Thread: Classical music

Here's a link for Presto Classical where you can sample all of the works. They have the lowest price too which is why it's on back order. https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ntial-sibelius

Here's another option with free shp and no tax. A bit more but still a good deal.
    https://www.grooves-inc.com/jaervi-o...899323313.html

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Methinks it might be time to dip my crusty misshapen toe into the music of Sibelius(i have none).
    Dude!

Methinks it might be time to dip my crusty misshapen toe into the music of Sibelius(i have none).
    I went from not knowing anything from him to his music being a solid top 5 and most likely top 3 classical composer for life, carved in marble. His music has had a profound affect on my life - the same way that Mahler has. And Shostakovich. And Ives. And Ligeti. And Wagner. And Bach. and Bartok. And Stravinsky. And Schoenberg. And.....
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Definitely get something with the tone poems. Them thangs is awesome.
    Oh god yes. I almost dig his tone poems more than his symphonies, but honestly I love them equally. And don't overlook Kullervo....it's long but there are moments that slay.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I went from not knowing anything from him to his music being a solid top 5 and most likely top 3 classical composer for life, carved in marble. His music has had a profound affect on my life - the same way that Mahler has. And Shostakovich. And Ives. And Ligeti. And Wagner. And Bach. and Bartok. And Stravinsky. And Schoenberg. And.....
    I gotta have variety but I've been doing quite a bit of Sibelius lately, along with Bax and Martinu symphonies. I've been listening to Sibelius no.1 quite a bit. And Schoenberg's music sounds better to me every year. I bought the Michael Gielen box and I love that thing!

I might just buy one Sibelius cd and if i dig it big time i'll be motivated to get more.I don't want to get a 10 cd set before i know he's a composer i really, really need more of.

I'm up to my coccyx in new acquisitions.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I don't want to get a 10 cd set before i know he's a composer i really, really need more of.
    Yeah, that would be like dunking your whole crusty foot in the water! But there are smaller sets of the 7 symphonies plus a few tone poems that sell for the price of a single CD. Paavo Berglund, and John Barbirolli are a couple good ones.

Loving that Sibelius piece, Frank. May have to jump in on the Essential CDs. (It looks like the FLACs & mp3s are more expensive than the CDs on the linked site!!??! Wtf??)
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Loving that Sibelius piece, Frank. May have to jump in on the Essential CDs. (It looks like the FLACs & mp3s are more expensive than the CDs on the linked site!!??! Wtf??)
    Awesome - glad you dig. It's the second movement of a piece called The Lemminkäinen Suite. It is essentially a programmatic symphony in all but name, but the pieces can be performed separately, and The Swan usually is. The whole thing is brilliant, but the third movement (Lemminkäinen in Tuonela) is a real monster and really really dark and heavy - just fucking amazing. My favorite recording is of course Vanska/Lahti on BIS (I believe he recorded it twice - the first is the best).

For further geeking out about this subject of Finnish mythology....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmink%C3%A4inen

For the past ten years I've nursed a second revenue stream selling CD's on Amazon, with an emphasis on Classical (despite proglodite being my seller name). As in prog, I tend to gravitate towards the obscure - and frequently when a larger re-seller (Zoverstocks or DeCluttr) get a hold of something obscure, they toss it up for $5 (or less). For some recordings, this is fine because they really deserve their obscurity. But there are some that I pull from my online inventory to give a spin, and I've found some nice jewels. This is a good example that I listened to while doing dishes tonight - reminds me a little of Ligeti in places:

And for those who like the really weird avant-garde chamber stuff - Rene Leibowitz' Chamber Music is also pretty cheap on Amazon right now:

May have to jump in on the Essential CDs.
    Did it. Won't be here til January, though.

Did it. Won't be here til January, though.
    The Box? Oh man that thing is a GEM. Once Sibelius bites you will be addicted and this set is the holy grail. Choral music, piano pieces, chamber music, and all of his amazing masterpieces in kilker performances and sound. Purchase of the decade!

Purchase of the decade!
    I ordered one too, so I'm gonna hold you to this! But seriously, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Yeah, I have no doubt. And 15 CDs for $50? It's a steal!

The hell with dipping my toe in the water, i'm dunking my dimpled ass in the deep end.Essential Sibelius is mine.I can't pass up such a bargain.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Ha - way to go fellers! Group hug all around! There is a ZERO percent chance that you won't love this thing. And you got off easy - remember that this just a "sampler" of the complete Sibelius Edition Box, which is something like 68 CD's in 13 separate volumes by genre. BIS should have won the Nobel prize for producing this thing. There are a few gems left off, such as the original Spring Song, but you can listen to that on streaming services (they are all available on those). The "problem" with this set is that I love so much of the core stuff (symphs, tone poems, choral music, etc) that it's hard to venture into the more obscure stuff. But it's all relatively amazing - even the violin concerto played by Leonidas Kavakos is stellar. Don't miss The Tempest suites here either - some of his most eclectic and craziest writing is in there, although you are still going to want to hear the full monty (the abbreviated suites are here). Wait until you hear The Wood Nymph! And the Tapiola here is the fucking best I've ever heard still.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    For the past ten years I've nursed a second revenue stream selling CD's on Amazon, with an emphasis on Classical (despite proglodite being my seller name). As in prog, I tend to gravitate towards the obscure - and frequently when a larger re-seller (Zoverstocks or DeCluttr) get a hold of something obscure, they toss it up for $5 (or less). For some recordings, this is fine because they really deserve their obscurity. But there are some that I pull from my online inventory to give a spin, and I've found some nice jewels. This is a good example that I listened to while doing dishes tonight - reminds me a little of Ligeti in places:
    OK cheers - will investigate. Love me some Ligeti, so I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Segerstam.
    He is my other Sibelius diety besides Vanska, but ultimately I would still take Vanska's recordings over Segerstam's in a fire. Segerstam's symphonies are a great companion to Vanska's though....really well recorded (Ondine label) and it's music of a Finn performed by a Finnish orchestra/Finnish conductor. He has a different view on these masterpieces, especially the amazing dark S4.

even the violin concerto played by Leonidas Kavakos is stellar.
    I have a short list of works that I truly enjoy in the violin concerto dept and the Sibelius is one of them.

Banned
    Did it.
    Me too! Rakastan sitä!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Me too! Rakastan sitä!
    Jesus, you guys have severe problems - you just can't help yourselves can you?

Banned
    Jesus, you guys have severe problems - you just can't help yourselves can you?
    I'll just speak for myself: yes I do and no I can't. But a nice Sibelius toe-tapper always helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I'll just speak for myself: yes I do and no I can't. But a nice Sibelius toe-tapper always helps.
    Ahh, I'm so proud of youse guys

An amazing collection of tunes.

Yeah, I have no doubt. And 15 CDs for $50? It's a steal!
    I have just about everything in the set and I'm happy with the recordings I have, but that is a steal and a great set for those wanting to get his music all in one set.