Thread: Classical music

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Havenít played that in awhile. Always liked it. Have to pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When in doubt, pull it out.

Various Tone Poems

Received that Sibelius box a few days ago.I'll get to it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm not a big fan of chamber music and there's a ton of it coming out from modern composers. This one was a pleasant surprise for me - not earth-shattering in breaking new ground, but just a really nice listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    I'm not a big fan of chamber music and there's a ton of it coming out from modern composers. This one was a pleasant surprise for me - not earth-shattering in breaking new ground, but just a really nice listen.
    Years ago when I used to play radio on my home stereo I got up one Sunday morning and put on the classical station before anyone got up. They played one of Dvorak's string quintets and I sat there with a book in my hands trying to read but was so distracted with the piece that I became a fan of chamber music from that day on. This piece is beautiful, I love it!.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

Various Tone Poems
    Oooohhh! Let us know what you're thinking. Check out Tapiola at night with headphones.

Just finished disc 7 including the Wood Nymph, and Lemminkainen Suite. I really enjoyed every minute of it. I'm not going in order so this is the first disc I played. I'll turn up the volume on the next session and see about the dynamics that get mentioned concerning these recordings. I don't have good headphones so I'll just do the speakers for now.

Tapiola does indeed rock. I have the Adrian Boult version. Endorsed by Big Jean himself.

Bax quotes Tapiola in his 6th, but I haven't found the exact spot yet. It seems Bax was reduced to tears upon hearing Tapiola the first time. One thing I know is, Sibelius or not, Bax 6 fucking rocks big time. Opens with a freakin' metal riff.

OK, bye.

I find this always pairs nicely with any of the Sibelius tone poems!

For sure. I was just listening to his 1st Symphony today. Brilliant underrated composer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Years ago when I used to play radio on my home stereo I got up one Sunday morning and put on the classical station before anyone got up. They played one of Dvorak's string quintets and I sat there with a book in my hands trying to read but was so distracted with the piece that I became a fan of chamber music from that day on. This piece is beautiful, I love it!.
    Brahms sonata for cello and piano, Janos Starker, cello. This piece is still one of the most beautiful melodies I know.

Just finished disc 7 including the Wood Nymph, and Lemminkainen Suite. I really enjoyed every minute of it. I'm not going in order so this is the first disc I played. I'll turn up the volume on the next session and see about the dynamics that get mentioned concerning these recordings. I don't have good headphones so I'll just do the speakers for now.
    Those two pieces are favs of mine. How beautiful is the middle section of Wood Nymph with that solo cello melody? There is also a minimalist feel in this piece that was written before that was an actual thing. Also, is there a better triumphant anthem than the main theme....Damn I love that! Very interesting history about this piece, check it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wood_Nymph

PS - Reid - I recently bought Audio Technica ATH-M50x 'phones from Amazon for about $150 and they are outstanding for that price range. They do classical, jazz, chamber, prog, metal, etc all pretty damn well. More bass than my Sennheisers (which are unbeatable for solo piano and small chamber recordings, etc) and that is the reason I bought these. More fun and involving when listening to stuff like FZ, Canterbury, Magma, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Tapiola does indeed rock. I have the Adrian Boult version. Endorsed by Big Jean himself.

Bax quotes Tapiola in his 6th, but I haven't found the exact spot yet. It seems Bax was reduced to tears upon hearing Tapiola the first time. One thing I know is, Sibelius or not, Bax 6 fucking rocks big time. Opens with a freakin' metal riff.

OK, bye.
    Did not know that....very cool! I am somewhat hip to Bax but will do more. Cheers.

I have checked out Alfven for years and liked what I heard, but not sure anything ever really blew me away....will listen to this. Thx.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

PS - Reid - I recently bought Audio Technica ATH-M50x 'phones from Amazon for about $150 and they are outstanding for that price range. They do classical, jazz, chamber, prog, metal, etc all pretty damn well.
    As long as they sound decent and are comfortable. I have a smaller pair of titanium jobs that sound okay but I'm in pain after a half hour.

Quite a powerful opening, indeed! The Lloyd-Jones recording on Naxos.

I just received the Gerad Schwarz/Seattle Symphony full Daphnis et Chloe paired with Hovhaness' Meditation on Orpheus. Gonna wrap my sweaty ears around that sucker right now.

Quite a powerful opening, indeed! The Lloyd-Jones recording on Naxos.

Yes! Pure balls.

Yup. The Schwarz Ravel/Hovhanhess disc rocks. Sounds mighty nice on my system. Here's the Hovhanhess piece:

I just received the Gerad Schwarz/Seattle Symphony full Daphnis et Chloe paired with Hovhaness' Meditation on Orpheus. Gonna wrap my sweaty ears around that sucker right now.
    MMmmm......Daphnis.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Digging that Bax No. 6...Ordered.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Digging that Bax No. 6...Ordered.
    Dude!

Fascinating film. Features interviews with Klemperer and commentary from Boulez, among others.

The snow has started so I'm back to the Sibelius box. Listening to the Vanska symphony cycle. Nos. 1,4

Sibelius 6 always has a major wintry and Nordic sound to it

I have a disc of Petri Sakari and the Iceland Symphony doing Sibelius 6,7 and Tempest Suite 2 that is excellent. 7 is some major shit. Killer. Love me some 6, too.

OK, bye.

Just came home from a performance of Bach's "Goldberg" Variations.
    It was...complicated. Very well done.
    Jeffery Kahane was the pianist. He started off with a talk on the structure of the works and how the pieces were numerically interconnected.
    Then he played the whole thing straight through mostly with his eyes closed, no sheet music.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    ďA Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot ReadĒ - Unknown