. #909
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    945
    If you like solo piano check out some Marianne Schroeder, she's interesting.
    Last edited by hippypants; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:23 PM.

  10. #910
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    945
    ^^^Loved that Wittinger and Dallapiccola too, plus the Rothko art.

  11. #911
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,252
    Iíve been listening to Arthur Honeggerís Symphonies lately and itís reminded me of how much I love his music


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #912
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I’ve been listening to Arthur Honegger’s Symphonies lately and it’s reminded me of how much I love his music


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great cycle. I bought the Dutoit 2 disc set on Apex for 5 bucks.

  13. #913
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,988
    Hittin' some Sibelius again. I can't seem to really ever get away. Did Vanska's S3 last night with the Minneapolis Orch....phenomenal sonics.

    Did you guys ever dig into the big Box that like 19 of you ordered? A lot to dig in there
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  14. #914
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,988
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I never really had any interest in Classical era Classical. It always sounded silly to me, like a nursery song. As my ear is trained to the point atonal music sounds more and more like music, I've lost my interest in earlier Romantic works as well.
    My least fav era of so-called classical music too - I start getting interested in the mid-19th century and on....and of course baroque and prior.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  15. #915
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,988


    BC are my favorite early music ensemble ever...I love a TON of other early music groups but this group isn't afraid to "rock" and let their hair down sometimes. I have seen them about 6-7 times live, always an amazing experience. There are a good number of side projects from members like Ronn MacFarlane (lute), the former flautist Chris Norman, and former vocalist Custer LaRue....most of it is on the Dorian/Sono Luminous label (and most of the BC albums were recorded in the amazing Troy Savings Band Music Hall). This should appeal to phans of Tull, Gryphon, etc
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  16. #916
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,529
    Big fan of the Baltimore Consort.Saw them a couple of times in NYC.Outstanding.I love this cd.

    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  17. #917

  18. #918
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,988
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Big fan of the Baltimore Consort.Saw them a couple of times in NYC.Outstanding.I love this cd.
    Right on Walt! That French disc is one of my favs....a true desert island album. Did you catch them at The Cloisters in NYC? I've seen them 2 or 3 times there...the last time front row. It was beyond amazing! We were probably at the same gigs.

  19. #919

  20. #920
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,529
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Right on Walt! That French disc is one of my favs....a true desert island album. Did you catch them at The Cloisters in NYC? I've seen them 2 or 3 times there...the last time front row. It was beyond amazing! We were probably at the same gigs.
    I did!!-Spring 2016 if memory serves.Great place to see/hear Early Music.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  21. #921
    Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    I've been going through a Holmboe phase lately.
    I have been digging the CD with his Symphonies 11-13 lately. Good stuff.

  22. #922
    Member dt2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    mentone ca
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I have been digging the CD with his Symphonies 11-13 lately. Good stuff.
    Yeah, his symphonies are excellent, as are his string quartets.

  23. #923
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    748


    Jean-Baptiste Dupont

  24. #924
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,988
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post


    Jean-Baptiste Dupont
    Where's your Wakeman glitter cape man? This is crazy cool!

  25. #925
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,529
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post


    Jean-Baptiste Dupont
    Out-fucking-standing!!!!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •