Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Lately i've been listening to recordings of Beethoven's late String Quartets.I purchased Quartetto Italiano and the Busch Quartet's recordings of these works.The Busch Quartet discs were restored/remastered by the Pristine Classical label and sound amazing for music recorded in the 1930's.Both are masterful renditions.It will take some time before i can say which i prefer(if that time ever comes,i don't have the world's most sensitive ears).

I'd be curious which recordings y'all have and your opinions of 'em(if any)
    I have one complete set by the Tokyo Quartet on RCA. A good bargain set that seems to have gotten universal praise.
    I have a more recent recording by the Tokyo Quartet on the Harmonia Mundi label. A masterful performance in my opinion. It's available as a Hi-Res download from HDTracks.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Written in 1916 - way ahead of his time

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Written in 1916 - way ahead of his time

Wow.Thanks for sharing this.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Duets for piano and harpsichord.Kinda cheesy title but i dig the music and that's what counts.

Wow.Thanks for sharing this.
    'Underrated' is an understatement - But Ligeti and Per Nørgaard knew him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OX_4cJyhgI
    He was in Denmark not well regarded because everybody loved Carl Nielsen (who is also a fine composer) who was a different 'school'. Langgaard was also a young and nervous guy, who didn't socialize well in the 'right'circles.

This should be the version to get (I am ordering it soon) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Langaard-Mu...s=music&sr=1-5

^^^^^

I just ordered this piece on a Chandos cd.

He is also 'not famous' for an opera called Antichrist.

http://www.langgaard.dk/musik/vaerker/antikriste.htm

Here's a quite underrated German composer I recently discovered, Karl Amadeus Hartmann.

Early on, he was quite a bit more tonal, with maybe more than a hint of Stravinsky. But his later career, he took on a bit more Webern and even a bit of Elliott Carter influences. Both parts of his career are very good!

Last edited by simon moon; 10-13-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    '

This should be the version to get (I am ordering it soon) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Langaard-Mu...s=music&sr=1-5
    The person i was supposed to get the Chandos cd from told me he doesn't have it anymore so i ordered the DeCapo cd you linked to.

i ordered the DeCapo cd you linked to.
    That's a good one, Walt. I like the conductor, Dausgaard. Check out his recording of Norgard's symphony No. 6 on Chandos, and the complete Mahler 10th by Seattle Symphony.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Here's a quite underrated German composer I recently discovered, Karl Amadeus Hartmann.
    Hartmann's symphonies are interesting and all different. I'm not really in love with any one work but I enjoy listening to them once in a while. I really like his string quartets. There's a good recording on the Nimbus label.

Yo, Dudes. I have already chatted with Reid about this, but y'all need to check out American Mavericks if you haven't already. It's Tilson Thomas conducting the SF Symphony in live performances of Henry Cowell's Synchrony and Piano Concerto, Lou Harrison's Concerto for Organ and Percussion Ensemble, and Varese's Ameriques. Supah monstah killah.

Frank, Walt, etc. Hit it!

Rick speaks and i obey!!!

Ordered from Amazon third-party dealer.

All hail Rick!!

I expect a full report!

I like the Harrison piece. A great sounding CD!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Yo, Dudes. I have already chatted with Reid about this, but y'all need to check out American Mavericks if you haven't already. It's Tilson Thomas conducting the SF Symphony in live performances of Henry Cowell's Synchrony and Piano Concerto, Lou Harrison's Concerto for Organ and Percussion Ensemble, and Varese's Ameriques. Supah monstah killah.

Frank, Walt, etc. Hit it!
    I already own other versions of the Cowell pieces, and the Varese piece.

But for some reason, I am just not into organ in classical music, despite my love for it in prog.

Same goes for electronics used in classical. Love synth in prog and fusion, not in classical.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

^^^^^^

Have you heard organ music by Messiaen?If you haven't heard this work by Messiaen, you might like it.YMMV

I got turned on to Max Reger about a month ago. Op. 73 is one of his major organ works.

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Pretty sure i posted this or another work by the French composer/organist Jeanne Demessieux.Solidly in the French modern organ tradition.I have the cd on the Ligia label,"A Trubute to Jeanne Demessieux" played by Hampus Lindwall.Wonderful music.

Currently wrapping my sweaty ears around Balada - Steel Symphony. From a CD that couples this with William Schuman's Symphony no. 7.

OK, Bye.

Just read the autobiography of Simeon ten Holt and currently listening to Canto Ostinato, which probably the work he is best known for. It is a kind of minimal music, but different. There is an infinite amount of versions of this piece possible, because it is up to the performers what parts they play and how often the parts are repeated. The version I have is for 4 piano's, but there are also versions for other instrumentens.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Hartmann's symphonies are interesting and all different. I'm not really in love with any one work but I enjoy listening to them once in a while. I really like his string quartets. There's a good recording on the Nimbus label.
    This work of Hartmann impressed me the most. Berg's influence can be heard, and Mahler's as well..

A seven part series hosted by Simon Rattle.