Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music

Another good one is Mozart's Gran Partita with Netherlands Wind Ensemble with Edo De Waart on the Phillips label (Silver Line Classics)

Nancy Allen: A Celebration for Harp--three Centuries of music by Bach, Scarlatti, Loeillet, Respighi, Prokofiev & others on the EMI Angel Studio label

I'm taking care of the animals of the lady who plays the harpsichord and the man who plays the bassoon on a regular basis and I visited the concert. where they played this:

I also have the album they presented during this performance.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 01-19-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Same here, but I would add 20th Century, non-opera Italians Respighi, Casella, Pizzetti, Rota, and Malipiero. I would also expand Swedish to all of Scandinavia.
    Like I said some others do creeep in, but not much from Scandinavia in my listening though. Outside Scandinavia but close-by Sibelius and Arvo Pärt are favourites. I must admit I haven't listened to much modern Italian stuff apart from Morricone.

Per Nørgård !

Banned

So, if I wanted to purchase a cracking version of Holst's The Planets on CD, which direction might I look?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So, if I wanted to purchase a cracking version of Holst's The Planets on CD, which direction might I look?
    There are a lot of good recordings. I recently bought Andre Previn's on Telarc at a library sale for 1 dollar. Performed by the Royal Philharmonic. Great sound. I also have Bernstein's but it's an old recording. Vernon Handley is another good conductor.
    Last edited by StarThrower; 01-20-2019 at 05:20 PM.

This
    https://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets.../dp/B000001GP6

Excellent performance and sound

Banned
    Isao Tomita had an interesting electronic interpretation if you’re interested

https://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets...s%2C136&sr=8-8

^ I think I heard that one years ago, in the 70s, my cousin had it. I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    This
    https://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets.../dp/B000001GP6

Excellent performance and sound
    Agreed, it's the best Jupiter I've ever heard. Kickass recording.

btw - Hans Abrahamsen is Danish.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 01-22-2019 at 07:06 AM.

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/e...20of%20%201490

I'm sure I've sang praises on this before, but the Berliner Philharmoniker is having a special on their digital concert hall - roughly $16 for one month, unlimited viewings of incredible HD performances of pieces that range from Bach to Ligeti, etc. I am a subscriber and I've seen a boatload of these - its a no-brainier if you love classical or want to see it performed by one of the greatest bands in the world.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

On the stream there's a channel called Classica, which broadcasts concert performances of various kinds within the classical genre. I saw one which iirc was from 2015, which had a pianist accompanied by an orchestra. I don't know names or remember any of the pieces played, but the pianist appeared to be an Asian-American in maybe his 30s, and his skill level was off the charts. I hadn't seen such speed, dexterity, coordination, whatever. He could have played circles around any of the Prog-Rock guys. I'm not a piano fan as such, but it was very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/e...20of%20%201490

I'm sure I've sang praises on this before, but the Berliner Philharmoniker is having a special on their digital concert hall - roughly $16 for one month, unlimited viewings of incredible HD performances of pieces that range from Bach to Ligeti, etc. I am a subscriber and I've seen a boatload of these - its a no-brainier if you love classical or want to see it performed by one of the greatest bands in the world.
    They even give a 30 day free trial with the purchase of a player like a Roku, etc. One can always binge then cancel, if one were particularly cheap.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

On the stream there's a channel called Classica, which broadcasts concert performances of various kinds within the classical genre. I saw one which iirc was from 2015, which had a pianist accompanied by an orchestra. I don't know names or remember any of the pieces played, but the pianist appeared to be an Asian-American in maybe his 30s, and his skill level was off the charts. I hadn't seen such speed, dexterity, coordination, whatever. He could have played circles around any of the Prog-Rock guys. I'm not a piano fan as such, but it was very enjoyable.
    Dude - most serious classical musicians chops are off-the-charts unbelievable. You have to be seriously accomplished to play music of this caliber, yet alone land a gig in a major orchestra. And then to be a soloist like you're taking about is even more difficult. Even string bass parts for example in Mahler symphonies are SO hard, its ridiculous. But ask these folks to improvise and most will they give you 'deer-in-the-headlight' look

I've always thought that its harder to become a serious concert soloist than to become a brain surgeon....the difference being that the musician usually works their entire life at their craft versus the other person who is very bright and works hard for roughly 10-12 years.

Thanks in advance to any who wish to offer suggestions.
    Here is a list that I made that I give to my orchestra students. They usually have no idea what to listen to when it comes to classical, so this is just a gentle nudge in the right direction. This is by no means meant to be anything definitive (I could make many pages of stuff I really love) and it treads lightly on anything that is TOO radical or far out for them (no Xenakis, Cage, Webern, Stockhausen, etc) so that's why that stuff isn't on here. Having said that, a good portion of this stuff is desert island works for me. Enjoy (or not).

J.S. Bach – Brandenburg Concertos 1 – 6, The Six Cello Suites
    J. S. Bach - Goldberg Variations
    John Dowland – Complete Lute Works
    W.A. Mozart – Symphony No. 40 and 41
    Ludwig van Beethoven – Symphony No. 3, 5, 7, 9; Piano Concerto No. 5
    Richard Wagner – Overtures to Lohengrin, Die Meistersinger, Tristan und Isolde; Siegfried Idyll
    Richard Wagner - Der Ring des Nibelungen
    Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10 (I. Adagio only)
    Gustav Mahler – Das Lied Von der Erde
    Antonin Dvorak – Symphony No. 9
    Jean Sibelius – Symphony No. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
    Jean Sibelius – Tapiola; En Saga; Pohjola’s Daughter; Spring Song (early version); Nightride and Sunrise
    Jean Sibelius - Violin Concerto; Lemminkainen Suite (contains The Swan of Tounela); Finlandia, The Wood Nymph; Luonnotar
    Ralph Vaughan Williams – Symphony No. 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Sancta Civitas
    Ralph Vaughan Williams – In the Fen Country; Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis; Dona Nobis Pacem
    Claude Debussy – Preludes Book I and II; La Mer; Images for Orchestra; Nocturnes
    Claude Debussy - Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
    Maurice Ravel – Ma mere l’oye; Le Tombeau de Couperin; Alborada del Gacioso; Menuet Antiques
    Maurice Ravel – Pavane pour une infante defunte; Une Barque sur l’ocean; Rapsodie Espagnole
    Dmitri Shostakovich – Symphony No, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11
    Dmitri Shostakovich – String Quartets No. 3, 4, 6, 7, 13, 15
    Bela Bartok – Concerto for Orchestra; Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celeste; Dance Suite
    Bela Bartok – Hungarian Sketches; The Miraculous Mandarin; String Quartet No. 3, 4, 6
    Aaron Copland – Rodeo; Appalachian Spring; Symphony No. 2, 3; Variations for Orchestra
    Aaron Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man; El Salon Mexico, Our Town, Quiet City
    Charles Ives – Variations on “America”, Symphony No. 3, 4; Central Park in the Dark; The Unanswered Question, Psalm 90; Piano Sonata No. 2 (“Concord, Mass”)
    Igor Stravinsky – Le Sacre du Printemps; The Firebird; Les Noces; Petrouchka; Song of the Nightingale
    Igor Stravinsky – Agon, Symphony of Psalms, L’Histoire du Soldat
    Sergei Prokofiev – Romeo and Juliet, Cinderella, Symphonies 1-7, Scythian Suite
    Olivier Messian – Quartet for the End of Time; Turangalila Symphony
    Witold Lutoslawski – Symphonies 1-4; Livre pour Orchestre, Les Espaces
    Serge Prokofiev – Romeo and Juliet; Symphony No. 5; Cinderella
    Arnold Schoenberg – Chamber Symphony No. 1 and 2; Verklarte Nacht; Pelleas und Melisande
    Last edited by chalkpie; 01-31-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Banned
    I've always thought that its harder to become a serious concert soloist than to become a brain surgeon....the difference being that the musician usually works their entire life at their craft versus the other person who is very bright and works hard for roughly 10-12 years.
    No doubt! Hard work and perseverance will make you a brain surgeon (you can even be an idiot - proof: Dr. Ben Carson), but all the hard work in the world will not make you a concert soloist if you don't have a certain level of intrinsic talent IMO.

Here is a list that I made that I give to my orchestra students. They usually have no idea what to listen to when it comes to classical, so this is just a gentle nudge in the right direction. This is by no means meant to be anything definitive (I could make many pages of stuff I really love) and it treads lightly on anything that is TOO radical or far out for them (no Xenakis, Cage, Webern, Stockhausen, etc) so that's why that stuff isn't on here. Having said that, a good portion of this stuff is desert island works for me. Enjoy (or not).
    Thanks, Frank. It'll take me a while, but I'll be checking this stuff out.

Frank, just out of curiosity, why did you leave out Mahler's 6th?

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    And I would have added Saint-Saens - Organ Symphony

According to many, myself included, the most spiritually English piece of music ever written. It is my most favourite piece of music, bar none. It touches you deep in ancient memories in your cultural-heritage.

This theme tune by Carl Davis hit me hard when I watched World At War as a kid. It still gives me goosbumps every time I hear it, and it also made me love modern classical music.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Good catch! Probably an error on my part...leaving out M8 was not, it's just too...much....for most people, yet alone young kids. Personally I love it though. M6 too.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    This theme tune by Carl Davis hit me hard when I watched World At War as a kid. It still gives me goosbumps every time I hear it, and it also made me ....
    Ha, I know that one well! It's a really well crafted piece. I'm a huge WWII buff so I've seen all of that stuff. Good call.