Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The first opera I ever saw was Parsifal. Show started at 6pm and ended close to midnight. Extremely intense opera and very long. Wagner didn’t want his audiences to leave without being exhausted. I can’t imagine sitting through four nights of the ring. Love the operas though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The first opera I saw was Aida by Verde. Absolutely fabulous. I have gone to other shows but never left feeling as good. I have since decided that opera is not my thing but I would see Aida again in a heartbeat.

Finnish Radio TV Symphony Orchestra - Hannu Lintu (cond.)

I've listened to this on CD many times but it's amazing to see it performed.

^outstanding! Thx Reid

Frank, I just had to watch it again. The frenzied intensity in the second half is something else.

I might have posted this before, but it is so good.

Narong Prangcharoen - Illuminations

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Frank, I just had to watch it again. The frenzied intensity in the second half is something else.
    Totally - this entire performance is so killer. I have always loved this piece for years but seeing it just adds layers of love! Is this the greatest piece posted on the first 30 pages of this forum?

Lintu has a Sibelius cycle on DVD/BR with this same orchestra that I have wanted for years but never pulled the trigger - got great reviews though. Also check out his Rautavaara: Cantus Arcticus, Piano Concerto No.1, Symphony No. 3 on Naxos.....I love that disc.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I really like Lintu. I'll have to pick up one of his recordings. I wouldn't mind having a modern Sibelius cycle. And I'll check out that Rautavaara CD on Naxos.

Watching him conduct that complex symphony, and even his facial expressions showed me he was having a great time even if he appeared a bit tired. I read about him on his website and he travels quite a bit as I'm sure most conductors do. But he relishes his experiences and interactions with artists around the world and the traveling too.

Watched the live Luto 3 last night. Killer, indeed.

4.CAGE: Atlas Eclipticalis
    1.CARTER: Variations for Orchestra
    3.BABBITT: Correspondences
    2.SCHULLER: Spectra

^ I own that CD!

Quick story....was riding back from dinner out some Saturday night years back and the classical station was playing this KILLER piece...so I waited until the end and when I found out it was Carter's Variations on the same CD I own I was thrilled and spun it again as soon as I got home. Been a huge fan ever since of that piece.

I bought this cd a few weeks ago and only in the last couple of days actually sat down to spin it.I dig.YMMV.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Quick story....was riding back from dinner out some Saturday night years back and the classical station was playing this KILLER piece...so I waited until the end and when I found out it was Carter's Variations on the same CD I own I was thrilled and spun it again as soon as I got home. Been a huge fan ever since of that piece.
    Isn't that great when the radio turns you onto music you already own? It's happened to me a few times.

Brilliant composing aside, that is a killer arrangement and wicked fuckin hard to play. Kudos to this cat.

And it's nice to hear something different played on classical guitar. I was playing as a teenager studying out of the Aaron Shearer, and Carcassi Method books. I should have kept at it.

And it's nice to hear something different played on classical guitar. I was playing as a teenager studying out of the Aaron Shearer, and Carcassi Method books. I should have kept at it.
    You should get back into it - get a cheap/modest Yamaha and start playing tunes. Yeah, there are few more Ravel/Debussy guitar albums out there that sound terrific.

I bought my wife a Yamaha steel string. I have a nice Alvarez DY74, and a Garcia classical guitar. But I'd have to buy a new one with lower action.

I heard this on WKCR-FM a couple of years ago and bought it.I play it every once in a while.Good stuff.YMMV.Daniel Lippel on classical guitar playing Bach.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I heard this on WKCR-FM a couple of years ago and bought it.I play it every once in a while.Good stuff.YMMV.Daniel Lippel on classical guitar playing Bach.
    Great. I know this piece well (I am a string teacher). Bach translates so well on so many different instruments. Here is another great one:

How about Japanese classical music for the koto?.In this case the music is played on the "nijugen" which is a Japanese koto with 21 strings instead of the usual 13 strings.A lovely cd of music played by Nanae Yoshimura.Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Great. I know this piece well (I am a string teacher). Bach translates so well on so many different instruments. Here is another great one:

If I was advising a kid who wanted to learn violin, I'd advise learning mandolin first. That way, they can learn the mechanics of the instrument, where the notes are et cetera, without having to worry about intonation. Then later, switch to violin and start working on intonation and bowing.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Wrapping my sweaty ears around this right now. Vincent Persichetti - The Hollow Men