Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music

I am not sure why, but with regards to classical music, I just can't listen to anything 'tonal' anymore. I get bored very quickly.

I am not exactly happy with this situation, because an entire category of music, is no longer in my purview.

On the plus side, there does seem to be an almost endless stream of new composers to discover, and/or new pieces by composers I am already familiar with.

On the new discovery side, how have I gone so long without knowing about Robert Wittinger?!

Not only can he write full length symphonies with the best of them, but he has the ability to write shorter pieces (in the 10 minute range) that are still : emotionally satisfying, challenging, virtuosic.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I am not sure why, but with regards to classical music, I just can't listen to anything 'tonal' anymore. I get bored very quickly.

I am not exactly happy with this situation, because an entire category of music, is no longer in my purview.

On the plus side, there does seem to be an almost endless stream of new composers to discover, and/or new pieces by composers I am already familiar with.

On the new discovery side, how have I gone so long without knowing about Robert Wittinger?!

Not only can he write full length symphonies with the best of them, but he has the ability to write shorter pieces (in the 10 minute range) that are still : emotionally satisfying, challenging, virtuosic.

No thanks, I can't listen to this. Sounds like everyone is doing something with no co-ordination with other musicians. (Or are they still tuning.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    . Sounds like everyone is doing something with no co-ordination with other musicians. (Or are they still tuning.)
    It didn't sound that bad to my ears but there's so much of this kind of music out there. It has to be something really special for me to want to listen again.

I never really had any interest in Classical era Classical. It always sounded silly to me, like a nursery song. As my ear is trained to the point atonal music sounds more and more like music, I've lost my interest in earlier Romantic works as well.
    Last edited by progmatist; 06-02-2020 at 04:31 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Tōru Takemitsu could be the thing for both camps?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Tōru Takemitsu could be the thing for both camps?

I am a big Takemistu fan!
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I am a big Takemistu fan!
    Me Too !

Lovely!

One of my favorite understated serial works is Dallapiccola's Three Questions with Two Answers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN5r6Mmdwv0

(don't know to post videos)

If you like solo piano check out some Marianne Schroeder, she's interesting.
    Last edited by hippypants; 06-03-2020 at 02:23 PM.

^^^Loved that Wittinger and Dallapiccola too, plus the Rothko art.

I’ve been listening to Arthur Honegger’s Symphonies lately and it’s reminded me of how much I love his music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I’ve been listening to Arthur Honegger’s Symphonies lately and it’s reminded me of how much I love his music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great cycle. I bought the Dutoit 2 disc set on Apex for 5 bucks.

Hittin' some Sibelius again. I can't seem to really ever get away. Did Vanska's S3 last night with the Minneapolis Orch....phenomenal sonics.

Did you guys ever dig into the big Box that like 19 of you ordered? A lot to dig in there
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I never really had any interest in Classical era Classical. It always sounded silly to me, like a nursery song. As my ear is trained to the point atonal music sounds more and more like music, I've lost my interest in earlier Romantic works as well.
    My least fav era of so-called classical music too - I start getting interested in the mid-19th century and on....and of course baroque and prior.

BC are my favorite early music ensemble ever...I love a TON of other early music groups but this group isn't afraid to "rock" and let their hair down sometimes. I have seen them about 6-7 times live, always an amazing experience. There are a good number of side projects from members like Ronn MacFarlane (lute), the former flautist Chris Norman, and former vocalist Custer LaRue....most of it is on the Dorian/Sono Luminous label (and most of the BC albums were recorded in the amazing Troy Savings Band Music Hall). This should appeal to phans of Tull, Gryphon, etc

Big fan of the Baltimore Consort.Saw them a couple of times in NYC.Outstanding.I love this cd.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Big fan of the Baltimore Consort.Saw them a couple of times in NYC.Outstanding.I love this cd.
    Right on Walt! That French disc is one of my favs....a true desert island album. Did you catch them at The Cloisters in NYC? I've seen them 2 or 3 times there...the last time front row. It was beyond amazing! We were probably at the same gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Right on Walt! That French disc is one of my favs....a true desert island album. Did you catch them at The Cloisters in NYC? I've seen them 2 or 3 times there...the last time front row. It was beyond amazing! We were probably at the same gigs.
    I did!!-Spring 2016 if memory serves.Great place to see/hear Early Music.

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    I've been going through a Holmboe phase lately.
    I have been digging the CD with his Symphonies 11-13 lately. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I have been digging the CD with his Symphonies 11-13 lately. Good stuff.
    Yeah, his symphonies are excellent, as are his string quartets.

Jean-Baptiste Dupont

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

Jean-Baptiste Dupont
    Where's your Wakeman glitter cape man? This is crazy cool!

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

Jean-Baptiste Dupont
    Out-fucking-standing!!!!